8 + 5 = 13 Days in Disney World

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: 8 + 5 = 13 Days in Disney World

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 01, 2011 6:03 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:It's also one of the rougher slides Diseny has. I personally go hard into the pool so it really gets to you after a couple of trips. The max I have ever been able to do in one day is 8 trips. Keep in mind the distance you have to walk and the amount of steps you need to climb. The slide usually has a line and if it doesn't you go harder and faster to get back up again before the line forms again. This all wears on your body as I always do the three point lay (shoulder blades and left heel).
I never knew that there was such a precise science behind sliding down a slide... :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:
Me either :shock: :lol:
Sounds like it's a bit rough for me :( I thought my second trip around on Space Mountain was going to require a chiropractic visit :shock:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Thu 01, 2011 7:23 pm

There actually is a proper slide position. They even have a sign on how to go down the slide, which is the way I go. Had a lot of time to work so here is day 3 (8/21/11):

It was another amazing morning in WDW. We once again decided to sleep in a little late and make it just in time for the breakfast cut off at Captain’s Grille. The buffet breakfast is great, but you really tend to over indulge. We headed to the pool after breakfast where I continued to work towards my goal of 50 trips down the jib. After the pool it was off to EPCOT. We made into the gates just before 3PM and decided to check out the 3PM British Revolution show. I was actually impressed with the show and thought it was a respectable replacement for the British Invasion. We did make 1 critical mistake during this show though, we chose a bench in the sun as opposed to the shade. After 25 minutes of sitting in the 90+ degree heat it was time for lots of water and air conditioning. We slowly made our way towards the Land, Mark and I stopped off for some pictures of Imaginaton pavilion and fountains with perfect lighting. Just as we took the pictures we both get pushed. It happened to be a family friend who we knew was going to be in Disney World at the same time as us. In fact this was the first overlap day and we had managed to cross paths. It truly is remarkable how you can easily run into someone in a place so spread out with thousands upon thousands of people in it.

Dinner this night was at Via Napoli. We decided to slowly make our way over by going through Future World with some quick attractions and to get an idea of the EPCOT merchandise at Mouse Gear.

As the vacation fell between my birthday as well as Mark’s birthday our parents decided to let us choose which restaurant we each wanted to celebrate them at. Mark chose Via Napoli. I honestly found the restaurant to be a bit on the pricey side, but the food was pretty good. My opinion on this restaurant was that you should at least try it once. I highly doubt that this place will be on my list of restaurants to return to in the future, but it was not bad at all. After dinner we took our time heading around the world showcase and gradually made our way back to our room in the YC where we were able to catch Illuminations from the our balcony. It was great to just sit outside for 15 minutes watching the fireworks and hearing the music softly in the distance.

EMH were once again at MK with the park being open until 2AM. We got in just prior to Wishes and decided that it was the perfect chance to do the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet at Town Square since there was minimal wait for it and it would keep us out of the crowds, which worked out perfectly. Snow White, Philharmagic, Pooh, Tea Party, and Speedway were all walk-ons. I am proud to say that I finally found a great cup on the Tea Party that spun really fast. It is the green with purple markings in the cluster nearest the control booth. Dad decided to sit out the ride on Mad Tea Party so it was just Mom, Mark, and I. I took full control of the wheel and gave us the spin of a lifetime. We were all still stumbling 20 minutes after the attraction! We called it a night sometime after midnight and headed back to the resort.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Dec Thu 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Awesome. I have to agree with you and say that the Yacht Club is my favorite resort right now. Being able to watch Illuminations from the balcony is one of its MANY benefits.

Also, when Amy and I decided to take on the late night at the MK, we thought about you as we waited for the Tea Cups. We could not remember which cup you said was the best. Now I'll have to remember for next trip. I'd love to show my boys what a spin on the Tea Cups is really like!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Dec Fri 02, 2011 10:50 am

Len90 wrote:It's also one of the rougher slides Diseny has. I personally go hard into the pool so it really gets to you after a couple of trips. The max I have ever been able to do in one day is 8 trips. Keep in mind the distance you have to walk and the amount of steps you need to climb. The slide usually has a line and if it doesn't you go harder and faster to get back up again before the line forms again. This all wears on your body as I always do the three point lay (shoulder blades and left heel).
Can you do a compare/contrast to Humunga Cowabunga? That slide literally took my breath away and I decided I would NOT be doing it again.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Tue 06, 2011 10:33 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Can you do a compare/contrast to Humunga Cowabunga? That slide literally took my breath away and I decided I would NOT be doing it again.
Totally different. The Jib has an enclosed portion that crosses over the walkway but you can see the daylight and it is just a straight shot. It is actually the area where you need to gain all your speed as you cut immediately left then right, dip down, get splashed with water, cut left and make your grand entrance.

Day 4 coming next...
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Tue 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Day 4 (8/22/11)

This day started off similar to the other two. Buffet breakfast followed by a trip to Stormalong Bay. I started falling off my water slide goal as I managed to only squeeze in 6 trips down the jib. The pool was just too crowded. After the pool it was off to the parks. Dinner was scheduled at Le Cellier so we decided to do a little DHS and then bus over to EPCOT for dinner. We got to the park and hung around Hollywood Blvd so we could watch Countdown to Fun or what are the sad remains of Block Party Bash. The parade only takes 7 minutes to pass by. I know Disney is aware of everything that has gone on and they tried adding some preshow elements, but this was one parade change I remain completely against. Either change it back to BPB or bring back Stars in Motor Cars. The only good thing about the parade going by quick was that this was another hot and humid day so staying outdoors for a longer parade would have been a bit tough.

We slowly made our way to Animation Courtyard where we could stay indoors and meet Pooh and Sorcerer Mickey. The lines were a bit long but right when we got done with Mickey a lot of surprise characters popped out and it was off to the races. Characters we got to meet included: Jafar, Mary Poppins and Penguins, Pinocchio and Gepetto, Rafiki, Queen of Hearts, Pocahontas and Meeko, and finally Stich. It was amazing how many characters we got to meet in less than an hour. When we were waiting in line for Stitch two funny things happened. The first was I noticed the name tag of the handler said she was from NJ. We started talking and it ended up being that her aunt was my third grade teacher….Once again talk about a small world! The other scary thing was we heard a very loud bang while waiting in line and CM radios were started to go pretty crazy. We just assumed that it was a lighting strike and went on. We headed out of DHS to bus over to EPCOT and luckily it was not raining, but the sky was threatening. My only complaint about the bus service between these two parks is that you have a far walk to the front gate of EPCOT.

We ended up making it just in time for our ADR at Le Cellier, which was my choice for my 21st Birthday celebration. This was our first visit since the restaurant turned signature and the only changes I noticed were it was slightly less busy and a much more limited menu. They decided to do away with my favorite items on the menu, duck three ways (appetizer) and the Kansas City strip steak. Our server ended up being the same person we had the previous year and we ended up remembering each other. IMO the food had gone down. It was still really good but just not as amazing as it had been in the previous years. I honestly feel Le Cellier is not up to Disney Signature status. It definitely was above being a regular restaurant but it just doesn’t have enough right now to be classified as the finest in Disney. If we return next time there will be a serious discussion between this or Yachtsman.

After dinner it was back to Future World where we took in some sites and a ride on SSE. I really enjoy this attraction since the redesign a couple of years ago. I recorded the recorded the audio spiel on my iPhone for future enjoyment but that has since been lost when my phone broke after returning home. We headed out just as Illuminations was starting as we were going back for the 10PM Fantasmic at DHS. We watched the fireworks from the gate and bolted to the bus. We make it over just as they started filling the theater so the long line moved pretty well. We ended up at the top of one of the sections near the right side. It was busy but not completely filled. They seemed to leave the far corners open. The show went off without any major issues but I did notice a few missing effects like a lot of the torches not lighting up on the small boats that didn’t light up. After the show let out the park seemed to get pretty busy. We headed over to TGMR, which was at 20+ minute wait… we quickly aborted that and headed over to Muppets and Star Tours, both of which were empty. We hung around and closed down the park. Mom and dad took the boat back while Mark and I walked back. The vacation was already halfway over, or so we thought.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 07, 2011 12:53 am

I've never done Le Cellier, so you're not making me feel like I've missed out there...

When do we get some pics?

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Dec Wed 07, 2011 3:15 am

Now I don't feel so bad for saying Le Cellier was not as good as people had made it out to be. I for one will not be eating there again.

Great trip report Len keep it coming when you get time.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 07, 2011 7:20 am

mindflipper wrote:I've never done Le Cellier, so you're not making me feel like I've missed out there...

When do we get some pics?
Pics roll after the report is typed out. Unfortunately finals are fast approaching. Just wait until you read day 5... You'll be begging to see the pictures. I promise there will be hundreds...
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 07, 2011 7:52 am

That is so cool that you got to see all those bonus characters at the Art of Animation! I don't think I have seen anyone in there except Sorcerer Mickey, Pooh, and the Incredibles characters.
Did you ever find out what the ding dang, piggy bank, I mean the Big bang was?!
I have my own observation of Le Cellier to share, but it will be in my trip report. I did notice that it wasn't nearly as busy the few times we were by there. Now that it is a "signature" restaurant, I wonder if they stopped overbooking by the 40% or so they had told me on our last trip...
SSE has to be one of my favorite attractions, but I really don't like the new narration. It just sounds so dumbed down :(
Your phone broke down? Surprise, surprise...sorry you lost your recording though Len...
Pictures? On day 5??? Yay!! Start studying for your finals young man...we'll be patient!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 07, 2011 9:35 am

The big bang we think was a lightning strike on either the building we were in or one right nearby. Animation is really a great place to meet lots of characters. It seems like mid-afternoon is the best time to be there. The lines for the characters are short and you usually get each one from both waves that come out. There is no set list of characters so you don't know what you will see until they come out. The phone broke after I came home and somehow I failed to transfer the audio recording over to my computer before that. It really was my own fault.
- Len90

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Wed 07, 2011 10:17 am

Len90 wrote:...Just wait until you read day 5... You'll be begging to see the pictures. I promise there will be hundreds...
You tease!!! :evil: :lol:
Great detailed report so far, can't wait for the rest... and the pics!!

(memo to self: never, under any circumstances, go on the Teacups with Len...). :shock: :wink:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 07, 2011 10:32 am

Mousekedude wrote:(memo to self: never, under any circumstances, go on the Teacups with Len...). :shock: :wink:
I think that should be a "Health Warning" printed on his T-shirt if he ever comes to Mayhem Marauders Meet-up in order to save anyone who may be foolish to get in the tea cup with him...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 07, 2011 12:30 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:(memo to self: never, under any circumstances, go on the Teacups with Len...). :shock: :wink:
I think that should be a "Health Warning" printed on his T-shirt if he ever comes to Mayhem Marauders Meet-up in order to save anyone who may be foolish to get in the tea cup with him...
I'd brave a spin with the good doctor (to be)...I think it would be fun!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Wed 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
I'd brave a spin with the good doctor (to be)...I think it would be fun!
Have no fear of evil curses, says you? Aye, properly warned ye be, says I...