PolynesianPrincess' First Trip Report

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

PolynesianPrincess' First Trip Report

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Mon 19, 2011 11:12 pm

So I've never tried the "pre-trip" report thing before, but I figured I need something to keep me busy/sane these last 19 days. Obviously the big news today is - WOOHOO finally out of the 20's!!

So I guess the main details...
Who's Going?
My husband and I, as always. I'm still trying to convince my family to go back with us one time. They haven't been since we got engaged back in 2008 and are currently obsessed with going to Hawaii. :lol:
When?
October 8-12
Where?
Port Orleans Riverside

We definitely don't do the planning and itinerary thing - we go with the flow where we feel like that day and only worry about our dining reservations and evening EMHs. We have reservations at Il Mulino (new to us - got a $25 gift card for $2 on restaurant.com the other day), Grand Floridian Cafe (third visit), Sanaa (new to us), and Les Chefs de France (third visit). We're planning on hitting Earl of Sandwich, Captain Cook's, and Pepper Market for counter service and we'll pick the rest as we feel like it.

Is it too early to be "done" with work? I'm so ready for a break from teaching little (and big) kids right now and it's making the days draaaaaaaaaag on. :lol: Maybe they'll at least be cute for me so it won't be so torturous.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: PolynesianPrincess' First Trip Report

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Which parks to you plan to visit? Any planned excursions off property?

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Mon 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh yes, I meant to post that! For those that didn't see/don't remember it, I had posted a question about best things to do outside of the parks. It was looking like I might not be able to ride thrill rides, so we didn't want to spend a fortune on theme park tickets if we wouldn't get to enjoy our favorite rides.

I got the all clear from the doctor, so we're going ahead and getting 4 days park hoppers. No off property excursions planned since that all worked out and we'll be there such a short time.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 20, 2011 6:30 am

Polynesian Princess wrote:Oh yes, I meant to post that! For those that didn't see/don't remember it, I had posted a question about best things to do outside of the parks. It was looking like I might not be able to ride thrill rides, so we didn't want to spend a fortune on theme park tickets if we wouldn't get to enjoy our favorite rides.

I got the all clear from the doctor, so we're going ahead and getting 4 days park hoppers. No off property excursions planned since that all worked out and we'll be there such a short time.
That is great news that you can go and enjoy everything! Good luck on the kids being cute ~ I swear a majority of my students have mutated into tiny little monsters incapable of sitting still or paying attention for more than 3 seconds at a time :roll:

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Tue 20, 2011 8:32 am

:lol: They keep me busy at least. And crazy. :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 20, 2011 9:25 am

Polynesian Princess wrote::lol: They keep me busy at least. And crazy. :lol:
...luckily you have us here on Subsonic. We're always soooooooooo well behaved... :twisted: :roll: :wink:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Tue 20, 2011 9:35 am

We're just going to miss you Poly Princess! B-dude and I are going Oct. 12-17!

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Tue 20, 2011 10:07 am

mindflipper wrote:
Polynesian Princess wrote::lol: They keep me busy at least. And crazy. :lol:
...luckily you have us here on Subsonic. We're always soooooooooo well behaved... :twisted: :roll: :wink:
:lol: Oh of course we are. And I'm too tired of being "strict teacher" at my day job, so I guess I'll let it slide and perhaps join in. ;)
boilerbabe wrote:We're just going to miss you Poly Princess! B-dude and I are going Oct. 12-17!
That was so close! We actually almost went those dates too, but the earlier one worked out better for my husband's job. And usually we stay until the bitter end and drive home through the night of the day we leave, but my husband's working on the 13th, so we're going to have to leave early in the day. In fact, we're not even getting a ticket for that day. :(

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Safe travels to you Poly Princess! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Thu 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks boilerbabe! Right back at you!

I've not had the best day...

So we have a room only reservation. Typically you pay one night's deposit and then the remainder is due at check in, however we like to pay the rest just before we go so that it's one less thing to do when we check in. When I called out today to do this, I found out to my surprise that we were booked at Riverside and not French Quarter. My heart sank...

I think I've posted this story on here before, but we had a less than stellar stay at POR the time we stayed there. We managed to arrive at prime check in time, so after waiting 30-45 minutes in the line, we went to our room, carried our stuff up to the 2nd or 3rd floor, and opened the door - only to find out that it was full of someone else's stuff. When looking around the room trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed a wad of cash on the table, which was kind of scary - they felt safe and at home in their hotel room, and Disney gave someone a prime opportunity to steal from them. In that respect, I was glad it was us, who just shut the door and walked away, rather than someone who might not have been so honest. Then we had to go back and wait for a while again to get in a new room. I guess nothing else really bad happened on our trip, but it still managed to taint the resort for us. I also think POR is less impressive to us because it's a Southern theme and it looks pretty much like where we live, which makes it seem less special? Plus, it was only a 2 night stay, so the wasted time with the room issue seemed more significant and we didn't have long to fall in love with the resort.

Of course there's absolutely NO availability at POFQ now and they also couldn't get us in a room at the same price anywhere else, so they offered us a king bed room at POR. I told her I guessed that was okay, but once I hung up I was just felt devastated. I called back to talk with a supervisor and she was able to get us in CBR.

I know it won't matter so much once we get there, but for now I guess I need to mourn ...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Ooh! You're staying at CBR? That's where we're staying in January. Please provide insight on the resort after your trip...it seems not many have stayed there and it seems pretty nice from the outside, but you know how that goes... :roll: I'm most worried about transportation (and the fact that we're going to have an ECV doesn't help, but oh well...).

I'm sure you're going to have a blast anyway! Besides, you'll be busy in the parks...the room is just a place to sleep and shower, right? ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Oh Poly, how disappointing :(
Maybe you could have them keep checking and see if anything opens up at the French Quarter? At least you are currently staying at Caribbean and not in POR where you have some bad associations with the past trip.
Otherwise I echo MmeLeota's sentiments. Sleep and shower in the room and enjoy the rest of the time in the parks :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Think of it as a new adventure!!! :D I know it doesn't help that CBR is not POFQ, but hopefully you will have a fabulous experience anyway! :mrgreen:

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Thu 22, 2011 8:39 pm

We've stayed at CBR twice before and enjoyed it both times. :) The first time was in Aruba for the first night of our honeymoon before we left for our cruise the next morning, so we were only there for about 8 hours total. :lol: The second time we spent 5 days in Jamaica and had a nice time.

The most common complaints I've read are...
1. "It's too big!"
My husband and I rode bikes around the whole loop and it really wasn't that big. The bridge across the middle of the lake means that pretty much every room is close to Old Port Royale. I wish they had a bridge like that at CSR because that would really help. The rooms that are the furthest from everything are in Trinidad South, but those are now pirate rooms, so you know you won't be in there unless you book one. As far as non-pirate rooms go, the most inconvenient ones would be in Barbados, but they still wouldn't be bad. You can also use the shuttle bus to get around, but we found it easier to walk.

2. "The check in is separate from everything!"
Obviously being the first non-deluxe resort that was built, some things are different at CSR. The check in house is a totally separate section from food court and gift shop. This really bothers people for some reason, and I've never understood why. In fact, I kind of like it that way. It makes the check in so peaceful and calm and keeps the people just arriving and dragging luggage everywhere away from the food court and gift shop. If you don't have a car, the shuttle bus loop stops at all islands and check in and is the only Disney bus you are allowed to take luggage on.

3. "There are too many bus stops!"
CBR has seven bus stops. This is another thing that really upsets people that I actually like. At the single stop resorts, you have a lot of people waiting in a small area, then everyone has to fight to get on the bus and hope to get a seat. But I know people like that as soon as they get on the bus, they're on their way. At CBR, each island, as well as Old Port Royale has its own bus stop. What's so nice about this is that no matter where you are, you know you're close to a bus stop. I also find the bus moves quickly around the loop and the stops seem easy and less problematic - they open the door, a few hop off, a few get on, then you're heading to the next stop. This may be more trouble with an ECV since if you're a later stop, another ECV rider may board at an earlier stop, so you end up waiting for the next bus. I vaguely remember reading about a procedure they have where they will page the next bus for that park to stop at that island first, but I don't remember well enough to say for certain that is true. I think Jamaica is the first stop and the bus goes clockwise around the loop.

The colors are fun, the music is fun, the pool is awesome (with two hot tubs and three slides), the kiddie water play area looks amazing - all in all it's a great place. The only thing that I hate is the Nemo decor. When we stayed on our honeymoon, it was before the Nemo remodel and it was so pretty. I don't mind some characters in the room, but the amount of Nemo they used is a bit over the top to me.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Thu 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Amy wrote:Oh Poly, how disappointing :(
Maybe you could have them keep checking and see if anything opens up at the French Quarter? At least you are currently staying at Caribbean and not in POR where you have some bad associations with the past trip.
Otherwise I echo MmeLeota's sentiments. Sleep and shower in the room and enjoy the rest of the time in the parks :D
I was debating whether or not to do that. Obviously this close out, it's unlikely one will come open. I checked each day individually and the weekend is the problem - there's no rooms on Oct 8 or 9, but they are available Oct 10 and 11. On one hand, I know it would be really great to get to be there again after all, but I'm also afraid the hoping my keep me feeling disappointed longer than accepting and moving on.

It bothers me that we found out this close to the trip when we've been talking about it for so long now, but I hate to think what it would have been like if I hadn't called to pay the remaining balance. We would have gotten there and found out, which would have been even worse.