Beware of Irene!!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Beware of Irene!!!

Post by mindflipper » Aug Mon 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Len90 wrote:They have not taken any phone calls since the storm happened and are only using their automated outage reporting number.
Believe or not, that is suppose to be standard protocol in this situation. They know the electricity is down. Once they have restored most of service, then they start taking calls to find the "gaps" they have not been restored.

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 7:28 am

We just got back from our trip to Disneyworld late Monday night. We were schedule to fly back to Newark on Sunday, but of course our flight was cancelled. Rather than sit in the airport for a couple of days, wondering when we would get on a flight, we decided to rent a car and drive home instead. We left Sunday around noon (we still took the Magical Express to the airport to pickup the car), and made it home around 11PM on Monday to our home in upstate NY (about an hour from the city). There were lots of detours due to roads being washed out, but our house was just fine. Delightfully, our electricity came back on about 15 minutes after we got home.

It was a great trip! I'll have to work on the trip report some day.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Wed 31, 2011 7:36 am

Brian845 wrote:We just got back from our trip to Disneyworld late Monday night. We were schedule to fly back to Newark on Sunday, but of course our flight was cancelled. Rather than sit in the airport for a couple of days, wondering when we would get on a flight, we decided to rent a car and drive home instead. We left Sunday around noon (we still took the Magical Express to the airport to pickup the car), and made it home around 11PM on Monday to our home in upstate NY (about an hour from the city). There were lots of detours due to roads being washed out, but our house was just fine. Delightfully, our electricity came back on about 15 minutes after we got home.

Glad to hear everything is OK---I look forward to the report!! With pics I hope!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 31, 2011 7:48 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
Brian845 wrote:We just got back from our trip to Disneyworld late Monday night. We were schedule to fly back to Newark on Sunday, but of course our flight was cancelled. Rather than sit in the airport for a couple of days, wondering when we would get on a flight, we decided to rent a car and drive home instead. We left Sunday around noon (we still took the Magical Express to the airport to pickup the car), and made it home around 11PM on Monday to our home in upstate NY (about an hour from the city). There were lots of detours due to roads being washed out, but our house was just fine. Delightfully, our electricity came back on about 15 minutes after we got home.

Glad to hear everything is OK---I look forward to the report!! With pics I hope!!!
Wow ~ what an end to your vacation! That's awesome that everything was ok at your house and the power came on right on cue when you got home!
No rush, but also looking forward to the report with lots of pictures :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 8:04 am

Wow we were in Disney World together and never crossed paths? Glad to hear you made it back safely. I know another family which lives near me drove back two days ago since Continental was flying them out on the weekend. Alamo wasn't too happy about the idea of us driving the car back since they were quoting a price of $3,000!!!

Consider yourself very lucky that your electricity got restored so soon. My house still has no power and my power company refuses to call in additional contractors or neighboring companies. They are a part of a larger company called First Energy so all they did was move a few crews around. :x
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 31, 2011 9:16 am

Len90 wrote:Consider yourself very lucky that your electricity got restored so soon. My house still has no power and my power company refuses to call in additional contractors or neighboring companies. They are a part of a larger company called First Energy so all they did was move a few crews around. :x
Really? That makes no sense to me. Any additional contractors or mutual aid support from other utilities may be cash outflow at first, but its pretty much guaranteed to be reimbursed by FEMA as it is a cost above and beyond normal operations for the post-storm/disaster recovery.

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 9:26 am

Len90 wrote:

Wow we were in Disney World together and never crossed paths? Glad to hear you made it back safely. I know another family which lives near me drove back two days ago since Continental was flying them out on the weekend. Alamo wasn't too happy about the idea of us driving the car back since they were quoting a price of $3,000!!!

Consider yourself very lucky that your electricity got restored so soon. My house still has no power and my power company refuses to call in additional contractors or neighboring companies. They are a part of a larger company called First Energy so all they did was move a few crews around. :x
Yep, we were there at the same time:). I considered trying to find you, but I figured you had your own park agenda that wouldn't necessarily jibe with our plans. I did look for packwingfm at the Tiki Room, but that was my only attempt to find a Subsonic member.

We saw many convoys of power company trucks, tree service trucks, and cleaning companies (ServPro and ServiceMaster) headed north on our drive back home. I don't think our power was off that long since the food in the freezer was still frozen solid. We saw the power truck out shining a light on the power lines on our cross street as we were getting home, so I knew that was a good sign.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 31, 2011 10:05 am

Brian845 wrote:...Yep, we were there at the same time:). I considered trying to find you, but I figured you had your own park agenda that wouldn't necessarily jibe with our plans. I did look for packwingfm at the Tiki Room, but that was my only attempt to find a Subsonic member....
Did you find packwingfan then?

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Amy wrote:
Brian845 wrote:...Yep, we were there at the same time:). I considered trying to find you, but I figured you had your own park agenda that wouldn't necessarily jibe with our plans. I did look for packwingfm at the Tiki Room, but that was my only attempt to find a Subsonic member....
No, I didn't really know what he looked like, despite watching videos of the Tiki Room reopening. I should have asked him in advance:). Another trip!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Wed 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Amy wrote:
I DID!!!! One of the most energetic CMs you'll ever meet and he really makes any of the attractions he is working.

So I've finally been getting through to our power company and they are claiming they now have brought in additional mutual aid (kind of nice of them to wait so long). Still no power by my house and I am really hoping it is on by the time we get home tomorrow afternoon.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Brian845 wrote:
Amy wrote:
No, I didn't really know what he looked like, despite watching videos of the Tiki Room reopening. I should have asked him in advance:). Another trip!
Bummer :(
Len90 wrote:I DID!!!! One of the most energetic CMs you'll ever meet and he really makes any of the attractions he is working.

So I've finally been getting through to our power company and they are claiming they now have brought in additional mutual aid (kind of nice of them to wait so long). Still no power by my house and I am really hoping it is on by the time we get home tomorrow afternoon.
Awesome! He seems like a high-energy sort of person :D
Good luck on the power too ~ hopefully they will have it sorted out by the time you get home!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Thu 01, 2011 10:52 am

Glad you and your family made it home safely Brian!

Hang in there Len! Are you guys still in Disney?

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Thu 01, 2011 11:16 am

Sorry about all your trouble, Len. We here in "Hurricane Alley" know exactly how you feel. After Ike, we were without power for about a week, and some of my coworkers were without power for two weeks! The worst part was, our power went out during the storm and then came back on the next day after the storm was already gone for like... 12 hours or so, then it went out again, and stayed out! When we called to find out why, the power company kept insisting that it was on, and that the problem must have been on "our side" of the transformer! We told them "how can that be the case when the entire city block around us has no power either?" They couldn't answer that, of course, but kept insisting that their system showed the power to be on in our area. It took them 3 days to admit that they were wrong, and then another 4 days to get out here and fix it.
But considering that Houston is the 3rd largest city in the U.S., and considering that we only got side-swiped by Ike whereas Galveston was devastated, we had to appreciate that we were only out for a week. We're talking 5 or 6 million people being affected.... So my heart goes out to you, buddy. Pixie dust....
By the way, I'll almost bet that Rutgers hasn't started classes yet, have they?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Considering he's posting by iphone - if his power is still out when he gets home today, I hope he charged that iphone before he left Orlando...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2011 12:48 pm

I just saw a post from Len on Facebook about 10 minutes ago. They are home safely but still without power :(
I charge my phone in the car when the power is out...there are ways of dealing with outages and technology, they just aren't as convenient is all...