Airfare

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: Airfare

Post by laurie5658 » Sep Mon 12, 2011 9:11 am

Awesome information! We are currently in search of that magical airfare for our Thanksgiving trip. Its pretty tricky right now snagging a good one. This website will help! THANK YOU!

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 11:33 am

And I am STILL in search of that magical airfare. Argh!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Just saw a big article in today's paper about how airlines are going to be cutting back on flights once again, pushing airfares even higher and the hopes of having any wiggle room in the plane dashed :(

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 3:47 pm

You can always try out the new low cost search engine from google

http://www.google.com/flights/

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Honestly, I don't see why, unless your airport doesn't have the service, more people don't just fly Southwest. They've spoiled me, seriously. It's the baggage that's so expensive and it's all thanks to them I can even fly for a decent price. My entire trip this past weekend, including the flight, shuttle down, hotel, and merchandise/food was only $500. You can't get that cheap on a flight alone, at least through my experiences.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Honestly, I don't see why, unless your airport doesn't have the service, more people don't just fly Southwest. They've spoiled me, seriously. It's the baggage that's so expensive and it's all thanks to them I can even fly for a decent price. My entire trip this past weekend, including the flight, shuttle down, hotel, and merchandise/food was only $500. You can't get that cheap on a flight alone, at least through my experiences.
Yup, that sounds like a great deal. We are some of the unfortunate without Southwest service though :(

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Even if you don't want to fly southwest (like me) their presence is always good since it makes flights cheaper. For some reason jetblue can't force lower airfares from other companies, though the nearest jet blue terminal is long beach and I think that airport has like 3 airlines at most (it's a cool airport but if you need to go anywhere other than NYC or a few other cities you will be SOL)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Even if you don't want to fly southwest (like me) their presence is always good since it makes flights cheaper. For some reason jetblue can't force lower airfares from other companies, though the nearest jet blue terminal is long beach and I think that airport has like 3 airlines at most (it's a cool airport but if you need to go anywhere other than NYC or a few other cities you will be SOL)
From what I recall Long Beach is a West Coast hub for JetBlue. They offer a decent amount of nonstop destinations in the continental US but you would need to connect to reach the rest of their destinations.

As a result of the Air Tran and Southwest merger we now have some Southwest service out of Newark. However, this has had no effect on the price of airfare out of Newark.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 14, 2011 11:30 pm

It was their first west coast airport, the biggest problem with jetblue is that most, if not all, of the places they serve are hubs and you can end up with really long travel plans. If I recall, a jet blue flight to the carribean from here would take about 10-12 hours as you would need to go to NYC first and then switch planes, that and the airport isn't as close as John Wayne (it is a nice little airport but it's still darn far away).