Dining with an Imagineer?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Dining with an Imagineer?

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 2:12 pm

"I don't care if your wife is in labor, you will be having lunch with the Smiths!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:"I don't care if your wife is in labor, you will be having lunch with the Smiths!"
The Smiths are here and now; you'll be raising that kid for years and years to come... :wink: :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:17 pm

"I will also just give you a reminder that the job market in orlando is terrible and your house is worthless. So unless you have a new job already lined up or you have a huge bankroll you will be sitting there, eating your f**king individual cobb salad, and like it!"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:58 pm

mindflipper wrote:But after several lunches, answering the same questions over and over and over - I could see it becoming a drudgery...
I suspect they have a ton of Imagineers who do it and not just one or two.... and they rotate out. One Imagineer might only do two lunches a month, is what I'm guessing.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Okay, Wizz and Mindflipper... I need to step in here and set the record straight: it is considered an honor among the imagineers to do this! They love it! In fact, they almost fight over the privilege! Who wouldn't want to be treated like a God by a bunch of fawning sycophants for a day...??!! It gives them a chance to talk to the fans who make their jobs possible, and they love it! Only a select few are given the privilege, and it's considered a feather in their cap if they get offered a chance. So... move along, naysayers.... :evil: :wink: :lol:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Amy wrote:...Any other souvenirs involved beside the fancy nametag and champagne bath?!...
Well, you get the "warm fuzzies"... and the special memories... and the pride of knowing that you got to do something special that not everyone gets to do... what's all that worth? :wink: 8-)

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Soarin08 wrote: I suspect they have a ton of Imagineers who do it and not just one or two.... and they rotate out. One Imagineer might only do two lunches a month, is what I'm guessing.
Exactly... and like I said a couple posts ago... it's considered a privilege.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
Amy wrote:...Any other souvenirs involved beside the fancy nametag and champagne bath?!...
Well, you get the "warm fuzzies"... and the special memories... and the pride of knowing that you got to do something special that not everyone gets to do... what's all that worth? :wink: 8-)
Hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere that you got to keep the plate that had "Lunch with an Imagineer" on it. Am I dreaming that one?

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Amy wrote: Hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere that you got to keep the plate that had "Lunch with an Imagineer" on it. Am I dreaming that one?
Oh yeah!!! I can't believe I forgot about that! :shock: :oops:
They even autograph them for you! We have two of them in our collection of Disney paraphrenalia... thanks for reminding me! :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Okay, Wizz and Mindflipper... I need to step in here and set the record straight: it is considered an honor among the imagineers to do this! They love it! In fact, they almost fight over the privilege! Who wouldn't want to be treated like a God by a bunch of fawning sycophants for a day...??!! It gives them a chance to talk to the fans who make their jobs possible, and they love it! Only a select few are given the privilege, and it's considered a feather in their cap if they get offered a chance. So... move along, naysayers.... :evil: :wink: :lol:
So what you're saying is they are narcissists like Pixar's CEO and want, no, demand direct praise for doing what they are paid to do? I know some people that fit that category. :twisted:

A friend of mine at Blizzard has a similar experience to that since he goes to Blizzcon (their annual convention), the first half of the event was awesome, everyone worships you and when you walk in (since they go in before it opens), and you get swarmed by fans, etc.

After that he told everyone he worked in the kitchen and stopped wearing staff credentials at the future ones.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
Amy wrote: Hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere that you got to keep the plate that had "Lunch with an Imagineer" on it. Am I dreaming that one?
They even autograph them for you! We have two of them in our collection of Disney paraphrenalia... thanks for reminding me! :D
So it's a plate job, eh? :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
Ok, thought I was going nutso there for a moment. Couldn't figure out where the plate idea would have popped into my head though. I really think I might want to try this :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 01, 2011 7:55 pm

You know, we loved being able to talk to Imagineers during the expo. Especially in the Parks & Resorts Pavilion...
...and you never know, you could be talking to someone who could end up pretty high on the totem pole someday.

At the 2009 expo, we were talking to Kevin Rafferty about the Carsland project. Before the expo, I hadn't really heard his name around...but since then, I've even seen him on a Disney program on tv! And to think we had a casual conversation about an upcoming project with him! I think it's pretty cool!!!!

From whom we've talked to, it seems like the Imagineers are excited to converse with the people who appreciate their work! Especially since they are not usually considered a "guest interactive" role.

...this may have to go on the list for January!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 8:01 pm

MmeLeota wrote:You know, we loved being able to talk to Imagineers during the expo. Especially in the Parks & Resorts Pavilion...
...and you never know, you could be talking to someone who could end up pretty high on the totem pole someday.

At the 2009 expo, we were talking to Kevin Rafferty about the Carsland project. Before the expo, I hadn't really heard his name around...but since then, I've even seen him on a Disney program on tv! And to think we had a casual conversation about an upcoming project with him! I think it's pretty cool!!!!

From whom we've talked to, it seems like the Imagineers are excited to converse with the people who appreciate their work! Especially since they are not usually considered a "guest interactive" role.

...this may have to go on the list for January!
Right. Contrary to what Wizz would have us believe, they are not a bunch of narcissists. Meeting and interacting with the public is not what they get paid to do... it's an extra privilege that only some get to enjoy.
Wizz, don't you have some biscuits burning or something...? :wink: :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Whatever lifts your luggage, man...