That Really Big Graduation Trip: May 2011

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: That Really Big Graduation Trip: May 2011

Post by momeja » Jan Tue 24, 2012 11:19 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Wow! What an amazing trip so far!!! My hubby will be so jealous when he sees these pics...he's a Stormtrooper kind of guy. :D (We were trying to make a short trip down for the last weekend of Flower & Garden/first weekend of SWW...but his work kinda dampened those plans :? )
Thanks for the pics of US/WWHP and V&A's!!!! Not sure when/if we will ever get to experience those!
Looking forward to the rest of the trip report! It's very pleasurable to read and the pics are great! :D
Thanks for reading, Mme. L. I love your new avatar!

I really hope chernabog gets to SWW someday. It was so incredible - really, the best graduation present I could imagine. Even my DH, who isn't a huge SW fan, got into the spirit of the Jedi when he went with us the next Friday.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks! It's a commission we had drwan for us at the D23 Expo...Belle dressed as Maleficent and Beast dressed as Chernabog.

Well since it won't be this year, maybe next year...but until then, it's great to live vicariously through you! :D

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Just when you thought I'd forgotten all about this, we continue :D :

5/23 H. returns

After such a great (but long) day, you have to have a quieter next day. Our original plan called for RD at Epcot, but there was no way we were going to make that after our late evening at DHS. I woke up early (because I always wake up early) and had coffee in my room (having moved the coffee maker into our bedroom :wink: ) but the kids didn’t wake up until about 9:30. We had breakfast in our room and got over to Epcot just after RD at the World Showcase.

Btw, a hint about the story to come: I decided to call the Front Desk this morning about our room. We’d fallen in love with our room and our view (we loved watching Spaceship Earth change colour at night), so I decided that it didn’t matter how good the view was on the 5th floor, we wanted to stay. “That’s fine,” said the CM at the Front Desk. “We’ll take care of it.”

Right.

Back to our current story…

Wow, I love being able just to wander over to Epcot whenever you want to. It's one of the very, very best things about the Beach Club. Plus, the International Gateway often has rare characters just standing around there, greeting the people coming in. On our way in that morning, we saw Megora from Hercules. Woohoo! We stopped for photos, an autograph and a chat. One of the great things about finding rare characters is that they’re usually willing to spend a bit of time with you because they often don’t have a long line of people waiting to meet them. We were the only ones stopping to meet Megora, so she asked Judah whether he was going to be tall and strong. She said she only liked strong men. Adi told her that purple was my favourite colour, and she said that I had good taste.

Asking Judah if he was going to grow up tall and strong. My boy was embarrassed.

We headed down to check out the FP situation, but our main plan that day was to do a couple of Kim Possible missions. FP times for Soarin' were already into the late afternoon, but we were able to grab FPs for MS to use later (okay, this might be wrong.

Superheroes, part deux:

Clark Kent, we need you now:

For some reason, I was like Winnie the Pooh this morning, and even though we’d just had breakfast, my tummy clock went off as we passed Mexico. I needed a tasty taco to keep going, so we stopped in the Cantina de San Angel Inn and ordered a few. Very fine fast food if you’re in the mood for a taco, and I recommend it. Then we headed over to Norway for our first Kim Possible mission.

Calling Kim Possible:

The Norway mission was very fun, in fact, I think it’s my favourite mission of the ones we’ve done (we’ve done about 5 of them now - China, Japan, France, Norway, and Mexico). It involves trolls and Viking ghosts and Norwegian fashion design – it’s a total hoot. Afterward, we rode Maelstrom. Then we decided to do another mission, this one in Mexico.

Mexico’s mission is famous for the volcano effect, which is great, but I still loved Norway’s better. The nice thing about the Mexico mission, though, is that it's primarily indoors. It was getting blazingly hot by now, so the inside shade felt good.

Our FP window hadn’t opened up yet, but I knew H. was arriving back at the resort about then, so I decided to take the family to the next level and asked the kids if they wanted to stay by themselves at Epcot. I was heading back to swim. Do I need to add that they jumped at the chance? :figment: :hatter_bounce: :ccat:

When I got back to the villa, there was a note from H. saying to meet him at Stormalong Bay. I changed into my swimsuit and found him there. Usually, we share a fun drink by the pool, but I was in my Pooh space and so excited for him to try the No Way Jose that we shared an ice cream sundae instead. (that No Way Jose is one fantastic ice cream sundae!

The kids eventually joined us. Their first visit alone to Epcot had been less than fabulous. They rode Mission Space first, then Spaceship Earth. Then they played the games at Spaceship Earth, and Emilie lost her fanny pack and Adi lost her hat. They eventually found their fanny pack but not the hat. Everyone was feeling cranky by that point, so they came back (Emilie was even more cranky because she wanted to go to the Mitzukoshi Department store in Japan but she was outvoted by the other two).

Time for a little swim for everyone before our big family evening at California Grill.

Next up: California Grill review. :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 11, 2012 8:08 pm

It's always nice when you get a chance to see the more rare characters. And no lines is always good :D
So you can choose where you try a mission for Kim Possible? We never have taken the time to try that although it sounds like it might be fun.
What fun for your kids to stay and play in EPCOT while Mom and Dad ate ice cream and swam in the pool ~ it almost sounds backwards :lol: Too bad about the kids having some problems though...

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Sun 11, 2012 10:07 pm

It's great to see the kids growing up... First time alone in a park? Sorry that it involved several mishaps. Hopefully, it didn't effect your decision to leave them alone again on this trip.

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Mon 12, 2012 12:25 am

NaCler wrote:It's great to see the kids growing up... First time alone in a park? Sorry that it involved several mishaps. Hopefully, it didn't effect your decision to leave them alone again on this trip.
Nah, we saw it as a learning experience for them. After all, we won't always be there to tell them not to forget their stuff on the rides. :lol:

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 18, 2012 9:01 am

Back to our story...

California Grill

Sometimes, you have days (or evenings) that you don’t know what to write about, so you keep putting it off… and putting it off.

Cal Grill was one of those nights.

Don’t get me wrong. It was a lovely evening. Cal Grill is beautiful, and the food was wonderful. We had a weird interaction with our waiter, though, and that may have affected my memory of the evening. Lessened it a bit.

Okay, I’m talking way too much around the experience and not telling you the experience. What is the first thing you learn in writing school? Show the experience, don’t just talk around it.

So, warts and all, here goes.

We arrived at Cal Grill precisely on time. We took the bus to MK and then the monorail to the Contemporary. We were all dressed up, but I was wearing my wet and dry dress that I’d worn at Islands of Adventure. It’s cute and modern, but the hostess paused and looked it over once to make sure it fit their code. Yes, Cal Grill keeps its dress code strictly. (I now have a perfect dress for Cal Grill that I bought during the summer sales. I’m bringing it next time we go. :D Needless to say, the hostess’ review made me a little insecure, but I figured that I wasn’t going back and changing, so forward march.

We were ushered upstairs and into the lounge area, where H. and I both ordered fun drinks (I can’t remember what he had but I think I had a Tropical Mango Mojito) and the kids got Shirley Temples. They called us to our table fairly quickly, and our waiter, Ron, came over and introduced himself.

Ron. I believe that people who make a career of waiting tables eventually gravitate to the kind of restaurant that most suits their personality. Jack and Cherie were perfect waitstaff for Victoria and Albert’s (also Carol, who served us in 2007 and now works at the Orlando Ritz Carlton). Ron, though, would never fit in at Victoria & Albert’s. I’m convinced that the fussiness of V&A’s table preparation, the interest in precision of presentation, and the quiet would drive him bananas. Ron is a people person. He liked to talk, to interact, to mingle with his customers. And Ron, therefore, fits in perfectly with the vibe of California Grill. But more on Ron later.

Cal Grill is a people restaurant. It has an open set up and can be a bit noisy. On the other hand, it’s easy to meet and get to know the other people in the room. It’s a place to be seen.

That said, Cal Grill also serves fantastic food. In many ways, Cal Grill reminds me of Flying Fish, only with fewer tables per square foot. I don’t know if that’s true or not. I just know that Flying Fish always feels crowded to me, while Cal Grill feels busy but never crowded.

We’re sushi people, so we ordered a Medusa Roll instead of a flatbread to start. A Medusa Roll has soft shelled crab with asparagus, mayonnaise and a mild pepper sauce. Oh, soft shelled crab! How I love soft shelled crab – really, I should move to Maryland!

Ron immediately gave us all chopsticks and gave Adi some special chopstick helpers. They fit around both chopsticks to help keep them in place. Adi loved them and loved Ron from that moment forward.

I almost ordered the soft shelled crab sliders for an appetizer, too, but we didn’t want to stuff ourselves, so we skipped a second appetizer (although the salads looked delicious) and moved on to the main course selections. Emilie decided that she wanted to stick with the sushi and ordered the deluxe sushi platter. In a shocking move, Judah went with a kids menu item (shocking because the boy hates to order anything from a “kids menu.” In his own words, “Mom, I’m 11.”). I think it was the dessert menu that got him. He ordered the roasted salmon. Adi ordered the chicken breast. H. ordered the Pacific Halibut with linguine, and I ordered the Seared Rare Tuna with Nori Rice and stir fry vegetables, served in a hot and sour sauce. We had a lovely Pinot Gris to go with the meal. Not too expensive from a wine list that had some very expensive wines.

Was the food good? Yes, it was excellent. I wasn’t a huge fan of the presentation of my dish, which felt like a one dish meal since it was all in one bowl, but the tuna itself was so tender and creamy, I forgave the presentation. H. loved his halibut, Judah was happy with his salmon, and Emilie, of course, adored her sushi. The only person who wasn’t completely happy with her meal was Adi, who has told me that “next time, I’ll be old enough to have what Emmy had.” (better start putting more money in the bank. That girl’s tastes are going to cost me… :twisted: :roll: :lol: )

For dessert, we ordered the Valrona Chocolate Cake, which I've tried to make at home - much less successfully! There was a recipe for it in Disneyfiles magazine about a year ago. I made it for Emilie’s birthday last year – I had to make it twice, because the first time it didn’t work at all. The second time was okay, but it didn’t compare to the real thing. Adi and Judah ordered the Crispy Rice Sushi dessert from the kids’ menu, which was fantastic. I wish I had taken pictures to show you, but I didn’t, so I grabbed one off the web instead. It’s the second best kids’ dessert at Disney, jmho. (the first one being the White Chocolate Mickey Puzzle dessert at Artist Point and Flying Fish)

The sushi are fish gummies on Rice Krispies. The sushi rolls are fruit roll-ups (for the seaweed) surrounding Rice Krispies and a gummy in the centre. The wasabi is a green-coloured marshmallow and the ginger is white chocolate with pink icing on top. The sauce is chocolate, of course!

Right as we were getting to dessert, Wishes started. Our table was in the middle of the room, so we went outside to watch. The viewing area outside is great. Of course, did I remember my camera? No… :roll:

And now, back to Ron, our waiter. Ron was very attentive during the meal, so different from Jack and Cherie, who always stood back. Ron, though, was part of our experience. And that was good… and not so good.

Over the course of the evening, we found out all about Ron. Found out that he was a long time Orlando resident. Found out that he used to but no longer works full time at Cal Grill. Found out that he has a lot of side businesses going. That he’s an entrepeneur. And as the evening went on, we also started to hear about Ron’s politics.

Now then, as you can imagine, being a lawyer, I don’t usually shy away from talking politics. It’s part of my livelihood. And I think that once Ron found out that we were there celebrating my graduation from law school (that was the evening celebration, mine and Emilie’s graduations), he figured that I’d put politics on the evening’s table of discussion. First, he tried to talk to us about Casey Anthony, but being from Canada, we didn’t know all that much about that very sad story, and in addition, given that there were a couple of younger kids at our table, especially Adi, we didn’t want to discuss her trial in front of them.

But Ron was persistent, so he brought up health care. He really wanted to engage us in a debate about how awful we are up in Canada to have universal health care and how awful universal health care is. I think he thought that would be interesting and fun. But it wasn’t. We were there on vacation, and H. and I weren’t in the mood to get into a debate about health care with someone whose viewpoint was 180 degrees from our own. And, also, in the words of Sully in Monsters Inc, “I’m off duty.” I didn’t want to be a lawyer that night. I just wanted to have a nice evening with my family. And so did H, who has the same position as I do on health care and who also didn’t want to be drawn into defending it. Eventually, Ron moved on to another topic, but it affected our evening, which was still lovely but not perfect the way that Victoria & Albert’s had been.

As we were heading home, I thought a lot about the end of the evening, about Ron, and about our friends Larry and Tina. Larry and Tina love to go to restaurants and engage the waitstaff in discussions. It’s a part of their evening. When we go out with them, they know every waiter who serves us. They also engage every waiter who serves us. That’s them, and Cal Grill’s atmosphere suits them to a T. They love to have that very public outgoing experience when they dine. H. and I, though, when we go out with each other or with the family, we see it as an opportunity to talk with each other and with the family. To the waitstaff some, but not as a focus of the evening.

So where am I going with this? I think there are many different restaurant experiences at Disney, and your choice of which signature to visit is as much about your personality as it is about the quality of the food. If you’re a more quiet restaurant person, who wants the focus of your evening to be on the person or people you’re dining with, you don’t have to go to V&A’s. Artist Point also has that quiet atmosphere. So does Bistro de Paris. On the other hand, if you’re a more outgoing restaurant person, like my friends Larry and Tina, there’s California Grill and Flying Fish, where the waiters seek to engage you as part of your evening there.

Each experience has its strengths and its potential problems. I think if Ron had steered clear of politics, our evening would have been perfect at Cal Grill. The kids really enjoyed Ron’s outsized personality. On the other hand, if you don’t have anything to talk about with the people you came with, a restaurant like Artist Point could be a death sentence for your evening. At that point, you need a Ron.

Interestingly enough, my most memorable waitstaff encounter at Disney happened at Hollywood Brown Derby back in 2006. HBD is much more like Bistro or Artist Point than California Grill, more hands off. I just happened to hit a good jag of conversation that afternoon with the server. That was Carol, who later went on to Victoria & Albert’s and then to the Orlando Ritz Carlton.

I suddenly have realized why this entry took so long for me to write. It’s a very different entry – only one picture and a lot of reflection. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it. And if not, we’ll be heading back to our regularly scheduled trip report very, very soon. Thanks for hanging with me and reading this entry. I’d also love to hear your responses. Let me know what you think.

Annie

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 18, 2012 10:41 am

That is a very interesting observation on the different restaurant experiences. I missed seeing more pictures in this day's report (I'm a visual person) but I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the evening. F1gment and I don't go to many table service restaurants in WDW. We prefer a quick, less expensive, bite and going back to the action. So we haven't had enough experiences to notice what you have as far as the different atmospheres go at the various restaurants.
That is nice that your kids really enjoyed Ron. But it is very unfortunate that Ron didn't pick up on the fact that you didn't want to discuss politics or universal healthcare. I wouldn't want to discuss either of those topics with people I don't know ~ while on vacation or not! I would think a truly great server should be able to gauge their guests a little better and be a little more forward, or step back a bit as the occasion necessitates.
The Crispy Rice sushi looks like an awesome dessert! I would take all the gummy nonsense out since I would worry that it would ruin the rice krispies ;) but I suppose that would sort of defeat the general purpose of the sushi part of the dessert :roll: :lol: The multi-colored fruit roll ups on the outside of the "sushi rolls" are the best!
I'm looking forward to the next installment :D

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 18, 2012 10:58 am

Amy wrote: I wouldn't want to discuss either of those topics with people I don't know ~ while on vacation or not! I would think a truly great server should be able to gauge their guests a little better and be a little more forward, or step back a bit as the occasion necessitates.
I know what you mean and ITA, Amy. Although my job often involves discussing difficult topics with people all the time, when I'm on vacation, I just want to chill.

p.s. Sorry about the camera. I was so annoyed with myself when I realized I'd forgotten it. It was too late to go back, though. :cry:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 18, 2012 11:12 am

momeja wrote:
Amy wrote: I wouldn't want to discuss either of those topics with people I don't know ~ while on vacation or not! I would think a truly great server should be able to gauge their guests a little better and be a little more forward, or step back a bit as the occasion necessitates.
I know what you mean and ITA, Amy. Although my job often involves discussing difficult topics with people all the time, when I'm on vacation, I just want to chill.

p.s. Sorry about the camera. I was so annoyed with myself when I realized I'd forgotten it. It was too late to go back, though. :cry:
Not a worry at all. You probably were able to relax and enjoy the evening without snapping photos for a change! Although it would have been fun to see of the fireworks from the Cali Grill. I would love to eat there someday to have that experience...although if the hostess had to check out your dress, there is probably no way I would ever get in :shock: :lol:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Sun 18, 2012 11:25 am

momeja wrote:

I would be very offended if I had a server who started shoving his or her beliefs at me. I'm sorry Ron did that- with you being from Canada, he is likely one of those Americans who feels the need to shove what he thought was America's superiority in your face (which is not true in the least). It sounds like he was a nice person otherwise and great with your kids.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 19, 2012 6:39 am

Two things really stand out at me after reading about your Cal Grill experience:

First, how presumptuous of Ron to think that you would automatically want to know all about him. A good server does not focus the evening on himself, but finds a way to make his guests feel welcome and at the center of attention, without interrogating them. He has a serious need for attention. Probably a good thing he's not full time anymore.

Second, and I think I might fall into this trap as well, is the way we, as Americans, box Canadians into a certain "type" or point-of-view based on our limited knowledge. Given the vast differences among regions and economic factors across Canada, as is the case here in the U.S., it's pretty rude.

All in all, I would have been really annoyed at Ron, and would have had a hard time not being catty or grumpy toward him, if that had happened to me. I'm glad to know your perspective on the different types of "serving styles" at all the signature restaurants, and would probably choose Artist Point again for all of the reasons you list.

This graduation reward trip sounds amazing and wonderful, in spite of Ron. Is that an accurate assessment?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Mon 19, 2012 2:08 pm

cy1229 wrote:This graduation reward trip sounds amazing and wonderful, in spite of Ron. Is that an accurate assessment?
It totally was without question the very best trip we've ever had at Disney, Cy. :D Most trips, we end up feeling rushed and like there's not enough time to do everything we want to do. This was the first trip where we felt like we had time enough for everything and no need to rush. It was so great, and I hope we'll be able to do it again someday. It won't be for a while, but someday.

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Mar Wed 28, 2012 4:18 am

momeja, I just started reading your review (albeit out of order; started with the SWW day and onward). It's great! Thank you for sharing with us!

How fun that you and your children got to be in the parade! Was it really hot walking the route? We were over at the MK that day, but we were there Opening Day for the procession before the Opening Ceremony w/Lucas (talk about a madhouse...) and for a "regular" parade the following Friday. That was so sickeningly hot! I felt like weight was melting off of me.

I'm glad AD was nice to y'all; I heard some not so great stories about him from last year. We went to his one-man show that first day, and yeah... You could just feel the ego emanating from across the room. :roll:

I never knew they had characters at IG! I assume they're positioned inside the gates? I may have to wander down there sometime; I've never walked over that way before.

I feel for you on the CG experience. I enjoy politics (discussing it with like-minded folks or debating it with those opposite of me; don't enjoy the actual process), but I don't want to see, hear, or read anything about it on vacation. And I sure as heck don't want to discuss it with my waiter or waitress! :shock: Even if I agree with said person, I simply don't want to hear about it in WDW. Ditto for the Casey Anthony fiasco, and whatever news story is dominating at the time.

We have been there 2x; had a great experience the first time, and a lousy waiter the second time. Once he learned we were just ordering an appetizer each and a dessert, he basically said "See ya!" and disappeared until we got someone else to hunt him down to get dessert menus and later the check. He kept coming back to a large party near us, yucking it up with them, we would try to flag him down, and he would look at us and ignore us. It took 2+ hours to eat the Goat Cheese Ravioli app and dessert. We should've complained, but we were all so fed up, we just wanted to get out of there. Haven't been back since.

Looking forward to reading the early parts of this and everything else you post!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 28, 2012 6:17 am

SorcererDonald16 wrote:We have been there 2x; had a great experience the first time, and a lousy waiter the second time. Once he learned we were just ordering an appetizer each and a dessert, he basically said "See ya!" and disappeared until we got someone else to hunt him down to get dessert menus and later the check. He kept coming back to a large party near us, yucking it up with them, we would try to flag him down, and he would look at us and ignore us. It took 2+ hours to eat the Goat Cheese Ravioli app and dessert. We should've complained, but we were all so fed up, we just wanted to get out of there. Haven't been back since.
That's too bad the waiter treated you like that. I can understand they might be thinking about their tip and all, but you should receive the same service as someone ordering every item on the menu. I know if F1gment and I go somewhere and get something small, we'll tip a little more if we get great service because we appreciate the fact we haven't been ignored. And I know some people that order very expensive food and tip very little because they have spent a lot on the food. Any establishment should make sure the waitstaff is taking care of customers because as you pointed out, you haven't been back since the last unpleasant experience, and that costs them money.