Main Street Electrical parade - trip planning

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

icpscientist
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Re: Main Street Electrical parade - trip planning

Post by icpscientist » Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:39 am

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:and weather may alter the schedules as well, so you may want to avoid summer since that is the rainy season.
In all honesty weather has never been an issue with me and I've been there in the summer time for most of my stays. The rains are usually in the afternoon and the night is dry for the most part. I've only once had major rains at 9:00 but I was in EPCOT and they still set off Illuminations as scheduled. Weather does affect the parades but those with show stops or shows that involve dancing are affected by wet grounds as well.
Sorry, Len90, but you're a bit "WDW-centric" in your thinking. As the question was concerning the idea of MSEP returning to either Disneyland parks in Anahiem, CA, Wizz's statement was focusing on the weather at Disneyland, not at Disney World. If it rains in the evening, then Disneyland does shut down the electrical parade, fireworks, fantasmic and I would presume the World of Color.
We were at DL for the first time in about 6 years this past Memorial Day weekend. The fireworks were canceled both Sat and Sun nights due to wind. The kids were disappointed, but it gave us a really good excuse to try to plan another visit. Like we really needed one anyway...

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:53 am

LOL! I forgot the winds! I had that happen on one of the nights on long-ago trip - Fantasmic and the fireworks got cancelled due to wind, but not the MSEP.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Yep, no park is immune to weather constraints. I'm actually not sure about WoC though, rain isn't a factor (since it's all water anyway) but they may nix the warm up act since those are puppets and people.

Wind... I'm actually not sure if they care about that for world of color, I know some attractions on the bay will be shut down if the winds go over a pre-determined speed.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 2:14 pm

For Fantasmic, the wind can affect the "water screens" on which images are projected. I would presume the same would apply to the WoC water screens.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 6:48 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:and weather may alter the schedules as well, so you may want to avoid summer since that is the rainy season.
In all honesty weather has never been an issue with me and I've been there in the summer time for most of my stays. The rains are usually in the afternoon and the night is dry for the most part. I've only once had major rains at 9:00 but I was in EPCOT and they still set off Illuminations as scheduled. Weather does affect the parades but those with show stops or shows that involve dancing are affected by wet grounds as well.
Sorry, Len90, but you're a bit "WDW-centric" in your thinking. As the question was concerning the idea of MSEP returning to either Disneyland parks in Anahiem, CA, Wizz's statement was focusing on the weather at Disneyland, not at Disney World. If it rains in the evening, then Disneyland does shut down the electrical parade, fireworks, fantasmic and I would presume the World of Color.
I guess we both took that differently. Both you and wizz were pointing out the factors that the operating schedule does not take into account. My original operating schedule idea was for WDW and wizz did mention that summer is the rainy season which is VERY true of WDW. wizz did not mention any specific parks in his reply so I'm not sure where you got that... I guess you truly are a mind flipper and mind reader.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Mon 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Florida usually have afternoon thunderstorms that can hit from 3 PM to 6 PM, but in many cases it doesn't hang around through the night...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:18 am

mindflipper wrote:Florida usually have afternoon thunderstorms that can hit from 3 PM to 6 PM, but in many cases it doesn't hang around through the night...
Unless there is some sort of tropical system/hurricane sitting in the Gulf feeding t-storms through Florida. I think that is what killed us last year during the last couple of days.

I will say that at least 95% of the time in Florida the parade will go off at night. The afternoon parades do get quite risky but somehow they manage to get the parade off most of the time.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Tue 21, 2011 8:53 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Florida usually have afternoon thunderstorms that can hit from 3 PM to 6 PM, but in many cases it doesn't hang around through the night...
Unless there is some sort of tropical system/hurricane sitting in the Gulf feeding t-storms through Florida. I think that is what killed us last year during the last couple of days.

I will say that at least 95% of the time in Florida the parade will go off at night. The afternoon parades do get quite risky but somehow they manage to get the parade off most of the time.
True, tropical depressions/storms and hurricanes can wreak havoc in the summer months for tourists. There have been a few that have crossed through Florida passing Orlando in its way...