Not keeping it a secret any longer

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Not keeping it a secret any longer

Post by cy1229 » Feb Thu 02, 2012 11:09 am

I told you awhile ago (back in October, I think) that my mom and stepdad are taking us to WDW for the second time - it's pretty much all they use their DVC points for, taking us and my sister and stepsiblings and our families to WDW. ANYway, I also told you we were going to keep it a secret from my girls, ages 17 and 13.

However, the more I think about it, even though they'll have a week off of school, they're going to have to be able to plan at least a few weeks ahead. My older daughter will be a senior in high school and the younger will be an 8th grader at that point, and both are rather involved and busy with school work and their social activities, not to mention that we practically live at the pool for swim practices. And, because they do their own laundry, they'll have to get their stuff ready ahead of time.

So, the husband and I decided to tell the girls about our trip. We've ordered two sets of custom WDW maps to give them, with our trip dates on them. A friend of mine made "Mickey and Minnie" cupcakes with Oreos, mini Oreos, and red icing. I thought I'd pipe the dates on the Mickeys and then give the maps and the cupcakes to the girls.

Can you think of any other ways to tell them about our upcoming trip? We're going to take video of their reactions, and since the husband works afternoons it'll be on a weekend. Any other fun suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Not keeping it a secret any longer

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Fun! I shall put on my thinking cap!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Feb Thu 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Maybe order the vacation planning DVD..and tell them you want to watch a movie as a family...put that in and once it starts you can tell them!!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Thu 02, 2012 1:57 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:Maybe order the vacation planning DVD..and tell them you want to watch a movie as a family...put that in and once it starts you can tell them!!!!
That's what I would probably do. The thing that would make it best is if they never see the disc or the packaging. You could easily put in the movie and then bring out the cupcakes and maps. It would make for a really exciting evening.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Feb Thu 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Len90 wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:Maybe order the vacation planning DVD..and tell them you want to watch a movie as a family...put that in and once it starts you can tell them!!!!
That's what I would probably do. The thing that would make it best is if they never see the disc or the packaging. You could easily put in the movie and then bring out the cupcakes and maps. It would make for a really exciting evening.
I like it!

Of course, I'm also a big fan of keeping trips a secret. We successfully pulled it off twice - don't think we'll be able to do it again until they're all grown up, since our trips are now too regular to suprise them.

Whatever you do, enjoy the moment but try to remember your camera, too! Their faces when you first tell them are memories you'll keep forever.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Thu 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Ooo yes yes, good idea!!

Maybe also some type of scavenger hunt with clues that will lead up to them finding out the big surprise?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Thu 02, 2012 11:48 pm

Keeping it a secret is hard. Along time ago when I was a small kid my parents were talking about it the car and when it came to referring to the parks they would spell out D - I - S - N - E - Y. The thing is, even if you haven't learned to write your letters I think most kids still know how to spell "Disney" (or maybe that's only the Disney Nuts on the boards around here?). Any way, that's how they ruined the surprise trip to WDW back then...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Fri 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I like the idea about the vacation planning video! DH has already ordered one, and it came not too long ago. Wouldn't be difficult to slip that into another movie case, something we all enjoy, and pop it in. I can't wait to divulge the plan! I'm getting all excited all over again, it's like a second "Have made the reservation" day! :ccat: :goofy_bounce: :mickey3: :nemo:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Sat 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Well we ended up telling them today - the maps came today and we took the girls out to dinner. Put the map packets on the table in front of them (with their eyes closed, of course) and then while videoing told them to open their eyes. I put the video clip on Facebook. Now the real fun begins!!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Sat 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I just watched the vid.... too cute. Now the excitement of them planning begins! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 19, 2012 12:13 am

cy1229 wrote:Well we ended up telling them today - the maps came today and we took the girls out to dinner. Put the map packets on the table in front of them (with their eyes closed, of course) and then while videoing told them to open their eyes. I put the video clip on Facebook. Now the real fun begins!!!
Yay ~ scuttling off to fb to watch the video now :D
Annnnnnd...I'm back. Cute ~ Ellie must have been tired. I'm guessing she perked up quickly once she figured it out though :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Sun 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Well we ended up telling them today - the maps came today and we took the girls out to dinner. Put the map packets on the table in front of them (with their eyes closed, of course) and then while videoing told them to open their eyes. I put the video clip on Facebook. Now the real fun begins!!!
Annnnnnd...I'm back. Cute ~ Ellie must have been tired. I'm guessing she perked up quickly once she figured it out though :D
Ellie doesn't react with as strong of emotions as Meghan does. Ellie is much more steady (at least for now) in her highs and lows. Meghan has super high highs and rock-bottom lows... and we all know about them. I think it's more Meghan's age (17) because she wasn't always like that.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 19, 2012 1:23 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Ellie doesn't react with as strong of emotions as Meghan does. Ellie is much more steady (at least for now) in her highs and lows. Meghan has super high highs and rock-bottom lows... and we all know about them. I think it's more Meghan's age (17) because she wasn't always like that.
Ah yes, one of the most entertaining part of dinner with friends last night was my friends' 16 year daughter. Nothing like that wide swing of the teenage girl emotions :shock: Her younger brothers wisely steered clear of all the festivities, except when it came time to flambe the bananas foster ~ then they were right there ;) :lol: