Beware of Irene!!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Beware of Irene!!!

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Glad to hear that Len and his family are home safely!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Amy wrote:I just saw a post from Len on Facebook about 10 minutes ago. They are home safely but still without power :(
I charge my phone in the car when the power is out...there are ways of dealing with outages and technology, they just aren't as convenient is all...
Len Update: His power went on 2 minutes after arriving home!! he posted it on facebook!!!! With a little bit of imagination and pixie dust anything is possible!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 01, 2011 3:59 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:
Amy wrote:I just saw a post from Len on Facebook about 10 minutes ago. They are home safely but still without power :(
I charge my phone in the car when the power is out...there are ways of dealing with outages and technology, they just aren't as convenient is all...
Len Update: His power went on 2 minutes after arriving home!! he posted it on facebook!!!! With a little bit of imagination and pixie dust anything is possible!!!
Wow! How amazing! Two Subbers arrive home to find that they are without power, and within minutes of their return, both have power restored!
Hopefully there is no water damage to your home Len.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the concern guys. The iPhone was charged completely at the airport and kept off throughout the flight home. Our house ended up being the only one on the block to not have any water in the basement. We are extremely lucky for that.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Len90 wrote:Thanks for the concern guys. The iPhone was charged completely at the airport and kept off throughout the flight home. Our house ended up being the only one on the block to not have any water in the basement. We are extremely lucky for that.
:shock: Someone was watching out for you and your family!!!! What a miracle!!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2011 6:54 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:
Wow! How amazing! Two Subbers arrive home to find that they are without power, and within minutes of their return, both have power restored!
Hopefully there is no water damage to your home Len.
That is very cool isn't it?!
MmeLeota wrote:
Len90 wrote:Thanks for the concern guys. The iPhone was charged completely at the airport and kept off throughout the flight home. Our house ended up being the only one on the block to not have any water in the basement. We are extremely lucky for that.
:shock: Someone was watching out for you and your family!!!! What a miracle!!!!
Yay!!!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm telling you guys...!! It was all our prayers and pixie dust at work!!! So happy for you, Len!!! Hoping all gets back to normal A.S.A.P!
:ccat: :hatter_bounce: :goofy_bounce: :goofy: :donald: :nemo: :figment: :wave: :minnie: :mickey3: :mickey2:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Len90: Considering your utility hasn't had much past experience with post-hurricane damage and recovery, it sounds like they had very good turnaround time on restoring power. I'm very impressed...

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Welcome home Len and family!!!! :goofy_bounce: :hatter_bounce:

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Sep Mon 05, 2011 8:15 am

So my wife got an email from Continental reminding us to check in for our flight on Saturday (September 3rd). Apparently they automatically rebooked us after our flight was cancelled for a flight nearly a week later! Staying another week at Disney would have been nice, but I don't think I'd have enough vacation time left this year (nor enough money to afford the additional stay!). We called Continental up and informed them that since we'd been home for 5 days, we wouldn't be on the flight, and they kindly agreed to refund half the fare.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 05, 2011 9:02 am

Brian845 wrote:So my wife got an email from Continental reminding us to check in for our flight on Saturday (September 3rd). Apparently they automatically rebooked us after our flight was cancelled for a flight nearly a week later! Staying another week at Disney would have been nice, but I don't think I'd have enough vacation time left this year (nor enough money to afford the additional stay!). We called Continental up and informed them that since we'd been home for 5 days, we wouldn't be on the flight, and they kindly agreed to refund half the fare.
That's nice that you get some of the money back. Hopefully it is more than enough to cover the cost of the rental car that you had to drive home!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 05, 2011 10:36 am

Indeed, that's rare of an airline to be nice to give back a partial refund like that! I'm shocked! :shock:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Mon 05, 2011 11:26 am

I'm actually quite disappointed in Continental Airlines. I know some friends of ours were staying at the BC and had a flight with Continental on Sunday the 28th. Once their flight got cancelled they couldn't get through to the airline for days. Finally mid-week they were able to reach the airline and found out that they could fly the following weekend but they would all be flying different flights and connect through different cities. They ended up driving back. With jetBlue we were able to get everyone on the Thursday morning flight and never had an issue with contacting them. They always took calls during the storm and the longest hold time I ever expereienced was 25 minutes. They were waiving all fees and if you saw a seat open up earlier to just book it and then call 1-800-jet-blue and they will refund you the money. Secondly, if you chose to find another way home they were refunding you 100% of what you had originally paid for your airfare. My point, I'd call Continental and fight for the rest of your money.

As for the additional stay, Disney was amazing at working to accommodate all of their guests. Did you happen to take out the Disney trip insurance? We did and appearantly it will cover up to a certain amount of dollars per person for hotel stay as a result of the interruption from the hurricane.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Yep, I've learned to get trip insurance no matter what. You never know what will come out of the blue to ruin things...

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Mon 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Len90 wrote:I'm actually quite disappointed in Continental Airlines. I know some friends of ours were staying at the BC and had a flight with Continental on Sunday the 28th. Once their flight got cancelled they couldn't get through to the airline for days. Finally mid-week they were able to reach the airline and found out that they could fly the following weekend but they would all be flying different flights and connect through different cities. They ended up driving back. With jetBlue we were able to get everyone on the Thursday morning flight and never had an issue with contacting them. They always took calls during the storm and the longest hold time I ever expereienced was 25 minutes. They were waiving all fees and if you saw a seat open up earlier to just book it and then call 1-800-jet-blue and they will refund you the money. Secondly, if you chose to find another way home they were refunding you 100% of what you had originally paid for your airfare. My point, I'd call Continental and fight for the rest of your money.

As for the additional stay, Disney was amazing at working to accommodate all of their guests. Did you happen to take out the Disney trip insurance? We did and appearantly it will cover up to a certain amount of dollars per person for hotel stay as a result of the interruption from the hurricane.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I have to stand up and defend Continental. They are a huge airline compared to Jetblue, so obviously they would have more limitations than Jetblue would have, strictly based on logistics... I mean, can you imagine how many flights they have to work out compared to Jetblue..?? It's not even a close comparison!!! So I would cut Continental some slack, if I were you. They've always done well by us, and we've never had any complaints... and my sweetie has traveled all over the world with them...literally. I don't think Jetblue can say the same. No offense to anyone, I just think we need to be fair in our judgements of the airlines based on the scope of their operations... :D