Halloween at Disney!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Halloween at Disney!

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
Cub wrote:I actually came across (and bought) a Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas) costume today! I'm even more excited now! :ccat:
It's funny you should mention that....as we are hoping to go to Disneyland's Halloween party next month, and our 13th anniversary is around the corner, we wanted to do a Haunted Mansiones, (yes, I wanted to try to be Madame Leota, but it wasn't working) or Nightmare Before Christmas theme for costumes. We found a Jack costume for hubby, but I can't find a Sally costume for me so I was thinking about trying to put together my own version. We'll see how things go...
Last year we dressed up as Carl and Ellie Frederickson from "UP", but since we decided to go at the last minute, we didn't do a real good job on our costumes. Hopefully this year will be better.
I'll have to do some checking next time I go to Idaho Falls... I think the Halloween stores are open by now.
We have a few Halloween stores that are open year 'round :shock:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote: I'll have to do some checking next time I go to Idaho Falls... I think the Halloween stores are open by now.
How fortunate you are... I wish this holiday got more respect especially out here with all the religious people, but they think it's too satanic. :( No one but me seems to want to celebrate here at school.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Honestly, I only like the cute, funny Halloween...I'm not into all the scary stuff...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:36 pm

I love it all, unless it's gory or gross. Then I don't think so!

I like Halloween better than Christmas, actually... :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote: I'll have to do some checking next time I go to Idaho Falls... I think the Halloween stores are open by now.
How fortunate you are... I wish this holiday got more respect especially out here with all the religious people, but they think it's too satanic. :( No one but me seems to want to celebrate here at school.
I'm not sure exactly what they sell during the rest of the year :roll: We have a fairly big portion of the population that don't celebrate Halloween as well, but most everyone is tolerant of everyone else. At least from what I see. People that don't celebrate Halloween celebrate All Saints Day the next day instead.
I'm with you MmeLeota, I like the fun parts of Halloween...after all, I am getting too old to recover quickly from deathly frights :hm_ghost: ;) Of course, right now I have a student who delights in scaring the tar out of me every week now :roll: :evil:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:55 pm

There were people around here that didn't do it, but I almost swear they don't do it to be a-holes. They would have their lights on, screen doors open (back when there were screen doors) and then would just wait for people to come up ring the bell and tell them "we don't do that".

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:There were people around here that didn't do it, but I almost swear they don't do it to be a-holes. They would have their lights on, screen doors open (back when there were screen doors) and then would just wait for people to come up ring the bell and tell them "we don't do that".
Oh, that's not nice. The people that don't participate here leave their lights off. Not sure when the porch light became the universal sign for "come and get your candy" but it seems to work...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 19, 2011 9:53 pm

If the porch light is a signal, then that would be a problem with my street. I feel my skinflint neighbors don't turn them on to save on $0.02 of electricity of cost (and for Halloween, also to avoid the candy costs as well)...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 20, 2011 12:16 am

Everyone knows the rule is to hide in shame since any attempt to evangelize children will be met with derision at best and eggs at worst.

That goes the same for people who give out raisins.

Cub
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Cub » Sep Wed 21, 2011 9:40 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Everyone knows the rule is to hide in shame since any attempt to evangelize children will be met with derision at best and eggs at worst.

That goes the same for people who give out raisins.

I bet there would be many angry kids who got raisins. :lol: Don't those people know Halloween is all about the candy?

Speaking of candy...what kind is given out at WDW? My brother has been asking me and I honestly have no idea if they have some kind of special Disney candy or just regular candy. :lol:
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 10:09 am

From the photos I've seen, it is regular candy ~ Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, m&ms, etc...
I like boxes of raisins, but I doubt I liked them as a child at Halloween time :roll: The best was the next door neighbor. They never bothered getting candy since we were the only kids that went to their house so they gave us whatever change was in their pocket :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 10:16 am

Hmmmmm, after Wiz's post about the knock-off in China, I kinda want to see "It's a Small Zombie World" at WDW for Halloween...

Cub

Post by Cub » Sep Wed 21, 2011 10:57 am

Amy wrote:From the photos I've seen, it is regular candy ~ Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, m&ms, etc...
I like boxes of raisins, but I doubt I liked them as a child at Halloween time :roll: The best was the next door neighbor. They never bothered getting candy since we were the only kids that went to their house so they gave us whatever change was in their pocket :D
That's what I thought. I'm sure there will be some special Disney treats at the bakeries and such. :D

When I was younger, we had a lady in our town who made her own popcorn balls and gave them out every year. They were the yummiest ones I've ever had and were always my favorite treat.
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney♥

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Cub wrote:
Amy wrote:From the photos I've seen, it is regular candy ~ Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, m&ms, etc...
That's what I thought. I'm sure there will be some special Disney treats at the bakeries and such. :D

When I was younger, we had a lady in our town who made her own popcorn balls and gave them out every year. They were the yummiest ones I've ever had and were always my favorite treat.
There are lots of Halloween treats at the bakeries I'm sure. They definitely have some special decorated apples. My friends always got popcorn balls for Halloween and I never, ever got one. I wanted one soooo badly too :lol:
mindflipper wrote:Hmmmmm, after Wiz's post about the knock-off in China, I kinda want to see "It's a Small Zombie World" at WDW for Halloween...
I'm pretty sure they would never go there...unless they ran out of money and It's a Small World didn't see a refurb for a long time :shock: ;)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:31 pm

When we went to the Halloween Party last year at DL, we got regular candy. M&M's, Skittles, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, Reese PB cups, etc... but we also got a few really good things. Ghirardelli chocolate (only 4 squares of it though... :? ), Disney freeze dried apple slices (only a couple of bags), and a few bags of craisins (yummy!).

There were also some locations that had boxes of raisins if you asked for them...I was impressed that they at least had a "few" healthier options...but it was obvious that they wanted to give you the candy. If you asked for the healtheir option, you got 1 bag. If you just got the candy, you got several pieces (depending on the CM and what time of night it was...)

Last night, I showed that zombie knock off IASW video to hubby...I'm surprised we didn't have nightmares! :shock: