Art of Animation Resort

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Art of Animation Resort

Post by secondstar » Jan Tue 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Have you heard about Walt Disney World opening up a new resort for 2012? It will be a value resort with four different themes: Finding Nemo, Ariel, The Lion King, and Cars. From what I understand, it is the remainder of the planned full project of Pop Century. Is this rumor true? Will it be available for September 2012? Just wondering what you think.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Art of Animation Resort

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 17, 2012 8:56 pm

secondstar wrote:Have you heard about Walt Disney World opening up a new resort for 2012? It will be a value resort with four different themes: Finding Nemo, Ariel, The Lion King, and Cars. From what I understand, it is the remainder of the planned full project of Pop Century. Is this rumor true? Will it be available for September 2012? Just wondering what you think.
At least parts of it should be open. According to their website it will start opening in phases starting in May 2012. And they are already taking reservations. It looks like it will be very nice.
Here is the link to what I was looking at...http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resort ... on-resort/

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Tue 17, 2012 9:56 pm

it not really a value resort. They are all suites, about 220 a night I think.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Jan Tue 17, 2012 10:29 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:it not really a value resort. They are all suites, about 220 a night I think.
Well, it is and it isn't. Pricewise, it's value resort-priced for a suite, but you're right, $220 is hardly a "value."

Basically, it's a good option for larger families who want to be more economical than Disney usually allows them to be.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:15 am

Well. it's not all suites...
With 1,120 suites designed after Finding Nemo, Cars and The Lion King, and 864 rooms inspired by The Little Mermaid, you'll feel like you're staying in the middle of a Disney story with all of your favorite characters. Family suites are scheduled to open in May 2012 and standard rooms are scheduled to open December 31, 2012.
The prices seem to range from $249 for suites in the value season weekday. I found a holiday price for a standard room, probably because that is when those rooms are slated to open. That is $179 a night. So I would put this resort more toward the moderate category. But I do think it is considered a "value" resort. As I recall, Pop Century rooms are more expensive than the All Star resorts too.

secondstar

Post by secondstar » Jan Wed 18, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you, everyone. My DS2 is a HUGE Mater fan!
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 10:10 am

i think the first wave is suites with Nemo themeing

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 10:27 am

I saw the artists' concept drawings of the rooms, which I think were actually done via computer, and thought they would be a GREAT way for families with younger children to vacation. When the girls were small, their father and I had to retire early because watching TV kept them awake. A suite with an area to eat breakfast or snacks will allow parents to stick to more of their regular routine and not disrupt bedtimes or nap times for little princes and princesses. I wish these suites had been around when we took the girls in 2001!

However, I'm not happy with the location. We stayed at Pop in 2008 and I thought the completion of the first half of the century would be really neat - I was especially looking forward to the 1900s, 1910s, and 1920s themed rooms. (Art deco!!!) So I'm sad Disney abandoned those plans altogether.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Amy wrote:Well. it's not all suites...
With 1,120 suites designed after Finding Nemo, Cars and The Lion King, and 864 rooms inspired by The Little Mermaid, you'll feel like you're staying in the middle of a Disney story with all of your favorite characters. Family suites are scheduled to open in May 2012 and standard rooms are scheduled to open December 31, 2012.
The prices seem to range from $249 for suites in the value season weekday. I found a holiday price for a standard room, probably because that is when those rooms are slated to open. That is $179 a night. So I would put this resort more toward the moderate category. But I do think it is considered a "value" resort. As I recall, Pop Century rooms are more expensive than the All Star resorts too.
I made similar observations, I think they are inflating the prices this year because it is new. I expect the rate to mirror the Music suites which tend to be double the price of a value room. We stayed at AKL the first year it was open and paid current Savannah room price for a standard view, just because it was new.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 5:02 pm

We probably won't be in a rush to stay at this one, but if we're staying at Pop Century I will have to walk over and take a look, and maybe eat in the food court there!

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Wed 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Don't wanna sound like a debbie-downer, but why in the blazes would they make a whole section devoted to Cars? This is only the first section to open, so I'm assuming there will be other sections opening up? Hopefully with better themes mayhaps? How about a Lilo and Stitch suite? Or a Alice In Wonderland suite? Man that'd be awesome, going to bed with a giant purple cheshire cat smiling at me from the ceiling. Hahahaha, yes.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:19 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:i think the first wave is suites with Nemo themeing
It is, 30 May 2012 I think is the date it opens.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:29 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Don't wanna sound like a debbie-downer, but why in the blazes would they make a whole section devoted to Cars? This is only the first section to open, so I'm assuming there will be other sections opening up? Hopefully with better themes mayhaps? How about a Lilo and Stitch suite? Or a Alice In Wonderland suite? Man that'd be awesome, going to bed with a giant purple cheshire cat smiling at me from the ceiling. Hahahaha, yes.
You have heard about the whole land dedicated to Cars out in DCA right?! ;)

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 8:39 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Don't wanna sound like a debbie-downer, but why in the blazes would they make a whole section devoted to Cars? This is only the first section to open, so I'm assuming there will be other sections opening up? Hopefully with better themes mayhaps? How about a Lilo and Stitch suite? Or a Alice In Wonderland suite? Man that'd be awesome, going to bed with a giant purple cheshire cat smiling at me from the ceiling. Hahahaha, yes.
Nemo opens first, not Cars... and what's wrong with Cars? I thought the movie was good enough. Not my favourite but certainly not bad. Creative, to say the least. You also have to keep in mind, this resort is geared specifically towards families, so of course the theming will be consistent with what children will recognise.

coxsarmy
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by coxsarmy » Jan Sat 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Got a memo from a friend yesterday saying the suites will have a Queen in Master bedroom, Queen sleeper sofa in den as well as an INOVA table Bed.
Probably pretty neat... but hope the bed doesn't ever come loose on those eating breakfast. ha
Link to INOVA BED
http://www.inovallc.com/cont_tablebed.html