Planning already?! More plans added!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Planning already?!

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 8:54 am

Cub wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:Pop is awesome! Stayed there teh last tiem I stayed on property. If you can swing it get a prefered room. The distance to the fod court/shop/and bus really can help out. If you get stuck with a room all the way in the back you may have a 10 minute walk just to get breakfast! I said it before, and I will say it again...JEALOUS!!!!

Does it cost extra for a preferred room? We've stayed at Pop once before and I HATED the long walk from the bus stop. :shock:
Looking at the ressie site it appears a preferred room costs an additional $15/night no matter whether it is value or peak season. I would guess it is worth that much to be closer to the bus stop and food court ~ but I suppose it comes down to how much you will be coming back and forth to your room...

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:13 am

Cub wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:Pop is awesome! Stayed there teh last tiem I stayed on property. If you can swing it get a prefered room. The distance to the fod court/shop/and bus really can help out. If you get stuck with a room all the way in the back you may have a 10 minute walk just to get breakfast! I said it before, and I will say it again...JEALOUS!!!!

Does it cost extra for a preferred room? We've stayed at Pop once before and I HATED the long walk from the bus stop. :shock:
Unfortunately, yes. It's a trade-off between long walks vs. the budget. I stayed at Pop with my girls in 2008 in a preferred room and we were right near the hippy-dippy pool. It was ok except people would walk by outside the room at 11 or midnight when we were trying to sleep, and then at 8 am or 9 the grounds people decided to power-wash stuff so my little one woke up from that all the time. The girls were 13 and 9 at the time so bedtimes were still pretty important. In terms of the rooms themselves, they were very nice, and the food court had everything we could want for breakfast (we ate lunch and dinner in the parks, as we were on the DELUXE dining plan).

Just a word about the DELUXE dining plan - in spite of all the walking we did every day, I managed to gain about 7 lbs. in a week. Three squares and 2 snacks a day = STUFFED. :shock: :? :lol: I'd probably just stick with the regular or quick-service plans, and spring for a breakfast on my own if I was that hungry.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Cub
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Cub » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:14 am

Amy wrote:
Cub wrote:

Looking at the ressie site it appears a preferred room costs an additional $15/night no matter whether it is value or peak season. I would guess it is worth that much to be closer to the bus stop and food court ~ but I suppose it comes down to how much you will be coming back and forth to your room...
That's not bad. We will be staying for 5 nights, so that's an extra $75 added to our cost. I will run the idea by my friend.
The distance doesn't really bother me until I'm on my way back from a long day at the park and I remember I still have to walk two miles to get to my bed. :lol:
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney♥

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:18 am

cy1229 wrote: Just a word about the DELUXE dining plan - in spite of all the walking we did every day, I managed to gain about 7 lbs. in a week. Three squares and 2 snacks a day = STUFFED. :shock: :? :lol: I'd probably just stick with the regular or quick-service plans, and spring for a breakfast on my own if I was that hungry.

:lol:
We picked this plan just because we do like to snack during the day and often only eat one meal. We do plan on taking snacks of our own like granola bars and such to have during the day to save a little money.
We have the Quick Service plan, by the way. We didn't get the deluxe one. :lol:
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 10:41 am

Cub wrote:That's not bad. We will be staying for 5 nights, so that's an extra $75 added to our cost. I will run the idea by my friend.
The distance doesn't really bother me until I'm on my way back from a long day at the park and I remember I still have to walk two miles to get to my bed. :lol:
Plus it's divided by the two of you, so it is less than $40 for each of you. And the far away rooms can be reallllllly far away :shock:
Cub wrote:
cy1229 wrote: Just a word about the DELUXE dining plan - in spite of all the walking we did every day, I managed to gain about 7 lbs. in a week. Three squares and 2 snacks a day = STUFFED. :shock: :? :lol: I'd probably just stick with the regular or quick-service plans, and spring for a breakfast on my own if I was that hungry.
We picked this plan just because we do like to snack during the day and often only eat one meal. We do plan on taking snacks of our own like granola bars and such to have during the day to save a little money.
We found ourselves splitting the quick service meal even. There is just so much food. I can't imagine being on the table service plan :shock: I guess you have to learn not to be a member of the clean plate club if you are going to have the deluxe plan ;) :lol:

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Thu 05, 2012 10:57 am

Amy wrote:
Cub wrote:That's not bad. We will be staying for 5 nights, so that's an extra $75 added to our cost. I will run the idea by my friend.
Plus it's divided by the two of you, so it is less than $40 for each of you. And the far away rooms can be reallllllly far away :shock:
Cub wrote:
We found ourselves splitting the quick service meal even. There is just so much food. I can't imagine being on the table service plan :shock: I guess you have to learn not to be a member of the clean plate club if you are going to have the deluxe plan ;) :lol:
Ha! I guess we will find out how much we can eat once we get there! As I said, this is our first time trying out the dining plan, so we will see how it goes. :mrgreen:
-Walt Disney♥

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 11:52 am

Amy wrote: I can't imagine being on the table service plan :shock: I guess you have to learn not to be a member of the clean plate club if you are going to have the deluxe plan ;) :lol:
Or gain a pound a day. Gee I wonder who would do that? :roll: :? :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 12:02 pm

omg, eat buffet brekky, sit-down lunch, and want to cut your throat before eating supper... could harldy look at food at dinnertime, had to get burgers when we were leaving to finish off our credits, and put them in the cooler

you only have yourself to blame if you are hungry with a deluxe dining plan, and the food is mostly awesome

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 1:59 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote: I can't imagine being on the table service plan :shock: I guess you have to learn not to be a member of the clean plate club if you are going to have the deluxe plan ;) :lol:
But they're Disney pounds! :shock: That's good right?! ;) :lol:

dstrawn9889 wrote:omg, eat buffet brekky, sit-down lunch, and want to cut your throat before eating supper... could harldy look at food at dinnertime, had to get burgers when we were leaving to finish off our credits, and put them in the cooler
you only have yourself to blame if you are hungry with a deluxe dining plan, and the food is mostly awesome
Did you have three meals a day?!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
But they're Disney pounds! :shock: That's good right?! ;) :lol:
Sure, until you get back home. :lol:

Amy wrote:
dstrawn9889 wrote:omg, eat buffet brekky, sit-down lunch, and want to cut your throat before eating supper... could harldy look at food at dinnertime, had to get burgers when we were leaving to finish off our credits, and put them in the cooler
Did you have three meals a day?!
We always eat 3 meals a day, owing partially to my hubby being diabetic. The last trip, and this one coming up, we'll be staying on my parents' DVC points, and we usually get food from the grocery store and have b'fast at the villa before venturing out. Healthier, and a little easier in the long run. We don't eat as a big group, it's pretty much grab what we want as we get ready / wake up. If the family and I ever travel to Disney on our own, we'll probably still stay in at least a studio that has a microwave and fridge so we can do light breakfast before leaving.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 3:56 pm

cy1229 wrote:We always eat 3 meals a day, owing partially to my hubby being diabetic. The last trip, and this one coming up, we'll be staying on my parents' DVC points, and we usually get food from the grocery store and have b'fast at the villa before venturing out. Healthier, and a little easier in the long run. We don't eat as a big group, it's pretty much grab what we want as we get ready / wake up. If the family and I ever travel to Disney on our own, we'll probably still stay in at least a studio that has a microwave and fridge so we can do light breakfast before leaving.
Same with F1gment. We always had snacks of some sort, cheese crackers, fruit and grain bars, in her purse since we weren't always handy near a snack place when she needed one. Another helpful tip for you ~ most of the eateries will give you 4 or 5 slices of cheese if you tell them you need it for your diabetic family member. Tony's in MK and the Sunset Ranch in DHS are two of our standy-bys if we need it. They are super nice. Just make sure you inquire at a place that has hamburgers ~ they almost always have cheese slices :D

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 4:46 pm

to answer that, YES we had the deluxe DDP, three sit-downs a day... Ugh... had to roll out like violet beauregard in Wonka... it was soo good everywhere we ate, and i did not once worry about pricing vs/ what i/my chilluns wanted... stress free. got in good with one of the POR concierges, and got a couple o' dozen HM-CM pins to boot(he would refresh his lanyard while we were looking for ressies) those guys, as a whole, know more about the parks than many CM's in the parks!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 06, 2012 11:05 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:to answer that, YES we had the deluxe DDP, three sit-downs a day... Ugh... had to roll out like violet beauregard in Wonka... it was soo good everywhere we ate, and i did not once worry about pricing vs/ what i/my chilluns wanted... stress free. got in good with one of the POR concierges, and got a couple o' dozen HM-CM pins to boot(he would refresh his lanyard while we were looking for ressies) those guys, as a whole, know more about the parks than many CM's in the parks!
I can't imagine ever doing the dining plan again, unless I hit the lottery or patent something that makes me a multi-gazillionaire. Even THEN. SO. MUCH. FOOD. I'm actually tempted to try the Quick-service plan, and just spring for a couple of sit-down meals out-of-pocket if we want to.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Fri 06, 2012 1:41 pm

cy1229 wrote:
dstrawn9889 wrote:to answer that, YES we had the deluxe DDP, three sit-downs a day... Ugh... had to roll out like violet beauregard in Wonka... it was soo good everywhere we ate, and i did not once worry about pricing vs/ what i/my chilluns wanted... stress free. got in good with one of the POR concierges, and got a couple o' dozen HM-CM pins to boot(he would refresh his lanyard while we were looking for ressies) those guys, as a whole, know more about the parks than many CM's in the parks!
I can't imagine ever doing the dining plan again, unless I hit the lottery or patent something that makes me a multi-gazillionaire. Even THEN. SO. MUCH. FOOD. I'm actually tempted to try the Quick-service plan, and just spring for a couple of sit-down meals out-of-pocket if we want to.
That's what we're doing. I think we're only planning on one sit-down meal. :)
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Cub wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
That's what we're doing. I think we're only planning on one sit-down meal. :)
We only got the dining plan because it was included "free" with our vacation package. And we also had one sit-down meal that we paid for...