Our Exciting Vacation in the World

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Our Exciting Vacation in the World

Post by Len90 » Oct Mon 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Haha three parks in one day. I have usually only done two in a day and kept it at that for this trip. However, there were a couple of days where 3 parks snuck in. It really is exhausting but definitely a fun thing to hit up as many parks in a day. Awesome job surviving all three mountains. I did notice when I tried to put my hands up on SM that you can feel the track above you.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Len90 wrote:Haha three parks in one day. I have usually only done two in a day and kept it at that for this trip. However, there were a couple of days where 3 parks snuck in. It really is exhausting but definitely a fun thing to hit up as many parks in a day. Awesome job surviving all three mountains. I did notice when I tried to put my hands up on SM that you can feel the track above you.
You can't actually touch the track can you? I don't think I would want to put up my hands in Space Mountain...just in case :shock:
I'm trying to remember if I've been to all four parks in one day before. We usually hit two and sometimes I will make it to three while F1gment heads back to the room. I might need to make that a goal this time to go and see something big in each of the four parks :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Fri 02, 2011 12:28 am

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:Haha three parks in one day. I have usually only done two in a day and kept it at that for this trip. However, there were a couple of days where 3 parks snuck in. It really is exhausting but definitely a fun thing to hit up as many parks in a day. Awesome job surviving all three mountains. I did notice when I tried to put my hands up on SM that you can feel the track above you.
You can't actually touch the track can you? I don't think I would want to put up my hands in Space Mountain...just in case :shock:
I'm trying to remember if I've been to all four parks in one day before. We usually hit two and sometimes I will make it to three while F1gment heads back to the room. I might need to make that a goal this time to go and see something big in each of the four parks :D
I honestly don't think you could if you are sitting properly but it sure does make you feel like you can. I honestly think it is all in the design of the ride.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 02, 2011 8:32 am

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
I honestly don't think you could if you are sitting properly but it sure does make you feel like you can. I honestly think it is all in the design of the ride.
I know that most of the times I ride Space Mountain no one has their arms up in the air for very long :shock: :lol: I was surprised this time around to see a few people keep their arms up the whole time on Rock n Roller Coaster. Those tracks seem very close too! I'm sure they have tested all those clearances several times well before they open the rides since they know some people are going to have their arms up anyhow.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Dec Sat 03, 2011 2:42 am

Amy wrote:I know that most of the times I ride Space Mountain no one has their arms up in the air for very long :shock: :lol: I was surprised this time around to see a few people keep their arms up the whole time on Rock n Roller Coaster. Those tracks seem very close too! I'm sure they have tested all those clearances several times well before they open the rides since they know some people are going to have their arms up anyhow.
Would you like to see a picture of the mountain with it's lights on?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 03, 2011 9:46 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:I know that most of the times I ride Space Mountain no one has their arms up in the air for very long :shock: :lol: I was surprised this time around to see a few people keep their arms up the whole time on Rock n Roller Coaster. Those tracks seem very close too! I'm sure they have tested all those clearances several times well before they open the rides since they know some people are going to have their arms up anyhow.
Would you like to see a picture of the mountain with it's lights on?
Yes please!

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Dec Sun 04, 2011 5:06 am

OK these pics aren't great. Sleepy made me post them :lol:

Taken from the TTA people mover. (...........look at the folks I'm telling this to. You know where the pics were taken from :) )

I had the wrong lens fitted and having the lights on took me by surprise. I just grabbed the camera and started shooting. I didn't have it on the best settings. The flash just bounced off the perspex and made the whole pic white so I switched that off quick.
I wonder why they paint it gray and not black :?
These are the best of the series I took.

"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 04, 2011 8:35 am

Those are awesome Joe! What a jumble of steel :shock: I had no idea :shock: That would be a mess to evacuate off that attraction wouldn't it?!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Dec Mon 05, 2011 10:52 am

I am proud to say that on my last trip, I made it to all 4 parks in one day - using 3 different modes of transportation. (Bus, boat, monorail) Something I had always wanted to do and without even trying to make it to all 4 - my husband and I did it! Check that off my DW Bucket List! <---that might be a fun new thread to start! Disney World Bucket List! :mickey:

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Mar Thu 15, 2012 8:14 am

Ok, so I guess it's finally time to finish off my trip report:). I've been hesitant to do so, since that means I have to finally admit that our trip is over (6 months later!). It's the same reason that I didn't finish my journal after our trip in 2008 until we were flying down for our latest trip (although I finished my journal this time around!). I only hope I can remember enough of the details...

It was Sunday, and it was our last official day in the World. We had no plans to visit any of the parks, since we had a flight scheduled to leave early in the afternoon. Of course Hurricane Irene took care of cancelling that flight, so as you may recall we had made alternate plans to pickup a rental car at the airport and drive home. I had made some reservations for breakfast at the Whispering Canyon Cafe, but when I woke up early at 6:30AM or so, my family was sleeping so peacefully that I didn't want to wake them. So I cancelled our reservations that were scheduled for 8:15. Of course it meant that we never actually ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe, which is perhaps a little disappointing, but we will make plans to return some time in the future! When my family eventually woke up, we ate breakfast up on the club level of the lodge, and we were able to eat at a leisurely pace for once!

We still used our Magical Express service to the airport, so it was nice to have the full experience. I think we were picked up around 10:00 or so, and had an uneventful but entertaining ride to the airport (incidentally, this was the bus drive who gave us all the good gossip about the Polynesian being renovated and the possibility of River Country being reopened). Once at the airport, we had our keys in hand by 11:15, and were on our way!

A 2 day car trip with a 5 and 7 year old was not much fun to look forward to, so one of our first stops was to Best Buy to pickup a DVD player and some movies for the ride home. The next stop was to the Verizon store where I finally bought a smart phone so I could check email, and my wife could see what was going on Facebook. It was nice to be able to finally connect to the world again, after a technology free vacation!

I won't bore you with any further details of the ride home, other than the fact we stopped at Best Buy 3 times on the trip (the last time just to use the bathroom!). We had no problems with the weather or after effects of Irene until we hit Northern NJ, where we had to take numerous detours since 287 was closed (and the GPS insisted on directing us toward 287 every time we took a detour...The rental car had a GPS, which made it easy to find food and Best Buys and such:). There were also a lot of power trucks, tree service trucks, and Service Master trucks headed up 95, several different convoys of them! We made it home about 36 hours after we started, since we stopped for the night in VA...a bit different from when I was in college in Florida and used to drive a similar trip home straight through in about 21 hours!

Incidentally, I'm sorry I haven't spent much time on the board. I guess I get kind of depressed for a bit after a big Disney trip, so I didn't share much. I'm also not a huge fan of the Disney Christmas music, although I have been listening regularly. I was happily busy with other things at least:). At least by now you've all forgotten about our trip, so my "Where in the World" pictures will be harder to guess!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Wow ~ I'd forgotten you never finished your report. Guess I won't be too late when I eventually finish mine then ;)
Smart thinking getting some entertainment for the kiddos on the way home. Did you keep stopping at Best Buy for more movies??
Yeah, it's always sort of sad when you return home and find all the worldly problems and concerns right where you left them....sigh. But hope reigns eternal that the next trip to Disney won't be too far off! :D

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Mar Thu 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Nice job Brian845. I remember seeing the pics from the link you sent. It really looks like you guys had a great time despite the setbacks caused by the weather. Nice to see you still had enough funds at the end of your trip to purchase a DVD player and a smartphone to make the return trip a little easier. We are normally tapped out of money on our way back!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Fri 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Wow Brian nice to see the conclusion to the trip. I have been VERY slow at looking at my pictures from our previous vacation. I may have looked at a handful of the thousands there are. My original plan was to be done over winter break. Then I pushed it back to spring break, and now it is just before the next time I go back. We had friends who did the drive back from Disney to central NJ and they drove straight through the night. I think it took them around 18 hours in all.
- Len90