Very First SOLO Trip... aka Official Vacation 7

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Very First SOLO Trip... aka Official Vacation 7

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Tue 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Let's put it this way, after the 16th of September, a piece of my life is going to be smooshed.
Hopefully it won't be for long... :wink:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 13, 2011 10:10 pm

thatdarncat wrote:dang soarin..... just got back a couple days ago. went down for a couple days and spent some time at the wilderness lodge villas. nice when the park is so quiet. except no one told me about stroller week....!!!
every third pair of people had a stroller in tow and two little ones besides! have been to the park three times in the last year. hope to go once more this fall. kinda off topic but reservations to hoop de doo review... (called something else now) and the ppoly show could be gotten right up to show time.
Wait a sec...when it is NOT "stroller week" at a WDW theme park?!? :? :?: :mickey:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Tue 13, 2011 10:25 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Let's put it this way, after the 16th of September, a piece of my life is going to be smooshed.
I actually have news/hope regarding that, I'll fill you guys in during the report. MmeLeota, if I'd have known my flight was going to be delayed so long on my layover in your area, I'd have seen if you weren't busy and wanted to come out and put a face with the person who booked your room for you. :) We were supposed to leave at 6.05pm but didn't leave till 6.45pm... that gave me 1.5 hours there instead of the 50 minutes like I was supposed to have. I'm sitting in the SLC airport right now waiting for my shuttle so I think I'm gonna open up a Word document and get to typing. I'm going to start with this weekend. Didn't take many pics 'cos my camera is acting up but I got some of the Halloween decor and I have a glowing review of Captain's Grille especially for mindflipper (with food pics!) as well. :mickey:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 8:40 am

Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
I actually have news/hope regarding that, I'll fill you guys in during the report. MmeLeota, if I'd have known my flight was going to be delayed so long on my layover in your area, I'd have seen if you weren't busy and wanted to come out and put a face with the person who booked your room for you. :) We were supposed to leave at 6.05pm but didn't leave till 6.45pm... that gave me 1.5 hours there instead of the 50 minutes like I was supposed to have. I'm sitting in the SLC airport right now waiting for my shuttle so I think I'm gonna open up a Word document and get to typing. I'm going to start with this weekend. Didn't take many pics 'cos my camera is acting up but I got some of the Halloween decor and I have a glowing review of Captain's Grille especially for mindflipper (with food pics!) as well. :mickey:
I've had Halloween decor pictures sitting on my computer that I wanted to post but have been so busy. Looks like you've made more progress than me with actually starting your typing for the trip report. Glad to hear you loved Captain's Grill for dinner. I have nothing but good things to say about it's breakfast.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
BUMMER!!!! :( I wish you had! Well, definitely let me know if you're in the area again...if that doesn't work out, there's always January! :D

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Well my layover as originally only supposed to be 50 minutes so I figured I'd have time to grab some food and then head to the gate... I ended up sitting at the gate for over an hour! :( I don't know why the flight was so late, the weather was absolutely lovely, unless there was a plane issue.

I made it back at 3am and the shuttle driver was kind enough to drop me right at my apartment instead of down by the stadium where it usually does... what a relief not to have to hike across campus at night! I did skip my first class at 9am because I was just flat-out exhausted. I've been to all the others thus far though. :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Well my layover as originally only supposed to be 50 minutes so I figured I'd have time to grab some food and then head to the gate... I ended up sitting at the gate for over an hour! :( I don't know why the flight was so late, the weather was absolutely lovely, unless there was a plane issue.

I made it back at 3am and the shuttle driver was kind enough to drop me right at my apartment instead of down by the stadium where it usually does... what a relief not to have to hike across campus at night! I did skip my first class at 9am because I was just flat-out exhausted. I've been to all the others thus far though. :)
Glad you made it back to campus safely. I don't blame you for skipping the early class, you were up late!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 1:25 am

I went to all the other classes though, and here I sit catching up on homework... my French professor was kind enough to let me do all the assignments without penalty for tomorrow so I'm finishing them now. This is also the same professor that's going to let me do a semester project on Disneyland Paris as part of our cultural studies. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I can finish day one of this weekend's trip before I head to bed in a bit.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 1:36 am

Here's the boring but essential first day... it's travelling stuff but hey, you guys might like to read it anyways. :mickey:

9 September 2011

First off, this is the boring entry- yes, sorry, but I have to cover it all! My flight from SLC was scheduled to leave at 11.50am, but for me to get to the airport from here in Idaho, I have two options- drive down and pay $7/day for economy parking and around $100 roundtrip for gas or take the Salt Lake Express shuttle directly from BYU Idaho down and back up to school for $95 roundtrip. I opted for the shuttle like last trip and the one I needed to get me to the airport in time left at 5am- yes, 5am!!! I had to get up at 4.15am to get ready and I’d only slept about four hours because my new roommate kept me up moving in… but that was okay, I dozed on the shuttle down. I had a dreadful headache from lack of sleep and even massive doses of caffeine weren’t helping, ack! :cry:

The line for baggage check and security was awful, which wasn’t too surprising on a Friday at 9.45am, so I’m glad I arrived with plenty of time to spare before my flight left two hours later. I love how bags fly free on Southwest, by the way- saves me money, that’s for sure! I spent the time before my flight left just chilling on the Mac- I think I even made a post or two on Sub!

I had a long layover in Albuquerque, so I kept up my tradition of buying a t-shirt each time I go someplace new before finding my gate. After I found the gate to my connecting flight, I went over to charge my computer and check my email. This is when I got the email about the professional internship interview- I was freaking out and the lady across from me was on the phone and she said “This young lady next to me is certainly excited and I don’t know why but I’m happy for her, whatever it is!” Of course I apologised for my freak-out afterwards but everyone around me congratulated me even though they had no clue who I was. Always makes you feel good, you know? :mrgreen:

The flight from Albuquerque to Orlando was HORRID, but maybe that’s ‘cos I had a headache and being up at what, 40K feet was screwing with my head. Also, we left 30 minutes late, so a good many of us were slightly POed, but we got over that when the pilot came out and gave a very moving tribute to those who died on 9/11- we were cheering at the end of it. I felt nauseated the whole time and my ears were plugged up- even the gum I brought wasn’t helping. I did have two very nice seatmates I chatted with some, two guys, so that made time pass by pretty well. That always makes me happy too, people on flights I can talk to for the duration, or maybe I just like to talk too much as it is! :wink:

We ended up arriving at MCO 20 minutes EARLY, which I suppose was due to the decent weather, even though we left late. Now, let me say this- I DESPISE MCO’s baggage claim. I mean it. It took me 45 MINUTES to claim my bag, and it wasn’t even lost- they’re just ridiculously slow! Southwest lands at terminal A but DME’s welcome desk is in terminal B, so thus began the long hike over there. My opinion, they need a DME check-in in both terminals since a good chunk of us Western guests fly Southwest to Orlando, but that’s just me. Plus, it was 9.45pm and I was ready to get to the resort and sleep!

Finally made the Magical Express by around 10pm and the trip barely took 30 minutes- there wasn’t much traffic that time of night so we arrived at All Star Movies pretty quickly. Then check-in there was a pain- I’m sorry, two CMs for about 30 guests? No. That’s just… NO! Not at 10.30pm! It took till past 11pm for me to get checked in, so then I ditched my bags in the room and went to the food court to find my surrogate mom, who works in food service there (her husband works next door at Music; they were my trainers at Saratoga and they consider me their child since they never were able to have kids of their own). Then I ate dinner then collapsed in the bed… I told you this was a boring day but I didn’t feel right leaving it out!!

Wait till I post about the next day…. I think you can guess where THAT is headed before I even say anything at all!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 15, 2011 8:14 am

Soarin08 wrote:I went to all the other classes though, and here I sit catching up on homework... my French professor was kind enough to let me do all the assignments without penalty for tomorrow so I'm finishing them now. This is also the same professor that's going to let me do a semester project on Disneyland Paris as part of our cultural studies. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I can finish day one of this weekend's trip before I head to bed in a bit.
Sounds like you have a very nice French prof! I wonder if you will have to take a trip to DLP in order to complete your semester project properly?! ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 15, 2011 8:22 am

Soarin08 wrote:....I had to get up at 4.15am to get ready and I’d only slept about four hours because my new roommate kept me up moving in…
I hope your new roommate wasn't complaining about you waking her up at 4:15?! ;)
Soarin'08 wrote:...I went over to charge my computer and check my email. This is when I got the email about the professional internship interview- I was freaking out and the lady across from me was on the phone and she said “This young lady next to me is certainly excited and I don’t know why but I’m happy for her, whatever it is!” Of course I apologised for my freak-out afterwards but everyone around me congratulated me even though they had no clue who I was. Always makes you feel good, you know? :mrgreen:
That's funny! And nice :D
Soarin'08 wrote:...I did have two very nice seatmates I chatted with some, two guys, so that made time pass by pretty well. That always makes me happy too, people on flights I can talk to for the duration, or maybe I just like to talk too much as it is! :wink:
You talk? A lot? No :shock: ;) :lol:
Soarin'08 wrote:We ended up arriving at MCO 20 minutes EARLY, which I suppose was due to the decent weather, even though we left late. Now, let me say this- I DESPISE MCO’s baggage claim. I mean it. It took me 45 MINUTES to claim my bag, and it wasn’t even lost- they’re just ridiculously slow! Southwest lands at terminal A but DME’s welcome desk is in terminal B, so thus began the long hike over there. My opinion, they need a DME check-in in both terminals since a good chunk of us Western guests fly Southwest to Orlando, but that’s just me. Plus, it was 9.45pm and I was ready to get to the resort and sleep!
Why didn't you just tag your luggage? It is part of DME correct? Or did you not get your DME baggage tags since this was your last-minute-whirlwind-back-to-the-mouse trip?

I agree that the resorts should be more prepared for the big influx of guests in the evenings. Everyone is tired and any wait seems longer than necessary. That is awesome that you have "family" down there. It is always nice to see a familiar face when you are away!

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Amy wrote: Sounds like you have a very nice French prof! I wonder if you will have to take a trip to DLP in order to complete your semester project properly?! ;)
If I got to take a trip to DLP I'd die. I'd love to go over there; have I mentioned how I'm going to try to work there in 2013? Apparently I can do an 8 month internship there, they allow Americans to come over kind of like the CP.
Amy wrote: I hope your new roommate wasn't complaining about you waking her up at 4:15?! ;)
She didn't even notice!!! :lol:
Amy wrote:
Why didn't you just tag your luggage? It is part of DME correct? Or did you not get your DME baggage tags since this was your last-minute-whirlwind-back-to-the-mouse trip?

I agree that the resorts should be more prepared for the big influx of guests in the evenings. Everyone is tired and any wait seems longer than necessary. That is awesome that you have "family" down there. It is always nice to see a familiar face when you are away!

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report!
I booked nine days out and it said online anything booked prior to the ten day mark, you wouldn't receive the tags so you'd have to give them the confirmation number for the resort reservation at the welcome desk. Which worked out fine, they gave me my voucher and I got right on the bus after about a ten minute wait.

What makes it worse though is the ENTIRE party gets in line to check in so that makes it seem even longer... sorry, if you have to stop the check-in process every five seconds to shut your kid up, you need to send one person through to check in only to expedite the process. It's so annoying!

I'll be adding day two this evening, I'm working on it now! :)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Wow that is a very long and intense travel day. Kind of sucks that you lost out on the whole day in Disney due to traveling and I'm sure the headache was magnified by the tensions of flying and trying to get where you need to be. I too have major issues with MCO's baggage claim. I think the major issue is that the luggage has to be brought back to the main terminal building and they wait until every piece is unloaded from the plane before they cart it over. We had about a 30 minute wait using jetBlue this year.

As for the two people to check-in at 10:30, that is crazy. I have a feeling they were either short-staffed or had made a scheduling error. Never heard of two people at a desk at that hour. Y/B will have 2 on the desk at around midnight and will go down to 1 during the overnight hours.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Well I had thought about leaving the 8th but I had to be here at the uni for move-in day to meet my new roommates. It wasn't too big of a deal I lost a day, I had three more to make up for that so it didn't bother me too much. I'm just glad I was able to even get the last-minute trip in before classes began once again, as I won't be back until Christmas or sometimes after. :(

Honestly, the All Stars are horrible with check-in, I found that out the last two times I've stayed/checked friends in there. Pop does a MUCH better job but I couldn't get it booked for last weekend, unfortunately. Actually the All Stars are horrible with most everything (they have the WORST bus service off ALL the resorts and I've ridden the resort busses to every resort for one thing or another), which is why I'd only stay there if Pop wasn't available and I couldn't afford to spring for a moderate. Caribbean Beach was available for that one night for $95, I should have just said to heck with it and paid the extra $45 and stayed there! :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Well I had thought about leaving the 8th but I had to be here at the uni for move-in day to meet my new roommates. It wasn't too big of a deal I lost a day, I had three more to make up for that so it didn't bother me too much. I'm just glad I was able to even get the last-minute trip in before classes began once again, as I won't be back until Christmas or sometimes after. :(

Honestly, the All Stars are horrible with check-in, I found that out the last two times I've stayed/checked friends in there. Pop does a MUCH better job but I couldn't get it booked for last weekend, unfortunately. Actually the All Stars are horrible with most everything (they have the WORST bus service off ALL the resorts and I've ridden the resort busses to every resort for one thing or another), which is why I'd only stay there if Pop wasn't available and I couldn't afford to spring for a moderate. Caribbean Beach was available for that one night for $95, I should have just said to heck with it and paid the extra $45 and stayed there! :roll:
We've found the bus service to be pretty good at the All Stars. Each All Star (Sports, Music and Movies) has their own buses so you don't have to make multiple stops. Other than waiting during some peak times, we never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus, and usually it was only a few minutes. Guess we've been lucky :D