Our Exciting Vacation in the World

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Our Exciting Vacation in the World

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Sounds like another great end to another great day. Buzzy is very cute ~ and it sounds like he made a great friend for your son :D
Free glow in the dark cups with popcorn?! Score! I love anything that glows in the dark, and you can't go wrong with popcorn :lol:
I can see how kids would enjoy Indy even if they haven't seen the movie. Lots of action happening...plus fire!
Too bad about the EWP...guess I'll have to wait and see if you actually saw it the next night...
No plan for the next day? Was the part of the plan?! ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 3:28 pm

The wind can wreak havoc on fireworks, Fantasmic, Illuminations and the EWP. Did you get to see it any other night after that?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Wed 21, 2011 7:31 pm

Ahh yes the night of the 25th. I do remember how kind of different it felt as the hurricane scurried off the east coast of Florida. Once the rains had cleared it was really a nice day. You could also spot the outer cloud line from the storm if you kept looking off to the east. The breeze was enjoyable and Illuminations went off that night without a hitch. I could see how it would affect other things like the EWP.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Len90 wrote:Ahh yes the night of the 25th. I do remember how kind of different it felt as the hurricane scurried off the east coast of Florida. Once the rains had cleared it was really a nice day. You could also spot the outer cloud line from the storm if you kept looking off to the east. The breeze was enjoyable and Illuminations went off that night without a hitch. I could see how it would affect other things like the EWP.
Of course, we'll hear more details about this in your upcoming trip report... :?: :wink:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Wed 21, 2011 11:14 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:Ahh yes the night of the 25th. I do remember how kind of different it felt as the hurricane scurried off the east coast of Florida. Once the rains had cleared it was really a nice day. You could also spot the outer cloud line from the storm if you kept looking off to the east. The breeze was enjoyable and Illuminations went off that night without a hitch. I could see how it would affect other things like the EWP.
Of course, we'll hear more details about this in your upcoming trip report... :?: :wink:
Eventually :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Of course, we'll hear more details about this in your upcoming trip report... :?: :wink:
No rush, dude...take your time...if you can get it done before your trip next summer... :wink: :D

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Sep Sun 25, 2011 9:09 am

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Of course, we'll hear more details about this in your upcoming trip report... :?: :wink:
No rush, dude...take your time...if you can get it done before your trip next summer... :wink: :D
I think my plan is to get my trip report done before Len starts his:)

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Sep Sun 25, 2011 9:40 am

Friday August 26th - The Day Without a Plan

OK, do you really believe that I didn't have a plan for this day? Of course I did, but it was much looser and not as fully developed as the previous days plans. I just told my wife that we didn't have any plans for this day:). The plan *was* to head over to Epcot for Extra Magic Morning hours, and pick up anything we hadn't accomplished previously (like some of the countries and the Living Seas). Fortunately for us, we did not follow this plan at all. Theoretically, Epcot would have been more crowded today anyway.

Seeing as how much fun the kids had at Hollywood Studios the day before, we headed back there. I let the kids sleep late again, but we managed to get to the bus stop at around 8:15. We were at the Studios and waiting in line by 8:45, and they started letting people in by 8:50. Here's where some advanced planning could have helped...Our older son K announced on the bus that he wanted to do the Jedi Training Academy (I guess he noticed the show on the previous day). Unfortunately I had no idea how to accomplish this, but Melanie and the kids headed off to the left to signup for that, while I went over to Toy Story Midway Mania to get some Fast Passes. I know we didn't need them, but I felt I should have the experience nonetheless. Here's a pro-tip: They don't let you walk down the stairs into the Animation Courtyard area, they force everyone to walk through the arch. Had I known this I might have lined up in the main lineup, instead of in the smaller queue near Echo Lake. By the time I got to Toy Story, the return times were 10:30 to 11:30, and by the time I got Fast Passes the return time was 11:25 to 12:25! Simply amazing! I'm sure the Fast Passes were gone for the day by noon.

I ran over (well, jogged anyway) to Star Tours to try to meet up with the family, but there was no one there. I headed back towards the entrance, to see what could possibly be taking them so long, when I discoverd that the Jedi Academy signup location is in the Sounds Dangerous building. I saw our stroller parked outside, and my wife and kids were inside getting K signed up. His show time was 10:50, which worked out well with our plans for the day, which I assure you we didn't have (but I really did!).

We went over to Star Tours to take a ride (in an attempt to see the Hoth scene, which K wanted to see), but T didn't want to go. I left my wife with K to enjoy another Tour, while T and I went off to explore on our own. We planned to meet up with them for the Jedi Training show. T and I went off to watch the 9:40 Disney Junior Live show again, and we got to sit in the middle front this time (since we weren't late). He definitely enjoyed seeing it a second time, and collecting more "doubloons". I imagine this will be the last time we see one of these preschool shows!

I didn't have anything else planned at this point (if our Fast Pass return times for TSMM had been better, we would have gone on that), so we ambled back towards Star Tours, and picked up a couple of frozen Cokes on the way to keep T cool. We sat down at the tables nearby the Jedi show, and watched the end of the 10:15 show. K was supposed to be back at 10:30 for the 10:50 show, so I figured we didn't have long to wait. I thought they might have been riding Star Tours again, but there was no sign of them or the stroller by 10:25. Finally I realized that, as before, I was completely wrong about where we were supposed to be at 10:30, and that they were probably supposed to be back at the sign up place. Sure enough, that's where they were. I'm glad my wife was in charge of this signup thing, since I would have completely messed it up! She's very smart! I gave her the frozen Coke that I had been saving for her.

So T and I headed back to the Jedi Training Academy to get a good spot to view the show and waited. It didn't take long for K and the other trainees to appear in their Jedi robes. He was happy to be on the stage rather than the area below the stage, since that meant he would be battling Darth Vader as opposed to Darth Maul. Apparently Darth Maul would have been tougher since he had a dual lightsaber. The show was really funny, and definitely worth the time spent. I'm glad K found out about the show, since I never would have considered signing him up for it (I didn't really know about it).

Here's a random pic from the show (I don't know who that kid is):

After the Jedi show, we went over to Toy Story Midway Mania for a ride. I had been using Len's string pulling technique to try to get a higher score in the past, but this time I didn't want to show up either of my sons, so I kept my score intentionally low. K got upset that someone else in the car scored higher than he did, but my wife and I assured him that it must have been someone in the *other* pair of cars (really it was my wife).

It was around noon by now, so we walked over to the ABC Commissary for lunch, which I had never been to, but it was nice enough for a quick service restaurant. We made some plans for the afternoon where we would split up again so my wife could take K on a couple of things, and I would explore some more with T and head back to the resort. I'll continue the story a little later!
Last edited by Brian845 on Sep Fri 30, 2011 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Wow ~ guess you need to plan ahead and find out where to sign up for the Jedi Academy. I would have guessed at Star Tours instead of in the Sounds Dangerous building. Sounds like another nice, "unplanned" day. Don't forget you can use your fast passes later than the return time printed on them...waiting for some more day...ummmm....four?
Mmmm, frozen cokes are yummy. But the one I had at Animal Kingdom was really bad. How were the ones you had at DHS?

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Sep Fri 30, 2011 5:07 am

Friday Evening

After lunch, T and I went over to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure (this playground needs a shorter name!), where he enjoyed running around on his own without his older brother. Afterwards, we headed over to the Star Tours gift shop, since my wife and I had decided that the kids could build their own lightsabers if they wanted to. Did I mention that he loves gift shops? T built a purple one, which is taller than he is when it's extended!

We went for another ride on TSMM, and then headed back to the resort at this point (pausing to get our picture taken at the arch into the Animation Courtyard).

On the bus on the way back we amused ourselves in our usual fashion. T invented a paperless version of Tic-Tac-Toe, where you just point to different spots on his knee and call out X or O. I don't know how to win, since he beats me every time. We also play a modified version of "Rock Paper Scissors", with the additions of "Shoot" (a gun that beats the basic hand signs), "Invincibility" (which is unbeatable), and "Pickleman" (who also beats everything, using a variety of weapons). I never win at this game either, the rules are constantly changing!

Meanwhile, my wife and K went off on their own for the early afternoon. They had thought about going on the Backlot Tour, but it would have conflicted with their plans to see "Lights, Motors, Action" at 1:30, so they went directly there instead. It was apparently quite memorable, since K still regales me with tales of the different cars they had and how the did certain stunts. Then they went over to Star Tours, where K built a green lightsaber. He'll be an expert in no time! They were back at the resort by 3PM.

I haven't mentioned the hurricane yet. Earlier in the week there had been concerns that a tropical storm in the Atlantic would develop into a hurricane, and hit Florida directly towards Friday, interfering with our vacation. I didn't mention it, since I had been studiously ignoring it. I also didn't mention the earthquake which happened on Tuesday, with an epicenter in Virginia. Frankly I like to ignore the outside world when I'm in Disneyworld. I'll give the events of 9/11/2001 as an example of this...That happened on our 3rd day of our Honeymoon in the World, when we were staying at the Grand Floridian. My mom called me that morning, and informed me of the events, and specifically asked us not to go to the parks that day, but of course I ignored her warnings and went anyway! The closed down all the parks around 11AM that day (we were in Epcot).

Anyway, by this day it was becoming clear that although Hurricane Irene was not really going to affect our vacation in Disneyworld, it was going to seriously impact our plans on getting home, since the airports would likely be closed. So I came up with a backup plan of renting a car and driving home. While T was resting in the hotel room (he did not nap), I called AAA and made the necessary travel arrangements with Hertz. My wife and I went to college on the west coast of Florida, so we had both done the driving trip several times (although not with children!). I managed to do it in 21 hours straight once (lots of Mountain Dew on that trip). To me it made more sense to drive home and get home on Monday night, rather than having to wait for the airline to find us a flight some time in the future (Tuesday or later).

We had reservations at 5PM at Chef Mickey's, so we took a Blue Flag Launch from the Wilderness Lodge over to the Contemporary. We were checked in at the restaurant by 4:30, which gave me time to go to the Business Center and check my email (we did not bring a laptop with us, and I didn't have a smart phone...we were on vacation from technology as well!). It cost me $6 for 10 minutes of computer time, but that was enough to check the car rental reservations and let people know of our driving plans. Dinner at Chef Mickey's was ok, but it wasn't great. We saw Goofy, Pluto, Mickey, Donald, and Minnie. The best part about Chef Mickey's is being able to watch the Monorails drive by, and of course being able to take the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom after dinner.

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom at around 6:30PM, and headed over to Tomorrowland to ride a few things. First we took another spin with Buzz Lightyear. I sat with T, and helped Buzzy, who was in charge of spinning the car around. Afterwards I managed to convince him to take his picture with Emperor Zurg at the end of the ride, which he wouldn't do on the first day.

We then spent a fair amount of time in line for the Astro Orbiters. T initially said he didn't want to ride, so we went up just to watch my wife and K go, but at the last second he changed his mind and wanted to go. Fortunately there was an open rocket for us to ride in, and he had a great time.

The PeopleMover was our next stop, because it was starting to get dark, and Tomorrowland looks a lot different at night time. It's more colorful for one. It's also a great way to relax for a few moments. T walked down the moving exit ramp himself (rather than being carrier), so he's getting a bit more adventurous.

We ambled over to Fantasyland to ride the Tea Cups again, since that was T's favorite here at the Magic Kingdom. This time he sat with his mom, and I sat with K for a change. After the ride T commented that "You" (meaning me, as Daddy) made the ride "more funner". I guess my wife wasn't spinning as fast! It's good to know that I'm useful for some things:).

We could have stayed and done a few more rides, but we wanted to head back to the resort for a swim. We stopped briefly at the Emporium on Main Street and picked up a pin lanyard for T, along with a few pins. We left shortly after 8PM, and people were already lining for the Main Street Electrical Parade. Why someone would want to sit for that length of time is beyond me! We took the boat back to the hotel (we all got boat trading cards, which were new to me).

Back at the resort we grabbed a quick snack at the Old Faithful Club (since we had made it back in time for it to still be open!), and then we all grabbed our bathing suits and went downstairs. We swam for a bit, and then I took K over to the beach to watch the Electrical Water Pageant again at 9:30 (T did not want to see it again, and stayed swimming with his mom). Afterwards we returned to the pool, and swam until the lifeguards went off duty at 10PM, and then went upstairs and went to bed. Tomorrow was our last day in the parks!

:ccat:
Last edited by Brian845 on Sep Fri 30, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 30, 2011 6:40 am

Oooo, pictures first! Fun :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Fri 30, 2011 11:08 am

Wow seems like a full day on the 26th for you. We originally started out with EPCOT and made it over MK for EMH that night. We had the same issues when traveling. I was well aware of the hurricane that was potentially going to hit WDW and Florida towards the end of the week when we left NJ. We were bracing for it and a couple of extra days, but were taken by surprise with the turn it took to the northeast. You definitely were being a bit short in saying the best would be Tuesday as the airlines were booking Thursday and Friday at the earliest when I rebooked on the 26th and then it was into the weekend a couple of hours later. It was interesting to see all of the Northeast people on their phones at the parks and pool trying to figure out how to rework and rebook their vacations.
- Len90

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Sep Fri 30, 2011 11:39 am

Len90 wrote:Wow seems like a full day on the 26th for you. We originally started out with EPCOT and made it over MK for EMH that night. We had the same issues when traveling. I was well aware of the hurricane that was potentially going to hit WDW and Florida towards the end of the week when we left NJ. We were bracing for it and a couple of extra days, but were taken by surprise with the turn it took to the northeast. You definitely were being a bit short in saying the best would be Tuesday as the airlines were booking Thursday and Friday at the earliest when I rebooked on the 26th and then it was into the weekend a couple of hours later. It was interesting to see all of the Northeast people on their phones at the parks and pool trying to figure out how to rework and rebook their vacations.
I was writing this from the viewpoint from that Friday, which I figured Tuesday would be when they would start booking people again. Of course I found out after the fact that Continental automatically booked us on a return flight that Saturday, almost a week later! Driving home was much easier, and it allowed me to relax the last couple of days we were there, since we were in total control of the return home, without worrying about the unknowns of having to fly home at some point. I'm kind of a control freak, but I do alright:)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 30, 2011 12:05 pm

Great report! I enjoyed your pictures too! Sounds like you guys got alot accomplished that day! :D

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Oct Sun 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Saturday August 27th

This was our last day in the parks, and it was both a tough day and a good day. It was also another "unplanned day", and as you may realize I still had plans in mind. I had thought we were going to do another morning in Animal Kingdom, but since we really did everything there we wanted to do, we decided on spending the morning in Epcot. The only official thing we had planned was dinner at the Castle in the Magic Kingdom around 6, so we would finish the evening there. The kids wanted to ride on Test Track and Mexico again, plus we hadn't made it to the Living Seas this trip. It was another late morning, but I arose at 5PM and did more laundry. I had to return to work on Monday, so I figured it would be nice not having to worry about having clean clothes when we go home. I had yet another problem with one of the dryers not drying...This time it was one of the ones that had worked the other morning, so that was kind of disappointing. Even with that problem, I was back in the room at 7AM, and went about waking the family, but at a leisurely pace. I even let them enjoy breakfast and cartoons in the club area for once!

We were down at the bus stop by 8:30, and arrived at Epcot a little after 9AM. We met another family on the bus who were apparently visiting or staying on property for the first time. The were amused by our various different games (like rock, paper, scissors etc.) I played with the kid. As we were getting off the bus, they asked us if they needed "those badges" for their kids too (the parents had theirs). Apparently they didn't understand that the cards to the room were also their kids' tickets to get into the parks. The father was ready to get back on the bus to return to the resort, but we convinced them to visit guest services to see if they could help. My wife overheard them talking to a security guard who assured them that as long as the adults had their cards, guest services could reissue the kids tickets. Hopefully things worked out...I felt bad for them, since it was such a rookie mistake!

We upgraded to a double stroller again today (since Epcot involves so much walking), and then went over to Test Track. T balked at getting his height measured, and he confided to me that he really didn't want to ride it again. No matter, since he and I could amuse ourselves in the gift shop, while K and my DW went on the ride. We looked around the shop for a bit, and I convinced T that he needed some Mater "Goofy" ears. We waited a bit more, and then headed over to the exit of the ride. We were at the Photo Pass picture screens, but they were rather disconcertingly not displaying anything. We learned that the ride had broken down! DW and K had been waiting in the queue for about 20 minutes, but finally we saw them get in a ride car and speed away.

The delay at Test Track put us behind our schedule (which we didn't have). K had decided earlier that he wanted to go on Tower of Terror over in Hollywood Studios (this is what made it a tough day). To accomodate him, I decided that we would take the boat from the International Gateway over to the Studios (there is also a bus that goes straight there). I thought we might have time to do the Living Seas after Test Track, but it was about 10:30, so thought it would be better to do Mexico, since the countries would open soon. My DW could take T over to the Living Seas afterwards, while I took K over to Hollywood Studios. That was the plan anyway!

We stopped in between Innoventions and got somce ice cream for the boys. While they were snacking, up walked a friend of mine from back home (a fellow soccer club coach). It really is a small world at times:). After their snack, we used some of the mist from the fountains to clean the boys up (it was a windy day), and then ambled over to Mexico. We arrived about 10 minutes early and waited as patiently as I'm capable of being. We got to participate in the opening ceremony, where K got to do the count down in Spanish (counting backwards in a foreign language ismore difficult!)

We hastily made our way to the boatride, where we were the second group on. T enjoyed the ride as much as the first time, and got to see some new things since we were on the other side of the boat for this trip. After the boat ride we spent some time in the "open air" market (since my children love gift shops). Some day I'd like to come back and eat here, once the kids eat something other than chicken nuggets and pizza!

Ok, i'll do the next part in a bit...
Last edited by Brian845 on Oct Sun 09, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.