DW Walking Shoes!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mjmcsl4me
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: DW Walking Shoes!

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jun Fri 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Oh my you have to try the Teva Mush flip flops. They have to be the Mush kind. I researched this before our trip a couple of years ago and found these were suggested. I tried them for the rest of the trip after the first day part of the trip I wore tennis shoes and my feet felt like they were going to explode. I wore the flip flops for the rest of the trip and I was pregnant at the time (so they really withstood some extra pressure :D ) They worked out great! In fact, I made sure to get another pair for this last trip we did, and yet again they worked great and are sooooooo comfortable!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jun Fri 29, 2012 4:22 pm

junebug1233 wrote:Does anyone have any tips other than shoes for foot pain while walking at WDW? I am relatively young but due to sitting at a desk all day at work, I just don't do a lot of physical activity. Last time I was at WDW, I had incredibly bad foot pain from walking so much. I tried several pairs of shoes and gel inserts but nothing seemed to help. I was wondering if I could do some foot exercises or if walking/running a couple months prior to the trip might be enough to prevent some of the pain.
Do you have really high arches? My arch goes almost to my ankle bone, and the tendons on the bottom of my feet tend to get really tight. If you put a tennis ball on the floor and then just roll it under your bare (or stockinged) foot, it tends to stretch that part of your foot out. I wonder if it would "exercise" your feet a little bit to be able to handle the distance better. Or, on your breaks, maybe walking a lot will help.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 29, 2012 5:05 pm

junebug1233 wrote:Does anyone have any tips other than shoes for foot pain while walking at WDW? I am relatively young but due to sitting at a desk all day at work, I just don't do a lot of physical activity. Last time I was at WDW, I had incredibly bad foot pain from walking so much. I tried several pairs of shoes and gel inserts but nothing seemed to help. I was wondering if I could do some foot exercises or if walking/running a couple months prior to the trip might be enough to prevent some of the pain.
It will definitely help your feet, and you, if you can get some walking in before you go. I had more foot discomfort this time around as I hadn't been as active prior to going, and I was/am carrying some extra pounds :( taking some breaks during your park days will help too, but I found I just had to grin and bear it after the one day I was in the parks for almost 19 hours :shock: that was a rough day - but worth every minute!!
I'm definitely going to check out those Teva mush sandals you mentioned though mjmcsl4me!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 8:13 am

I swear by Toms, but beware if it rains. :shock: They'll be all but ruined.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Soarin08 wrote:I swear by Toms, but beware if it rains. :shock: They'll be all but ruined.
Those don't have any arch support though do they??
Found a Teva mush flip flop on a website. On sale for $8, regularly $24. Good deal if you are a size 5 :roll: Are the Teva mush only a flip flop? Not overly fond of that type of shoe...

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jul Sun 01, 2012 8:03 am

Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:I swear by Toms, but beware if it rains. :shock: They'll be all but ruined.
Those don't have any arch support though do they??
Found a Teva mush flip flop on a website. On sale for $8, regularly $24. Good deal if you are a size 5 :roll: Are the Teva mush only a flip flop? Not overly fond of that type of shoe...
The majority I see are flip-flops but I did see some that weren't. That $8 would have been a good deal! I found my most recent pair on eBay because I was having a hard time finding the right kind and size. (Plus the buy-it-now price was cheaper than at an outlet store in our area) My mom has some from the Sanuk brand but when I have tried them and others compared to my Teva Mush, the latter wins every time!

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jul Mon 02, 2012 7:49 am

My 15 year old DD has Toms. They are absolutely flat, with no arch support whatsoever. IF you have flat feet or foot problems of any kind, I would NOT advise Toms unless you are going to fit them with some kind of insert that provides both arch support and heel cushioning.

Our trip in April/May was fraught with foot and ankle problems. I had purchased what I considered to be a rather expensive pair of sandals for the trip. They had outstanding cushioning and I thought they would be perfect. Unfortunately they also had a sewn seam in the insole. I wore them for about 2 hours and found the seam was creating a large blister on the bottom of my foot. I spent the rest of the day messing with moleskin, bandaids, and a paint on product called NewSkin. :evil:

After we left the park on our first day, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a pair of Dr. Schols sandals. They had good heel support but were still too flat. I ended up putting arch supports in them. This worked but I had to mess with the supports trying to come out of the sandals all the time. :cry:
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jul Mon 02, 2012 8:31 am

DisneyYorkie wrote:My 15 year old DD has Toms. They are absolutely flat, with no arch support whatsoever. IF you have flat feet or foot problems of any kind, I would NOT advise Toms unless you are going to fit them with some kind of insert that provides both arch support and heel cushioning.

Our trip in April/May was fraught with foot and ankle problems. I had purchased what I considered to be a rather expensive pair of sandals for the trip. They had outstanding cushioning and I thought they would be perfect. Unfortunately they also had a sewn seam in the insole. I wore them for about 2 hours and found the seam was creating a large blister on the bottom of my foot. I spent the rest of the day messing with moleskin, bandaids, and a paint on product called NewSkin. :evil:

After we left the park on our first day, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a pair of Dr. Schols sandals. They had good heel support but were still too flat. I ended up putting arch supports in them. This worked but I had to mess with the supports trying to come out of the sandals all the time. :cry:
Awe man what a bummer. So sorry to hear about that. That's awful to have something like that bothering you on your trip.

junebug1233
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by junebug1233 » Jul Tue 03, 2012 1:17 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Do you have really high arches? My arch goes almost to my ankle bone, and the tendons on the bottom of my feet tend to get really tight. If you put a tennis ball on the floor and then just roll it under your bare (or stockinged) foot, it tends to stretch that part of your foot out. I wonder if it would "exercise" your feet a little bit to be able to handle the distance better. Or, on your breaks, maybe walking a lot will help.

You know, I actually do have high arches. I will try that!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jul Tue 03, 2012 3:21 pm

DisneyYorkie wrote:My 15 year old DD has Toms. They are absolutely flat, with no arch support whatsoever. IF you have flat feet or foot problems of any kind, I would NOT advise Toms unless you are going to fit them with some kind of insert that provides both arch support and heel cushioning.
The main reason I wear them is for ankle support. They come up high enough to cushion my ankles better than a sandal or a flip flop.