The Great AnnaFab WDW Family Trip of 2011

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

The Great AnnaFab WDW Family Trip of 2011

Post by annafab » Dec Thu 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Let me just start off with the best news: this trip was so great that my mom wants to make it an annual thing. (WIN.)

My parents, sister and brother-in-law, other sister and her boyfriend and I were at Disney World last week from Nov 30-Dec 5. Yes, I was the seventh wheel. A friend of mine was supposed to come but had to cancel last minute due to family stuff. The worst part about going with 7 people is that someone almost always has to sit alone on rides. Anyway, this was also my first trip with such a large group. It went surprisingly well. There wasn't a lot of arguing over where to go and everybody was chill.

I'm now a converted park-hopper. I was adamant about not getting PH prior to this trip but now I don't think I'll ever go without it. We were at parks for 4 full days and did almost everything we wanted to go. (The most notable thing we missed was "Wishes" because of the poor timing of MVMCP and the taping of the parade.) On the last day, my sister, BIL and I did all 4 parks in one day just to say we did. It was epic.
Crowds were pretty low almost the entire time. We didn't wait in lines at all the first day (Thursday) at MK. The worst line times were during EMH at Epcot on Friday night and with Toy Story Mania on both days (Sat and Sun) that we were at DHS. (What's up with that? I mean, I love TSM but it seems odd that it STILL has 70+ min wait times basically 80% of the time.) The weather was spectacular most of the time - although it was really cold the first day.

I rode the new Star Tours for the first time and it is now my new FAVORITE ride. I went 4 times, got two different openings, two different rebel transmissions, and went to 6 different locations. It. Was. AWESOME. I would ride it all day if I could.

We went to the Candlelight Processional with Michael W. Smith on Thursday night and it was fantastic! We also spent a lot of time one night wandering around the Spectacle of Dancing Lights at DHS looking for Mickeys and playing in the "snow". MK didn't have a Christmas tree up on Main St and we were guessing it was because of the parade taping (since where the tree would probably be was where a bunch of the cameras were set up). We crashed the beginning of MVMCP one night though and it was cool to see the snow falling on Main St.

On the Saturday of the parade taping we didn't go to MK at all (much to my objection, actually) and we hung out with some (off duty) CM friends at DHS. One of them heard that our dearest Justin Bieber (who had performed in the parade) was in DHS incognito. So, we spent the rest of the evening playing "Spot the Bieber". Alas, we did not find him. Actually, we seemed to be one step behind him at all times because we'd get to rides and the CMs would tell us that he'd JUST been there. Shucks.

We stayed at Saratoga Springs and it was PERFECT. I room requested and got a room close to the 3rd of 5 bus stops and we never had to wait very long or get passed by because of full buses. We loved the sprawling, quiet grounds and ponds and how close it is to Downtown Disney. I decorated the room for my sister's birthday and we had a lot of fun with it. We also saved a lot of money by stocking up the kitchen and bringing food into the parks. We had one meal out and that was lunch at the 50s Prime Time Cafe. That was FANTASTIC. The fried chicken was great but my favorite was the mashed potatoes! SO. GOOD.

One downer is that we had several issues with CMs being out of character and one incident with a CM being very rude to us. As a whole, the CMs seemed a lot more casual than I've noticed in the past. There were a lot of them just walking around the parks talking (loudly) about their schedules and work. We did have a couple really good experiences with CMs on the last day, which was some redemption after having so many issues up until then.

But besides that, the trip was amazing and I miss it already. Even though I hadn't been there in 3 years, it felt so normal to be in the parks and I felt like I was home. *sigh* So, those are my stories. I feel like I'm forgetting something I wanted to tell you all but I can't remember what it is....

(PS I got a Star Wars mystery pin box hoping for the Minnie Leia/Donald Han combo and just got Donald Han. If anyone would like to trade a Minnie Leia for a Stitch Grievous let me know. :) (I hope it's ok to ask that...I don't know the rules about pin trading...))
:nemo:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: The Great AnnaFab WDW Family Trip of 2011

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Sounds like a good trip. I love your photos with all the parks' weinies! I wish I had thought of that :D What exactly are you doing in the castle photo?? Catching snowflakes? ;)
We noticed a lot of work schedule chatter from the CM's as well. A lot of time it seemed to be the younger CM's. It does destroy a bit of the magic illusion to hear people complaining about their "job" at Disney...
I'm wondering if Bieber was ushered into attractions the back way the whole time. He would be a huge distraction in the regular line!
I have a picture of Michael W. Smith at the Candlelight Processional, but it was from Wednesday night.
Did your whole family stay together the whole time? I would think 7 people would be a pretty big group to keep together, but at least you have someone to talk to while you are in line :D
Got any more photos to share?! Don't be afraid to make them bigger so we can see them better!

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Dec Thu 08, 2011 10:04 pm

I'll pick some of the best photos and share them. :) My pose in the castle pic is one of triumph with 4 fingers in the air for it being the 4th park of the day. lol

I don't know about Biebs, but I bet he at least had an ultimate Fastpass or something so he wouldn't have to wait in line. Honestly, if he was just wearing a baseball cap and a jacket, he'd probably be pretty hard to recognize unless you're looking for him. We'd heard he was going to be at Fantasmic! at the 8p show (which we went to) so we kept looking up into the soundbooth to see if he was up there during the show. lol

Our family stayed together almost the whole time, although we were open to splitting up. The last day we all did our own thing for half the day then met up in Epcot. There were a couple times when a few of us wanted to do one thing while a few of us wanted to do another thing in the same area (or nearby) so we'd split up, but it was never for very long. My dad and I split off from the rest a lot because we like stuff like The Great Movie Ride and the Hall of Presidents that the rest didn't want to do.

I forgot to mention too how much I hate the stage in front of the Sorceror's Hat at DHS. :p That area felt so crowded with just the hat, now it feels like there's no space at all. And it's pretty hideous. I'm one that wishes the hat wasn't in front of the Chinese theater to begin with so this just adds to the chaos.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 08, 2011 10:09 pm

annafab wrote:I'll pick some of the best photos and share them. :) My pose in the castle pic is one of triumph with 4 fingers in the air for it being the 4th park of the day. lol

I don't know about Biebs, but I bet he at least had an ultimate Fastpass or something so he wouldn't have to wait in line. Honestly, if he was just wearing a baseball cap and a jacket, he'd probably be pretty hard to recognize unless you're looking for him. We'd heard he was going to be at Fantasmic! at the 8p show (which we went to) so we kept looking up into the soundbooth to see if he was up there during the show. lol

Our family stayed together almost the whole time, although we were open to splitting up. The last day we all did our own thing for half the day then met up in Epcot. There were a couple times when a few of us wanted to do one thing while a few of us wanted to do another thing in the same area (or nearby) so we'd split up, but it was never for very long. My dad and I split off from the rest a lot because we like stuff like The Great Movie Ride and the Hall of Presidents that the rest didn't want to do.

I forgot to mention too how much I hate the stage in front of the Sorceror's Hat at DHS. :p That area felt so crowded with just the hat, now it feels like there's no space at all. And it's pretty hideous. I'm one that wishes the hat wasn't in front of the Chinese theater to begin with so this just adds to the chaos.
Aha ~ now I can see the different amounts of fingers. The last one is really cute ~ shows your determination and glee!
Yeah, I would guess celebs would be up in the soundbooth. I would love to see the show from there just once!
I developed a new appreciation for the longer shows this time around. I've always enjoyed them, but this time I enjoyed them as a place to sit just as much as watch the show :lol:
It was a bit tricky to navigate around the stage, especially when the band was playing, or the 90000 hula-hoopers were out :roll: I too think the hat should be moved. I don't mind the hat, but you just can't see the beautiful theater behind it. I didn't even get a photo of the theater this year :(

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Dec Thu 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Pictures! Let me know if this takes up too much space.

My sister Gina turned 18 on the first day of the trip. I themed the decor of our room around Peter Pan because that's her favorite.
Christmas lights on the patio!
I combined birthday decorations with Christmas decorations to set the festive mood.
One of my favorite pics of the princes and princesses during the stage show at MK.
On the 3rd (of 5) time riding Everest, I took my camera out to take a picture of the broken track. Whatever shall we do??? lol
JIminy Cricket is one of my new favorite characters ever since one of the most recent episodes of "Once Upon a Time" on ABC. (NEW FAVORITE SHOW) I was so excited to find him at the Conservation Station at AK!
The lights at DHS were SO.COOL.
I was searching for Hidden Mickeys the whole trip but THIS was my most exciting! I was just staring off into the middle distance when I realized there was a Mickey reflected in the window!
Found this in the curios shop near the entrance of DHS. It was right in the front, the first thing you see when you look in. I was amused at the subtle promotion of the merger. If you look closely, you can see it's signed by James Cameron.
Castle at sunset!
Christmas castle and Main Street. What a sight, indeed. :)

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Dec Fri 09, 2011 12:10 am

I love the sunset pic of the castle! I was there last weekend so I wonder if we crossed paths one time and didn't know it. I knew I should have worn my Sub shirt! Nice job on the trip report!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Fri 09, 2011 1:30 am

Really enjoyed your little report. I personally am very surprised with the CM experience you had as they really do have a major impact on how your day/stay goes. Over 13 days we only had about 2 bad instances with CMs. Kind of scary that you had many more over a lot shorter of a time frame.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 09, 2011 7:43 am

Jiminey Cricket is very cool ~ that's awesome that you found him.
I love your sunset castle picture. I thought it was sunrise before I read the caption. Great job capturing the light!!
That is so sweet that you took the time to decorate the room for your sister. I can't imagine trying to pack decorations in my luggage along with everything else :shock: Was she surprised?
More pictures? More? More? More?? :lol:

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Dec Fri 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Amy wrote: That is so sweet that you took the time to decorate the room for your sister. I can't imagine trying to pack decorations in my luggage along with everything else :shock: Was she surprised?
I drove down so packing wasn't an issue. And she was surprised. :) It was great. I took a TON of pictures and it takes forever for my old computer to upload so if you REALLY want to see more, you can friend me on Facebook :) (facebook.com/annafab) I'm open to that. They're all there.

ANOTHER thing I forgot to mention is that I went looking for the Beauty and the Beast stained glass windows in France that I'd accidentally found between two shops 3 years ago and couldn't find them. I asked a CM about them and she thought they were gone, because a lot of people had been asking her about it but she's never seen them. (She hadn't been working there very long.) Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I have a picture somewhere...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 10, 2011 7:01 am

annafab wrote:
Amy wrote: That is so sweet that you took the time to decorate the room for your sister. I can't imagine trying to pack decorations in my luggage along with everything else :shock: Was she surprised?
I drove down so packing wasn't an issue. And she was surprised. :) It was great. I took a TON of pictures and it takes forever for my old computer to upload so if you REALLY want to see more, you can friend me on Facebook :) (facebook.com/annafab) I'm open to that. They're all there.

ANOTHER thing I forgot to mention is that I went looking for the Beauty and the Beast stained glass windows in France that I'd accidentally found between two shops 3 years ago and couldn't find them. I asked a CM about them and she thought they were gone, because a lot of people had been asking her about it but she's never seen them. (She hadn't been working there very long.) Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I have a picture somewhere...
Yay ~ more Subsonic friends on facebook :D