Disneyland Paris ~ a photo journey

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disneyland Paris ~ a photo journey

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 12, 2011 2:44 pm

mindflipper wrote:Bad news, Amy: Timekeeper's been booted from DLP too. The Visionarium was replaced with Buzz Lightyear over at DLP's MK.
:shock: :evil: Did he travel to somewhere else?!?! I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Bad news, Amy: Timekeeper's been booted from DLP too. The Visionarium was replaced with Buzz Lightyear over at DLP's MK.
Nope, Timekeeper is gone, and is also removed from TDL as well. Timekeeper is officially out of ALL the parks now. :(

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 12, 2011 9:26 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:
Nope, Timekeeper is gone, and is also removed from TDL as well. Timekeeper is officially out of ALL the parks now. :(
:cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe we can find him for sale on ebay?!?!! :D
Sounds like no one wants him :( ...I would give him a nice home :mrgreen:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Nope, Timekeeper is gone, and is also removed from TDL as well. Timekeeper is officially out of ALL the parks now. :(
:cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe we can find him for sale on ebay?!?!! :D
Sounds like no one wants him :( ...I would give him a nice home :mrgreen:
If not Ebay, then Mouse Surplus...but the price tag on him there would require a second mortgage to finance that purchase! :wink: :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 14, 2011 9:25 pm

All right then, time to finish up Fantasyland and head on over to Adventureland...
One last look at Dumbo ~ very cool setting for this attraction here in Paris :D
Their Pirates of the Caribbean is nestled between the two lands in the far back of the park...
They also have a camera on this ride...obviously the couple behind me knew right when the photo was being taken, or they were making out the entire time :?
You'll find Skull Rock near Adventure Isle...
The Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril ride in DLP is a roller coaster instead of a jeep ride...and I don't know if it is always like this, since there was a sign sort of tacked onto the attraction sign, but this attraction went in reverse instead of forward motion :shock: It also goes upside down which was fun :D The way this attraction was situated made it almost impossible to get a good photograph of it...
I spotted King Louie sporting some very nice Mickey Mouse shades :cool:
La Cabane des Robinson seemed a little better and fresher than the WDW version...
Last edited by Amy on Jan Fri 14, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Actually, the IJ coaster started going forward, at least it was that way in 1998. Between 1998 and 2003, they must have switched gears and sent it in reverse.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 14, 2011 9:43 pm

mindflipper wrote:Actually, the IJ coaster started going forward, at least it was that way in 1998. Between 1998 and 2003, they must have switched gears and sent it in reverse.
That is sort of what I figured since they made a big deal about it going in reverse, that it must not have always been that way. I wonder which direction it goes in now?!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Actually, the IJ coaster started going forward, at least it was that way in 1998. Between 1998 and 2003, they must have switched gears and sent it in reverse.
That is sort of what I figured since they made a big deal about it going in reverse, that it must not have always been that way. I wonder which direction it goes in now?!
I believe it's still going in reverse.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Ok, moving on over to Discoveryland...this was one of my favorite lands because of the overall theming, a Jules Verne, old-fashion-y look to the land

Le Visionarium resides in this land and houses one of my most favorite attractions from WDW yesterland...the Timekeeper!
These first four photos are in the waiting area for the attraction, just a whole bunch of weird, cool stuff :D
Then inside the attraction ~ voila ~ the Timekeeper himself, who obviously was bilingual because he spoke perfect French, even though he never showed off his Frenchiness at WDW :lol: His hair wasn't quite a sparkley and spectacular as I remember it being in WDW though :(

They have a very pretty Orbitron in Paris...

The most splendid Space Mountain - De la Terre à la Lune (Mont de l'Espace)
I don't remember a lot about the interior of this attraction, but the outside! Oh my goodness! This is the most awesomely themed Space Mountain that I think the Disney parks have to offer. You shoot up the outside of the building when you take off!!!
Yup, up this telescope-y tube right here!! :shock: In fact you can see a train inside it if you look closely :D

Videopolis which is sort of like Starlight Ray's Cafe in WDW. A place to sit and eat and watch a show at the same time, although here in DLP, the actors are live and not audioanimatronics...
This part of the architecture reminds me a little of the Taste Pilot's Grill in DL
I'm pretty sure this photo is from the Videopolis show...

They have Star Tours - the original ;)
I love all these little guys...droids? I think they are called...very much like at DL
Good day Mr. C3PO!

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by dichuy » Jan Sat 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm really enjoying these Amy. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. And what an amazing opportunity: trip around the world. Oh how I'd love that!
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 15, 2011 11:46 pm

dichuy wrote:I'm really enjoying these Amy. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. And what an amazing opportunity: trip around the world. Oh how I'd love that!
Thanks dichuy! It really was the opportunity of a lifetime ~ and it all started with replacing my vehicle :shock: Things just snowballed from there :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 16, 2011 12:05 am

Amy wrote:Image
The Giant Columbiad Cannon. Based upon the Jules Verne story, the giant cannon shoots the riders into space.
Amy wrote:Image
The Hyperion airship is based on a Disney film called "The Island at the Top of the World". An expedition uses the helium filled airship in order to find the fabled lost graveyard of whales. It's more Jules Verne inspired than written by Jules Verne. And its even available on DVD at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Island-Top-World- ... 063&sr=8-1

And finally, its great to see Le Visionarium again. I don't know if this option was still there when you went, but back in 1992 and 1998 the attraction had headphones in the lean rails. There was a knob with which you could select I believe either French, Spanish, German, Italian and English. Once selected, you could hear the entire show in that language! So while the show was being done in French over the loudspeakers, you could hear a different language in the headphones. Oh, how I still grieve for this attraction.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 16, 2011 1:05 am

A cannon! That's right! I was thinking that a telescope wasn't quite right but I didn't quite remember my Jules Verne stories ~
Don't know that I ever knew about the helium airship, I might have to check out that movie :D
I'm pretty sure Le Visionarium had the headphones, but I wouldn't swear to it. I was pretty immersed in whichever country I was in and tried to keep up as best as I could with the language. I had only studied German and Japanese (in high school and college respectively) so that made it a bit of a challenge at times. Luckily I picked up the languages quickly...at least enough to get around and be a polite traveler anyhow :lol: I found that attempting the native language went a long ways toward the people being willing to communicate with you :D but boy was I appreciative when they spoke English!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 16, 2011 1:23 am

I remember I actually like the english version of the attraction from the headsets - and, I gotta admit, I liked it better than the Robin Williams-Rhea Perlman version at WDW.

I don't speak French, but I don't remember ever having problems communicating. Back in 1992, when I had lunch but could not find any place to sit down, a German couple invited me to join them. They spoke English very well. When I had stood in line to buy tickets that day, I met a Norwegian couple my age and we spoke for the time we waited in line. Oddly enough, all the visiting Europeans seemed to speak English better than any customer service person I get on the phone in this country... :shock: :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 16, 2011 7:32 am

mindflipper wrote:I remember I actually like the english version of the attraction from the headsets - and, I gotta admit, I liked it better than the Robin Williams-Rhea Perlman version at WDW.

I don't speak French, but I don't remember ever having problems communicating. Back in 1992, when I had lunch but could not find any place to sit down, a German couple invited me to join them. They spoke English very well. When I had stood in line to buy tickets that day, I met a Norwegian couple my age and we spoke for the time we waited in line. Oddly enough, all the visiting Europeans seemed to speak English better than any customer service person I get on the phone in this country... :shock: :wink:
You've got a point there. Other countries really value learning a foreign language, and while American schools usually "require" a foreign language if you are planning on heading off to college, it just isn't stressed the way it is overseas. I think most other countries start learning another language in the earliest grades. I was quite spoiled by the fact most everyone spoke at least a little English. Surprisingly enough, the CMs at TDL were the most reluctant to speak English. I would guess most of them were pretty fluent in English but did not want to make a mistake if they tried. That is where it came in handy knowing a little Japanese. Almost everyone I met and interacted with apologized for their poor English skills but I always told them it was far superior to what I could manage of their language.