2011 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Report

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

2011 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Report

Post by cccmouse » Oct Sun 09, 2011 4:36 pm

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend to take in the 2011 Wine and Dine half marathon. We had never been to any of the Wine and Dine events before so this was a new experience for us.
The weather was excellent. This may be the first trip in years that we did not see a single drop of rain. Temps cool in the mornings and evenings, warm during the day.
The pre race process at the WWoS complex went quickly and smoothly. I was pleased to find when I picked up my race bib that I had been placed in the first starting corral. The day of the race I headed back to the room at about 3:30pm for a nap to get rested up for the 10:00pm start. I am NOT a night person so I knew that I would be worthless unless I got some sleep before the race. I was shocked to find that when I went down to board a bus to the WWoS at about 7:30pm there were runners out front of POFQ lined all the way through the lobby, through and out the back door of the food court. Thankfully Disney had charter buses lined up one after another so the wait was not as long as it appeared it would be. I arrived at the WWoS complex around 8:20pm and the runners began moving into the starting corrals around 9:30pm.
There was one wheelchair athlete that started at 9:58pm then the first wave started right on time at 10:00pm. From what I saw the race went off without a hitch. There was not quite as much entertainment along the route as there is for the January races but there was enough to keep things from getting boring. I did enjoy running through the Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. The route took so many twists and turns through the Studios that there were times that I didn't know where we were, but suddenly we popped out near the front entrance and were on our way to EC via the boardwalk past the YC and BC. After a short run through some backstage areas of EC we crossed the finish line near the regular resort bus pick up/drop off.
We were moved along in an orderly fashion for our finishers medals, water, pictures, snacks, Powerade and more. Picking up the checked bags went quickly. The race registration included entrance into the post race party at EC from midnight until 3:00am, but with it already being after 1:00am and me not a night person, I headed back to the hotel.
The only advice I would give Disney is to tell your volunteers where the relocated resort bus pick up area is. The first 6 or more people I asked had no idea. Finally someone knew that you had to take the parking lot shuttle to get to the bus pick up.
I did better my January half time of 2:04.53 by running 1:58.45 so I am pleased to have taken 6:00+ off of my previous time.
I will update my info for the 2012 half with this new time in hopes of getting into the first starting corral again.
All in all the trip was short but good. Now I have to try to stay focused on January.
For those who will be running in January...keep up the hard work and training and "see ya real soon".

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: 2011 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Report

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Nice job cccmouse!!! Bravo on crushing your previous time! :goofy_bounce: Any pics. of the medal?! Overall, did you enjoy the course?! When the event was the "Tower of Terror 13K" the course was cool, I love running at night though! Actually, I love running at Disney, period.

C-ya in Jan!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Congratulations cccmouse ~ sounds like you did an awesome job beating your January time! Sounds like things were fairly well organized. I would have freaked out a little by the long ling at the hotel for getting to the start line :shock:
Do they always run this race at night? Too bad you weren't able to take advantage of the post-race party :( Was your wife able to see you very much during the course?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 09, 2011 7:40 pm

The Wine and Dine 1/2 is a night time race, this is the race that replaced the Tower of Terror run, which was also at night.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 09, 2011 8:47 pm

boilerbabe wrote:The Wine and Dine 1/2 is a night time race, this is the race that replaced the Tower of Terror run, which was also at night.
Nice. I would guess it is cooler to run in the evening and also you get to see the pretty lights of the park? My brother did the in-line race at WDW but that was during the day.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

The nigth we ran the ToT run it was humid! But, very neat to see everything lit up at night. The times we've run daytime races, you line up/start when it's still dark out, so it's the best of both worlds. But, you don't get to see the parks lit up for the night. Any race at Disney is fun!

Hope to run the Wine and Dine someday!

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Oct Mon 10, 2011 6:52 am

Amy wrote:Congratulations cccmouse ~ sounds like you did an awesome job beating your January time! Sounds like things were fairly well organized. I would have freaked out a little by the long ling at the hotel for getting to the start line :shock:
Do they always run this race at night? Too bad you weren't able to take advantage of the post-race party :( Was your wife able to see you very much during the course?
This is a newer event for Disney or at least under the Wine and Dine name. I believe that this race and its previous form have been night races. Running at night is fine, but there just seems to be something about the early am races that allow you to see the sun come up during the race that is really cool. Either way, Disney offers both during the year so runners can have each an am and a pm race.
I really didn't mind missing the post race party since we went to EC the next day and were able to take in some of the Wine and Dine festivities.
As far as my wife seeing much of the race the answer is that she saw none of the race. The Saturday of the race was also the 40th anniversary of the opening of the MK so she went over there which I was fine to miss. Imagine 40th anniversary, park open until midnight and it being a Saturday. Unless you love wall to wall crowds, this was not the place to be.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 10, 2011 8:50 am

Oh my goodness :shock: What did your wife think of the 40th? I can't imagine being in that crush of people but I would imagine it would have been exciting to be there :D

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Oct Thu 13, 2011 5:20 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Nice job cccmouse!!! Bravo on crushing your previous time! :goofy_bounce: Any pics. of the medal?! Overall, did you enjoy the course?! When the event was the "Tower of Terror 13K" the course was cool, I love running at night though! Actually, I love running at Disney, period.

C-ya in Jan!!!
Thanks. I did enjoy the course. Running through the parks was great but there was a lot of empty space between the parks nevertheless when you are surrounded by as many people as the Disney races attract it doesn't seem that bad. I actually like this course better than the January half marathon course but I guess a little variety is a good thing.
I will work on a picture of the bling.