Living and Working at Disney- Soarin's CM Journal

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Living and Working at Disney- Soarin's CM Journal

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Fri 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Just so I don't keep hijacking the MM thread and so I don't always have to post it in the Club 33 thread... here it is, Amy!

So for starters, most of you know that I have been a CM since 2009 when I did my first Disney College Program. I've been back officially active since my last CP in 2011 and am currently on an internship with the DCL, doing recruitment work at the offices in Celebration. This job will hopefully go part-time in June, my fingers are crossed for it.

So I have to post some photos here both from work and the parks and then all the events thus far... so what do you guys want first? How about my review of Art of Animation? Since I'm the only one on Sub thus far who has been on the grounds.
Last edited by Soarin08 on Mar Fri 02, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Living and Working at Disney- Soarin's CM Journal

Post by Amy » Mar Fri 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Bring any and all photos and reports on!! I just saw a quick little blurb on the christening of the Fantasy. It looks really swell ~ and oh my, what I wouldn't give for a ride in the AquaDuck :D

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Fri 02, 2012 8:02 pm

I'd say bring everything too but since the Art of Animation is fresh, I say post that first!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Fri 02, 2012 10:14 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I'd say bring everything too but since the Art of Animation is fresh, I say post that first!
Yup. Art of An. Bring it. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

DemonOfMusic
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DemonOfMusic » Mar Sat 03, 2012 7:41 am

Art of Animation first, and then whatever photos and reports you have!! I'm so excited :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy_bounce:
"They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway..."

The only two places I will ever need to be are Manhattan and Disney World.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Sat 03, 2012 10:56 am

Art of Animation would be a great start. I really haven't seen much of it at all.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Sun 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Can't wait

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi guys!

Well after tomorrow I'll be getting some things posted for everyone... tomorrow is the big day with the Fantasy and I've got to be in Celebration at 3am to meet up with my coworkers. So I'm off to bed shortly- early, yes, but I've got to get up around 2.30am to get ready. :shock: I'm bringing my phone and my regular camera so I'll do my best with photos of the ship- it'll be about dawn when it arrives so I might can get some decent shots. We'll see.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Mon 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Have fun!!

DemonOfMusic

Post by DemonOfMusic » Mar Mon 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Best of luck getting up about the time I'll probably go to sleep!
"They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway..."

The only two places I will ever need to be are Manhattan and Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Hi guys!

Well after tomorrow I'll be getting some things posted for everyone... tomorrow is the big day with the Fantasy and I've got to be in Celebration at 3am to meet up with my coworkers. So I'm off to bed shortly- early, yes, but I've got to get up around 2.30am to get ready. :shock: I'm bringing my phone and my regular camera so I'll do my best with photos of the ship- it'll be about dawn when it arrives so I might can get some decent shots. We'll see.
This is such a great opportunity for you ~ I'm so glad you are going to share with us!! :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Tue 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Bring it on Soarin!!! :D

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Tue 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Fantasy first.... I texted M-dude and MmeLeota each a pic this morning, only because I have their numbers. Amy saw what I've posted on Facebook thus far, dunno about Len and everyone else I have on there (I haven't looked). But either way.

So the Fantasy was at Castaway Cay yesterday (I think it was yesterday, I'd have to go back and reread the dispatch emails from the DCL president) before it made its final stop over at its home port in Port Canaveral- three weeks to get here from Germany! But it stopped off in Spain and NYC and a couple other places, if I remember correctly.

So four of us met up at Celebration at 3am to carpool to DTD, and we met the rest of our group there. 9 of us from the office went, including myself. Once we got to DTD, we checked in under the awning at Cirque (we had to RSVP for this like a month ago) and were given our voucher to get on the DCL bus. They had a light breakfast and coffee/tea/cocoa for us as well to take on the bus, so I got my morning tea fix like I have to do. :wink: They boarded us on numbered busses- our group was bus 4, which was also the bus we had to board to get back to DTD.

We left at 4.25am heading to the port. We were all sitting together and talked for a bit, but we all were still sleepy so we mostly just laid back, watched the DVD they had playing about the Fantasy, and then when that wrapped, the cell phones came out or we just went to sleep. I did some tweeting and posting on Facebook and Tumblr on the way over, just in case anyone was awake that early.

Once we arrived at the port, we got off the bus and they gave us one of these-

And one of these (I have two, a big one and then this small one they gave us at Jetty Park)-

Those of us who had had too much tea or coffee (raises hand) headed off for the restroom whilst the rest of our group found a good vantage point on the rocky beach by the canal. We had a perfect spot for photos, as there was no one in front of us. By now, it was around 5.35am and we still had a bit before the ship arrived. It was scheduled to come in between around 5.55am-6.05am, and I think it ended up coming around 6am, but don't quote me, I wasn't looking at the clock on my phone.

So finally we saw this ball of blue and red and yellow light way in the distance, and yes, that was it. It was officially coming, so needless to say, we all began just literally freaking out. Even at that distance, we could still see the massive size of the ship, and as it got closer, it got even more awe-inspiring.

And then-

They shot off fireworks and blew the horn and began to play "When You Wish Upon A Star," and we stood on the beach waving our Mickey hands at the crew who were out on all the decks. Thanks to the signal we had been told previously, we were able to spot our supervisor on the deck, who was on the crossing- she told us to watch for three flashlights in a row and sure enough, there they were!

I have far more pics but I'll split them up over the next few posts after this one. It was pretty short- maybe 10 minutes altogether- but it was beyond worth getting up at 2.15am for. We then just got back on the bus for Orlando, and were back at work by 7.45am. I took half the day off and came home and went to bed for a nap- I was exhausted! But I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

More pics coming next... and if I need to resize, let me know.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Tue 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Here are some fireworks shots (quality might not be amazing but I tried)-

Closer view on the port side with her name visible-

And again-

I'll leave it at that for now, finish the homework, and then show you guys the rest!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 06, 2012 8:24 pm

That is fun ~ I love that we have an insider for the excitement! :D
Looking forward to more when you get a change to post some more...