WDW 2011-07-04 Fireworks at MK

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

WDW 2011-07-04 Fireworks at MK

Post by horizons1 » Jul Mon 18, 2011 8:24 pm

I went to MK on the 4th of July and, knowing it was going to be crowded, was interested to see how they would handle the fireworks show. Very interesting. First, they opened up the backstage area between Main Street and Tomorrowland. Not only was it open, but they put some ODV carts and balloon people in to hawk merchandise to the people sitting on asphalt waiting for the sun to go down.

View from Tomorrowland out toward where the theater used to be (current Buzz Lightyear meet & greet)

Next, someone told me that if Main Street was too crowded (which of course it was) that they were doing a "mirror" show over the Seven Seas Lagoon. So I headed over to Poly to watch from the beach. Sure enough, all the aerial fireworks were shot off both from behind the castle and also from the island in the middle of the lagoon, simultaneously. Double fireworks!

To cap off the evening, the Poly guests were treated to an extra dose of patriotism with the flag floats illuminated from the Electric Water Pageant. Nice touch!

No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: WDW 2011-07-04 Fireworks at MK

Post by Len90 » Jul Mon 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I always love the 4th of July shows at Disney World. I'm kind of surprised that they opened up the back so early. In the past few years that was just for helping get the masses moved. How was the 360 part of the show from Poly?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jul Mon 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm surprised backstage was open. The only time I recall them using it for guests was Christmas 2008 when they ushered those of us (my family included) not interested in viewing the holiday Wishes out of the park. But I'm kind of against guests being back there anyways unless it's an emergency, it really does deflate some of the magic. :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Actually, I've been through the back area and it wasn't even a holiday. Sometimes they use it if the crowds waiting for the parade on Main Street are just too large...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 18, 2011 9:34 pm

horizons1 wrote:Next, someone told me that if Main Street was too crowded (which of course it was) that they were doing a "mirror" show over the Seven Seas Lagoon. So I headed over to Poly to watch from the beach. Sure enough, all the aerial fireworks were shot off both from behind the castle and also from the island in the middle of the lagoon, simultaneously. Double fireworks!

To cap off the evening, the Poly guests were treated to an extra dose of patriotism with the flag floats illuminated from the Electric Water Pageant. Nice touch!
How great that someone tipped you off to the double/mirror fireworks. Probably was a whole heck of a lot less crowded and more enjoyable watching from the Poly.
Love that last firework shot :D
How were the actual crowds in the park that day? Did you go to the MK during the day or just for the fireworks?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 18, 2011 10:41 pm

I didn't realize they did a mirror firework show?! B-dude and I watched it on YouTube, someone posted it almost immediately after it ended! We were super impressed. No one does fireworks like Disney!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Thu 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Len90 wrote:I always love the 4th of July shows at Disney World. I'm kind of surprised that they opened up the back so early. In the past few years that was just for helping get the masses moved. How was the 360 part of the show from Poly?
I have seen a few of the "360" shows from the Poly shore. You miss the surround aspect, but it is pretty spectacular seeing all the fireworks go off in a row - like wide screen!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Thu 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Amy wrote:How were the actual crowds in the park that day? Did you go to the MK during the day or just for the fireworks?
I was only there for the evening (flew in for work the next day) so I was not expecting it to be easy to ride anything. I went to Epcot first, and that was pretty crazy. MK was very crowded on Main Street but the rest of the park seemed about normal for a busy day.