Disney World in 2012

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Disney World in 2012

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Wed 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm really hoping that I will be able to get a chance to go to Disney World in 2012 with a couple of friends. It'll be my first time going there and I need all the info and tips I can get. A friend of mine and I have been discussing that we might stay around where another friend lives in Kissimmee and get a rental. This is what she had in mind http://www.oakplantationresort.com/tour.cfm/mode/villas and another friend of mine told me to book ahead (which is what I aim to do and have my grandfather's travel agent help me out). Nothing's solid right now but I'm aiming to book ahead. I'm not sure how long we plan on staying but I know we discussed going around January-February, which I hear is least crowded except around Marathon Weekend. The only thing is that I live in Los Angeles, one lives in Philadelphia and I'm not sure where the other one lives since we're all doing a whole meet up at Disney World if we get this all planned out.

What are some good airlines that have good deals around that time or what are some possible cheap places to stay on the resort? I'll take anything and everything!

Wizzard419

Re: Disney World in 2012

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I hear the week of 17th will be pretty exciting. :D

But anyway, you might need to consult various travel sites to see when the best rates are shown for advance booking. When you're only a few days out it's at the cheapest and I think it is like over 6 months out is also a cheap time. Best tip is always to buy direct from airlines since the only way places like travelocity save you money is when you book full packages all on their site.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I hear the week of 17th will be pretty exciting. :D

But anyway, you might need to consult various travel sites to see when the best rates are shown for advance booking. When you're only a few days out it's at the cheapest and I think it is like over 6 months out is also a cheap time. Best tip is always to buy direct from airlines since the only way places like travelocity save you money is when you book full packages all on their site.
What is happening the week of the 17th?
Yup, check the airlines websites. From reading on here, it sounds like you might be able to get deep discounts on rooms depending on when you are going.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Which 17th? January? Or February?

MLK day falls in January, so a lot people get a 3 day weekend which means the park will be busy then. In February is St. Val's Day, and the park can be busy that day too. Besides checking Expedia et al, also remember to check the airlines main website themselves. You can sometimes get better discounts going directly to the airlines websites. I think Len90 had said something about that in his trip reports.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Thu 13, 2011 1:35 am

I mentioned that Marathon Weekend is sometime in January and my friend said that her company helps to sponsor it so she may want to go around that time. I do check travelocity here and there and I can search on the airlines websites.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 13, 2011 2:08 am

Sorry forgot to add in "December", that's the week when all the nutters are going to be running about screaming the world is going to end. Good week to avoid places that sell various emergency supplies.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Thu 13, 2011 3:10 am

Anyone have an account to TouringPlans.com? I just want to browse a few things on there. I have allears.net bookmarked since I lurk that place all the time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 13, 2011 9:08 am

elizabethswann wrote:I mentioned that Marathon Weekend is sometime in January and my friend said that her company helps to sponsor it so she may want to go around that time. I do check travelocity here and there and I can search on the airlines websites.
You might be able to get a good deal using her company's travel planner. If it is a big company they would likely get some discounts if they are taking very many people with them.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jan Thu 13, 2011 11:25 am

Marathon Weekend isn't as crowded as you would think. Many of the runners are local and are just running the race. Others that come in arrive Thursday or Friday and leave Monday. I went in 2010. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The only thing was getting a hotel. But you seem to have that covered. Don't get me wrong, it was busy, but not holiday week or school vacation week busy. It was moderately crowded. Right now, I am tentatively planning on heading down there again next year for the marathon.

As far as flights... if you can do it, try to fly Tuesday-Thrusday. The prices are generally lower on mid week flights.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Thu 13, 2011 4:27 pm

I'll be sure to keep the mid week flights in mind. I'd prefer to fly sometime in the week but I'll see what she wants.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh, does anyone know if Disney is subject to the "browser favortisim" that some companies have? As in you you book a trip in IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. you may see a different price between the browsers?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, does anyone know if Disney is subject to the "browser favortisim" that some companies have? As in you you book a trip in IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. you may see a different price between the browsers?
Oh! I've never heard of this :(

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Thu 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, does anyone know if Disney is subject to the "browser favortisim" that some companies have? As in you you book a trip in IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. you may see a different price between the browsers?
That's something I've never heard of. I have both Firefox and Opera here but now I'm tempted to try this out.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 13, 2011 9:28 pm

It's an odd occurance, sometimes it's just a few bucks with sites and other times it can be thousands (this was a home loan site). I forgot the explanation my coworker gave me about it, but I think it has to do with different teams working on adjustments to the page when something doesn't work in one browser vs another.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Thu 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Huh. That's interesting. I can try it out soon and see if there really is any difference.