Very First SOLO Trip... aka Official Vacation 7

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Re: Very First SOLO Trip... aka Official Vacation 7

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Well I had thought about leaving the 8th but I had to be here at the uni for move-in day to meet my new roommates. It wasn't too big of a deal I lost a day, I had three more to make up for that so it didn't bother me too much. I'm just glad I was able to even get the last-minute trip in before classes began once again, as I won't be back until Christmas or sometimes after. :(

Honestly, the All Stars are horrible with check-in, I found that out the last two times I've stayed/checked friends in there. Pop does a MUCH better job but I couldn't get it booked for last weekend, unfortunately. Actually the All Stars are horrible with most everything (they have the WORST bus service off ALL the resorts and I've ridden the resort busses to every resort for one thing or another), which is why I'd only stay there if Pop wasn't available and I couldn't afford to spring for a moderate. Caribbean Beach was available for that one night for $95, I should have just said to heck with it and paid the extra $45 and stayed there! :roll:
We've found the bus service to be pretty good at the All Stars. Each All Star (Sports, Music and Movies) has their own buses so you don't have to make multiple stops. Other than waiting during some peak times, we never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus, and usually it was only a few minutes. Guess we've been lucky :D
Only at MK does that happen. At Epcot, DHS, DAK, and Downtown, they share the route. Which is a nightmare after closing. Four Pop busses came by in the 30 MINUTES it took for the All Stars bus to arrive at DTD, and this was on a night when barely anyone was there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Well I had thought about leaving the 8th but I had to be here at the uni for move-in day to meet my new roommates. It wasn't too big of a deal I lost a day, I had three more to make up for that so it didn't bother me too much. I'm just glad I was able to even get the last-minute trip in before classes began once again, as I won't be back until Christmas or sometimes after. :(

Honestly, the All Stars are horrible with check-in, I found that out the last two times I've stayed/checked friends in there. Pop does a MUCH better job but I couldn't get it booked for last weekend, unfortunately. Actually the All Stars are horrible with most everything (they have the WORST bus service off ALL the resorts and I've ridden the resort busses to every resort for one thing or another), which is why I'd only stay there if Pop wasn't available and I couldn't afford to spring for a moderate. Caribbean Beach was available for that one night for $95, I should have just said to heck with it and paid the extra $45 and stayed there! :roll:
We've found the bus service to be pretty good at the All Stars. Each All Star (Sports, Music and Movies) has their own buses so you don't have to make multiple stops. Other than waiting during some peak times, we never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus, and usually it was only a few minutes. Guess we've been lucky :D
Only at MK does that happen. At Epcot, DHS, DAK, and Downtown, they share the route. Which is a nightmare after closing. Four Pop busses came by in the 30 MINUTES it took for the All Stars bus to arrive at DTD, and this was on a night when barely anyone was there.
DTD Disney was by far, the worst place to have to catch a bus. I just don't think they service DTD the way they do the parks...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Fri 16, 2011 12:52 pm

I rarely go to DTD as it is but yeah, bad bus service. I only went because I was looking for a Perry the Platypus for my brother's birthday and there were none to be found in the parks.

At the CP recruiting booth now but hoping to post installment two tonight!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Here's part two! Finally finished it this afternoon. :D

10 September 2011

I ended up sleeping in pretty late at the resort, as I had my friends coming to pick me up at a bit after 11am once I checked out- we were planning to go to lunch before two of them went off to work and I went on to Epcot, so I wasn’t in a huge hurry to get going, seeing as I didn’t think I’d get to the park till around 1.30pm or so. I enjoyed a nice lunch with my former coworkers from Saratoga and then the one who is still at Saratoga in culinary, the girl I refer to as my unbiological sister, dropped me off at Epcot. I felt like it would be best for me to be alone there, seeing as the precise location I was heading. :wink:

I didn’t even tell anyone I was coming down short of the friends I stayed with- it was too last-minute, plus I was curious how everyone would react to seeing me just show up out of the blue (mostly a certain Mr. Brit, if you get what I’m saying). I doubted there’d be any adverse reactions, of course, but still. I decided to keep the element of surprise.

After I got to looking decent (aka, made my hair look good and touched up my makeup), I headed back to the UK pavilion to see who I could find. Being a Saturday, I knew Mr. Brit would definitely be there (he’s off on Thursdays/Fridays) as well as my other guy friend from Scotland (let’s dub him Mr. Scot, as he has a weird first name himself that doesn’t allow him to be anonymous either, but the curious can ask me and I’ll tell). I can’t even tell you all how nervous I was as I walked back there- I was literally shaking! I was worried in the back of my mind that maybe, just maybe no one would be too welcoming at seeing me back a month later, but I got that thought out of my head pretty quickly- I’ve gotten so close with the cast in the UK pavilion that they all sort of expect it by now and seem to enjoy talking to an American who actually knows something about the culture of the country and doesn’t make dumb you-know-what stereotypical comments. :roll:

I walked into the pavilion and guess what- no, who- the VERY first thing I saw was, working at the outdoor merchandise cart. Yep, you got it- my favourite English cast member. :mrgreen: I didn’t go up to him immediately though, as he was with a guest, so I poked my head in the other shops to see who was around- I spotted Mr. Scot in the Sportsman’s Shoppe (his favourite) but didn’t go in just yet, I had to see someone else first after all! So I went back over to the merchandise cart and he was still there, but his back was to me and he didn’t see me, so I called out his name to get his attention. I’m not lying when I say that the look on his face when he turned around and saw me was one I’ve never seen before when anyone has seen me- he was clearly surprised but also just as happy to see me as I was to see him! There were a bunch of guests clustered around as well as another cast member but that didn’t stop him from literally grabbing me and giving me the biggest hug on the planet (and he gives the best hugs, too, the really long and really tight kind). Of course there was the question of why I didn’t inform him I was coming down but I told him I wanted to see how he’d react to me just showing up- I now know his reaction is quite ecstatic! :mrgreen:

This is also where a bit of good news regarding him comes into play- he told me he was supposed to have left the 14th but apparently reps from Twinings over in London are coming to the pavilion before the end of the month and want to meet with him, so he has to stay an extra two weeks for that. He has no clue what they want to talk to him about so I guess I’ll know soon enough- he did that Twinings tea garden tour during Flower and Garden so maybe that’s why they singled him out, I have no idea. :? Also received a genuinely excited response when I told him about having the interview for the internship what was now a few days ago, most excited out of everyone I’ve told in person at that!

Went in the other shops and talked to my Scottish friend for a bit before heading up front to ride Journey Into Imagination, Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth. I can’t skip those three no matter what! Journey Into Imagination is the favourite ride of me and my best friend aka hockeygirl so I always ride it multiple times. I called hockeygirl on the ride to let her listen to the audio and we ended up talking for a bit before I went to ride Living with the Land. The kid behind me wouldn’t shut up the entire ride and the parents were of course oblivious, don’t you just hate that???? :x

Spaceship Earth is a must-do regardless for me at Epcot- it’s been guaranteed since the last CP that when I’m at Epcot, SSE and the UK are the two things I don’t leave without riding/visiting. Even Soarin’ doesn’t get this honour!!! But I loved SSE when I was even 6 years old (I was the odd child; my sister preferred IASW with all the dolls and colours and I was the far too mature 1st grader who was fascinated with the history of communication!) and it’s stuck with me for the past 14 years, so what can I say?

After that I walked back to the World Showcase to head out the International Gateway and walk over to DHS. I pretty much refuse now to take the boat or bus between Epcot and DHS; I much prefer that walk, plus in the long run it’s faster than waiting for the bus to show up! I also wanted to go in the Yacht Club and confirm where Captain’s Grille was so I wasn’t hunting it down the next night.

DHS was just as dead as Epcot was, but I wasn’t planning on staying too terribly long there, as of course the plan was to go back to Epcot and go back to talk with my friends more before the park closed. My main mission at DHS was to find a stuffed Perry the Platypus- or make that, two of them. I want one (I’m a geek, be quiet) and then I wanted to get my brother one for his birthday next month. No such luck in all the shops (I checked all over property over the next two days and nothing- Perry is just too popular to keep in stock, I guess), so it was on to my favourite EVER- Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, of course!! I talked to a really nice guy in line to ride single so that made the time pass by pretty quick. Best part, I got 2nd row even riding single rider, so that made me VERY happy! I either prefer the front two rows or the back two rows for that coaster, don’t ask me why, I just do!

I discovered the awesomeness that is the new version of Star Tours whilst on my last trip so I had to make time to ride it too! I was initially worried about the 3D but it didn’t bother me last time, thankfully. I think this version is so much cooler than the last one, I’m not gonna lie. This is one refurb I am thoroughly thrilled with! Of course when we got off the ride, the kid who had been sitting by me, perfectly fine the whole ride, puked all over the place within a foot of me so I had to go find a CM and alert them of a protein spill. UGHHHH. Not cool at all. :shock:

I walked back over to Epcot around 7.30pm and spent till closing over in the UK… it’s the kind of thing they literally have to pry me out of there at 9pm, seriously. It’s pretty much just accepted by all of them that I’m that crazy American girl who’s friends with most of the pavilion and I hang out there 99.9% of the time so it’s never an issue. I stand there and chat with my two favourite lads for like forever and we all three have the craziest conversations, it’s hilarious. But that’s to be expected! :D

Left the pavilion at 9pm when the park closed and began heading back up front- I stayed with my friends who work at the All Stars on this trip so I was going to catch the bus over to wait for them to get off work at 11.30pm. First I decided to make a little detour at the Grand Floridian, since it’s my favourite resort and I always visit on every trip without fail. After that, rode the monorail up to the bus stops at MK, caught the one to All Star Movies, and the chilled there the rest of the night.

Hopefully I get day three out a little quicker!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Sounds like a great day 2 Soarin'! Except the kid with the protein spill ~ better off the ride than during the ride though :shock: :(

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Day 2 was lovely, I had such a good time. :mrgreen: Minus the protein spill... could have done without THAT!!!

P.S. Any unsure, protein spill is the cast member code for vomit. :wink:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 19, 2011 12:41 am

Aweome day one and two!!! I love that reaction from Mr. Brit! :D Hopefully he'll find himself in America for a while...or even if he has to go back, hopefully it will only be temporary and he'll get back over here.

Looking forward to day three!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 7:27 am

Soarin08 wrote:So I went back over to the merchandise cart and he was still there, but his back was to me and he didn’t see me, so I called out his name to get his attention. I’m not lying when I say that the look on his face when he turned around and saw me was one I’ve never seen before when anyone has seen me- he was clearly surprised but also just as happy to see me as I was to see him! There were a bunch of guests clustered around as well as another cast member but that didn’t stop him from literally grabbing me and giving me the biggest hug on the planet (and he gives the best hugs, too, the really long and really tight kind). Of course there was the question of why I didn’t inform him I was coming down but I told him I wanted to see how he’d react to me just showing up- I now know his reaction is quite ecstatic! :mrgreen:
Am I the only one when reading this had the refrain of "So this is love" rolling around my head :wink:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 7:17 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Aweome day one and two!!! I love that reaction from Mr. Brit! :D Hopefully he'll find himself in America for a while...or even if he has to go back, hopefully it will only be temporary and he'll get back over here.

Looking forward to day three!
I'm hoping when he goes back to Paris soon it'll be temporary... that's my biggest hope but who can say. I'd just hate for this to turn into one of these long-distance friendships/relationships where you wonder when on earth you'll see each other again, such as the case with my very dear friend/former coworker from Brazil (been two years and we still don't know if the other can come to either America or Brazil or not any time soon). I actually have looked at flights to both London and Paris :oops: but YIKES!!! I don't have upwards of two thousand dollars lying around currently!! Skype and Facebook are lovely after all but no substitute for a hug and a face-to-face conversation, of course. :(
Sleepy90 wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:So I went back over to the merchandise cart and he was still there, but his back was to me and he didn’t see me, so I called out his name to get his attention. I’m not lying when I say that the look on his face when he turned around and saw me was one I’ve never seen before when anyone has seen me- he was clearly surprised but also just as happy to see me as I was to see him! There were a bunch of guests clustered around as well as another cast member but that didn’t stop him from literally grabbing me and giving me the biggest hug on the planet (and he gives the best hugs, too, the really long and really tight kind). Of course there was the question of why I didn’t inform him I was coming down but I told him I wanted to see how he’d react to me just showing up- I now know his reaction is quite ecstatic! :mrgreen:
Am I the only one when reading this had the refrain of "So this is love" rolling around my head :wink:
:roll: :mrgreen: Goodness, everyone... but how I wrote it out is exactly what happened, I'm not kidding. It's something I won't soon forget either. :) I had a friend who was down the week before me who went to the pavilion to meet everyone she could find and upon meeting Mr. Brit, she was apparently just as charmed as I was 7 months ago and pronounced him an "absolute gem" so the feeling isn't just exclusive to me. :lol:

I'll try to get on day three ASAP, once this French homework is complete, perhaps!!!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

This is now Soarin's diary of living in Orlando

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Tue 24, 2012 9:37 pm

So I think I'm going to revive this but it is now the thread about my many wonderous adventures in Orlando. Where I can update everyone on the job and just muse about what I do in my down time at the parks. Make all of you jealous. :wink:

There will someday be trip reports... someday.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: This is now Soarin's diary of living in Orlando

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 25, 2012 8:28 am

Soarin08 wrote:So I think I'm going to revive this but it is now the thread about my many wonderous adventures in Orlando. Where I can update everyone on the job and just muse about what I do in my down time at the parks. Make all of you jealous. :wink:

There will someday be trip reports... someday.
Nice ~ but maybe you can include some photos every now and then ;) :lol:

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 10:39 am

every now and then?? you can never have too many photos!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 6:42 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:every now and then?? you can never have too many photos!!!
Well most of them are taken with my iPhone... and I'm too lazy to upload to Photobucket and then here. :lol: