Planning already?! More plans added!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cub
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Planning already?! More plans added!

Post by Cub » Nov Sun 13, 2011 8:59 am

SO! Lots has changed since I first created this thread. :mrgreen:
It will only be my best friend and I going. Our other friend isn't goig to be able to make it!

The dates are set for July 22 - 27. The 23rd is her birthday and I have lots of surprises planned for her! Although, since she has an account here (which I'm not completely sure that she uses :lol: ) I don't want to spoil any of my plans just in case she happens to peek around here before we go.

Anyway, we are staying at Pop Century and I've made dinner reservations on the night of her birthday at a very special place that I know she will love!
I've also planned out a few gifts already. I LOVE birthday shopping! This will also be our first time trying out the dining plan. We went with the Quick Service Plus plan since we are only going to be eating at one restaurant as far as we know. :lol:

Have any of you guys ever celebrated your birthday at WDW? Or celebrated a loved one's birthday? Any other surprise ideas for me?
Last edited by Cub on Feb Thu 02, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Planning already?!

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 13, 2011 9:11 am

Cub wrote:So me and my two close friends have decided to plan us a trip to WDW next July!
This will be my first time flying solo and going without my mom! (both of my friends live in different states/going to college)

We are super excited. Planning on staying at Disney's All-Star Music resort (since it's cheap and we won't be staying in the room much).
We have also discussed the dining plan. Can I get some input on this? Please share your experiences with the dining plan with me!
I'm planning on going through our travel agent to book this. That way I can ask questions and not mess up anything online. :lol:
That sounds like a lot of fun! We're going to have the quick service dining plan for the second time on this upcoming trip. Both times it was included as part of a package. I don't think I would purchase the dining plan as I don't eat very conventionally on vacation. Too busy seeing and doing to stop for meals :lol: I would recommend seeing if you can go during a time when the plan is free. I believe you can always upgrade to a table service plan from the free plan. That way you could check out some restaurants without paying much more.
You might want to check out this thread as well...viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7082&hilit=dining+plan

Cub

Post by Cub » Nov Sun 13, 2011 9:21 am

Amy wrote:
Cub wrote:So me and my two close friends have decided to plan us a trip to WDW next July!
This will be my first time flying solo and going without my mom! (both of my friends live in different states/going to college)

We are super excited. Planning on staying at Disney's All-Star Music resort (since it's cheap and we won't be staying in the room much).
We have also discussed the dining plan. Can I get some input on this? Please share your experiences with the dining plan with me!
I'm planning on going through our travel agent to book this. That way I can ask questions and not mess up anything online. :lol:
That sounds like a lot of fun! We're going to have the quick service dining plan for the second time on this upcoming trip. Both times it was included as part of a package. I don't think I would purchase the dining plan as I don't eat very conventionally on vacation. Too busy seeing and doing to stop for meals :lol: I would recommend seeing if you can go during a time when the plan is free. I believe you can always upgrade to a table service plan from the free plan. That way you could check out some restaurants without paying much more.
You might want to check out this thread as well...viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7082&hilit=dining+plan
Thanks, Amy!
We were probably going to go with the quick-service plan and just pay for a nice table-service meal one night.
Where can I see what times the plan is free? We are planning for July 22 - 27 because we are all still out on summer break.
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Cub wrote:We were probably going to go with the quick-service plan and just pay for a nice table-service meal one night.
Where can I see what times the plan is free? We are planning for July 22 - 27 because we are all still out on summer break.
That's what we did last year and are planning on again. We splurged on Via Napoli. If you go there, I would highly recommend the Zeppoli for dessert! Plus we dined at O'hana with our fellow subsonicers :D
This is what I see listed as far as dates for the 2012 Magic Your Way Package plus Quick Service Dining...
†Rates valid for stays most nights from 1/2-2/15/2012, 2/26-3/8/2012, 4/15-5/31/2012, 8/5-11/16/2012, 11/24-12/20/2012
††Rates valid for stays most nights from 1/2-2/15/2012, 2/26-3/8/2012, 4/15-5/31/2012, 8/5-9/27/2012, 11/24-12/20/2012
†††Rates valid for stays most nights from 1/2-2/15/2012, 2/26-3/8/2012, 4/15-9/27/2012, 10/21-11/19/2012, 11/24-12/20/2012.
††††Rates valid at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa for stays most nights from 1/2-2/15/2012, 2/26-3/8/2012, 4/15-9/27/2012, 10/21-11/19/2012, 11/24-12/20/2012
Here is where I was looking...http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/vacati ... ve-dining/
Never hurts to ask the travel agent. They should have all the up to date information! Don't forget you will want to book your fancy dinner reservations ahead of time. My Mom is hoping to eat at Le Cellier this time around but we didn't make reservations as none were available. She will be happy with a cup of soup "to go" again though...

Cub

Post by Cub » Nov Sun 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks! Our dates might change, though. So maybe we can take advantage of the free dining plan whenever we go.
I ave suggested to them about eating at Ohana and I do plan on making reservations once we get our dates set! I've heard great things about that place!
-Walt Disney♥

Cub

Post by Cub » Dec Sat 03, 2011 8:13 am

Just an update... our dates are set for July 22-27. It will only be Chime and I. (She's new here.. I need to get her over to this thread.)
Anyway, I will be meeting with our travel agent next Friday to make our first payments on it! We're really excited cause this will be our first time in the World without parents and we are doing this all on our own. :D
Gosh, that makes us sound like little kids. :lol:
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 03, 2011 9:44 am

Cub wrote:Just an update... our dates are set for July 22-27. It will only be Chime and I. (She's new here.. I need to get her over to this thread.)
Anyway, I will be meeting with our travel agent next Friday to make our first payments on it! We're really excited cause this will be our first time in the World without parents and we are doing this all on our own. :D
I bet you'll have a great time ~ you can go and do exactly what you want when you want! Everybody is like a kid at Disney ;)

Cub

Post by Cub » Dec Sat 03, 2011 11:01 am

Amy wrote:
Cub wrote:Just an update... our dates are set for July 22-27. It will only be Chime and I. (She's new here.. I need to get her over to this thread.)
I bet you'll have a great time ~ you can go and do exactly what you want when you want! Everybody is like a kid at Disney ;)

Thanks Amy! We're already extremely excited! :mrgreen: :mickey:
-Walt Disney♥

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Dec Mon 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Two bits of advice. 1) see if the all star sports is the same price. Its teh first stop on the bus route there and back. 2) instead of the dining plan, you may want to purchas a gift card(DIsney or Visa/AMEX) This way if you don't use it all on food you can spend it on other stuff. I have heard a lot of people complain about the dining plans. Just set a budget on how much you would spend on it, or how much you want to spend in general. You'd be surprised how much you can save. Look at www.allears.net at food prices. Very jealous of your trip..heck I'm jealous of everyone's trips!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Tue 03, 2012 2:49 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:Two bits of advice. 1) see if the all star sports is the same price. Its teh first stop on the bus route there and back. 2) instead of the dining plan, you may want to purchas a gift card(DIsney or Visa/AMEX) This way if you don't use it all on food you can spend it on other stuff. I have heard a lot of people complain about the dining plans. Just set a budget on how much you would spend on it, or how much you want to spend in general. You'd be surprised how much you can save. Look at http://www.allears.net at food prices. Very jealous of your trip..heck I'm jealous of everyone's trips!

Thanks for the tips!
We've actually changed our mind with the All-Star Resorts and decided to go with Pop Century instead!
-Walt Disney♥

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Cub wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:Two bits of advice. 1) see if the all star sports is the same price. Its teh first stop on the bus route there and back. 2) instead of the dining plan, you may want to purchas a gift card(DIsney or Visa/AMEX) This way if you don't use it all on food you can spend it on other stuff. I have heard a lot of people complain about the dining plans. Just set a budget on how much you would spend on it, or how much you want to spend in general. You'd be surprised how much you can save. Look at http://www.allears.net at food prices. Very jealous of your trip..heck I'm jealous of everyone's trips!

Thanks for the tips!
We've actually changed our mind with the All-Star Resorts and decided to go with Pop Century instead!
FWIW, my personal feeling is that the quietness and atmosphere at a moderate resort is SO worth the extra amount in price. I know you're only there to sleep etc. but as a parent, I just like the additional seclusion (or at least the appearance of it). If your budget is really restricted, then yeah, do the value resort. If you can afford the extra $$ then go for the moderate.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Tue 03, 2012 3:01 pm

You are going to have such a blast!!! There's something about making that first "grown up" Disney trip without the parents...but yet you still feel like a kid when you're there. ;) :lol:
I have not been to the Pop Century resort, but I've heard it's pretty cool...

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Wed 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks MmeLeota! What makes it even more exciting is that I'm going with my best friend who is just as Disney obsessed as I am! Mickey better watch out! :lol:
-Walt Disney♥

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Wed 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Pop is awesome! Stayed there teh last tiem I stayed on property. If you can swing it get a prefered room. The distance to the fod court/shop/and bus really can help out. If you get stuck with a room all the way in the back you may have a 10 minute walk just to get breakfast! I said it before, and I will say it again...JEALOUS!!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Cub

Post by Cub » Jan Thu 05, 2012 8:43 am

yodiwan1 wrote:Pop is awesome! Stayed there teh last tiem I stayed on property. If you can swing it get a prefered room. The distance to the fod court/shop/and bus really can help out. If you get stuck with a room all the way in the back you may have a 10 minute walk just to get breakfast! I said it before, and I will say it again...JEALOUS!!!!

Does it cost extra for a preferred room? We've stayed at Pop once before and I HATED the long walk from the bus stop. :shock:
-Walt Disney♥