DW Walking Shoes!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

DW Walking Shoes!

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 9:24 am

Hey Everyone!

As experienced Disney World walkers - I have a question for you:

I received a pair of Tom's shoes for Christmas and am wondering if anyone knows if those shoes (just the regular canvas ones) can hold up for Disney walking. I know Disney World walking is unlike any other kind of walking, so I thought I would go to the experts. I am looking for a lighter pair of good walking shoes for the week and wondering if anyone has opinions or if anyone has Tom's shoes and what they think.

THANKS!

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: DW Walking Shoes!

Post by dstrawn9889 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 9:30 am

a brand-spankin new set of crocs from off the hanger are the best i have found at the parks (and the uglier, the more comfortable)... dunno about canvas deck shoes or chucks tho, was out of those in the mid 80's

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 28, 2011 10:33 am

I was unfamiliar with the Tom's brand of shoes so I went and looked at a picture online. I suppose it depends on how much walking you do, and what you normally wear, but those shoes don't look like they would be comfortable for a lot of walking at the parks. I like tennis shoes, I know some prefer crocs, and others really like their birkenstocks. I think it comes down to what you are comfortable in. You should definitely take a couple different pairs of shoes though so you can switch off between days. My tennis shoes were both relatively new pairs, maybe a few weeks old, and held up well until the day when I was out until 3 am. Then my feet weren't happy in much of anything for a few days. That was a lot of walking and standing! :shock:
A tip ~ the first aid centers have good band-aids if you get blisters :lol: You only have to sign your name and they will give you about 4 or 5 so you are good for a few days :D

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 10:39 am

better than band-aids... it is called moleskin, available with the shoe deoderizers and insoles... sticky-backed HD felt that you can cut into whatever shape you need... for short term fix, apply directly to blister(stick to skin) or for a longer fix, affix it to the offending area of the shoe... will hold for days that way.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 28, 2011 2:19 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:better than band-aids... it is called moleskin, available with the shoe deoderizers and insoles... sticky-backed HD felt that you can cut into whatever shape you need... for short term fix, apply directly to blister(stick to skin) or for a longer fix, affix it to the offending area of the shoe... will hold for days that way.
F1gment always swore by moleskin too. I never had much luck with it. I think I might have been sensitive to the adhesive perhaps?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure what i'm going to bring at this point. Since last time I was there it was the freeze - I feel so clueless on what to pack. lol I want to bring flip flops and comfy shoes and so much more! I probably need to start packing now even though I don't leave for another 11 days!

Is it too soon to get my luggage out?? lol

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 3:47 pm

I wear New Balance running shoes usually. They have a really nice cushion in the heal, good for standing or walking long distance. They are also very light and breathe well. As an added bonus they are hand stitched in the town I live in, buy American!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I honestly have no idea about those shoes but my experience says to always break in your shoes/sneakers before going away. I usually will wear Under Armour sneakers along with a pair of crocs for the pool and flip flops for travel days. In all honesty it really comes down to what you're comfortable in. If the shoes are good for walking at home they should be good for walking in Disney.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Thu 29, 2011 5:01 am

I have two pairs of shoes that I need to break in before the end of next month so that won't be much of a problem. I'll be taking those pairs with me on the trip so I'm working on getting used to them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Just saw something about Tom's shoes on facebook. The 8th grade girl down the street from us got them for Christmas and is super excited about them. No wonder I had never heard of them before ~ I'm outside of the demographic! :lol:

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Fri 30, 2011 10:12 am

I might actually ditch the idea of bringing my Tom's to DW. Has anyone heard of Rainbow sandals? My husband swears by them as the most comfortable shoe ever. Since it is looking to be in the 70's while we are there (in 9 DAYS! ahhhh) I might try for a nice comfy pair of flip flops so I can let my feet enjoy fresh air since they can't at home. haha Maybe another pair of nice tennis shoes as well and I can change it up every other day.

Ahhh I can't wait!

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Dec Fri 30, 2011 10:19 am

just remember to suntan lotion the tops of your feet... i once did epcot in TEVA's and couldnt put on ANY shoe the following day, because of the 1st degree burns

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Sat 31, 2011 12:53 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:just remember to suntan lotion the tops of your feet... i once did epcot in TEVA's and couldnt put on ANY shoe the following day, because of the 1st degree burns
Flip flop burns are pretty bad. You don't really realize the tops of your feet burning until it is too late.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Mon 02, 2012 8:53 am

I found this entire thread VERY interesting. I never gave my footwear much thought - but I have always been wise enough to at least not plan on walking around in heels! :hatter_bounce: Most memorable is walking in flip-flops all day (it was June 2008) and having my older daughter stepping on one or the other flip-flop every single day and threatening to knock me over. "Thanks for the trip to Disney World, Mom, let's kill you so we don't have to go home." :D We still talk about her knack for stepping on my shoes and my need for more personal space. :) BTW this is the same daughter who has the tendency to strike up conversations with handsome international waiters. Coincidence? You be the judge.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 02, 2012 2:21 pm

cy1229 wrote:I found this entire thread VERY interesting. I never gave my footwear much thought - but I have always been wise enough to at least not plan on walking around in heels! :hatter_bounce: Most memorable is walking in flip-flops all day (it was June 2008) and having my older daughter stepping on one or the other flip-flop every single day and threatening to knock me over. "Thanks for the trip to Disney World, Mom, let's kill you so we don't have to go home." :D We still talk about her knack for stepping on my shoes and my need for more personal space. :) BTW this is the same daughter who has the tendency to strike up conversations with handsome international waiters. Coincidence? You be the judge.
:lol: I would have made that daughter walk by daddy the rest of the trip :roll: :lol: International visitors (and I'm assuming CMs as well) do seem to have less of a need for a personal space radius so maybe that is why your daughter likes them so well :D