Airfare

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Airfare

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Apparently you will want to avoid anyone that flies under the US airways family or Jet Blue as both are still charging the tax.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Apparently you will want to avoid anyone that flies under the US airways family or Jet Blue as both are still charging the tax.
We usually fly Delta since they are one of the few that we can get connections for in South Bend instead of flying out of Chicago or Detroit...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 4:58 pm

A little advice for someone who doesn't fly cross country often, if you please...

I've been comparing airfare for a while now, and I recently came across some of the best rates I've seen so far. My question is, is it possible that the prices will drop more or should we go ahead and book? Anyone have any ideas what a "typical" midweek ticket should cost?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 5:23 pm

MmeLeota wrote:A little advice for someone who doesn't fly cross country often, if you please...

I've been comparing airfare for a while now, and I recently came across some of the best rates I've seen so far. My question is, is it possible that the prices will drop more or should we go ahead and book? Anyone have any ideas what a "typical" midweek ticket should cost?
Hmm air has gone up a lot due to fuel costs. If I may ask what is it about after taxes per head each way? Secondly which airline is this for?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Len90 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:A little advice for someone who doesn't fly cross country often, if you please...

Hmm air has gone up a lot due to fuel costs. If I may ask what is it about after taxes per head each way? Secondly which airline is this for?
There are 2 options...

Roughly $180 pp/each way on US Airways

or

Roughly $196 pp/each way on Southwest

I was thinking about Southwest since we will most likely each have a bag to check...the baggage fees alone would be about $100 for both of us round trip on US Airways ($25 per bag each way)

What are your thoughts?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 5:47 pm

hmm interesting dilemma. I like that you realize the baggage fees you can incur with airlines. Those doe seem like attractive rates. Especially the $196 with southwest as your bags fly free. Have you checked each airlines policy about refunding money if the fare goes down farther? I know jetBlue will issue you travel credit into your true blue account when the airfare goes down. It's good towards future airfare purchases.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 5:48 pm

The asnwer is "Yes"

It may drop, it may go up, you may want to book now or wait. Considering the number of variables that go into making a ticket price it is rare to see two tickets purchased at the different times go for the same price outside of a special promotion/rate.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Len90 wrote:hmm interesting dilemma. I like that you realize the baggage fees you can incur with airlines. Those doe seem like attractive rates. Especially the $196 with southwest as your bags fly free. Have you checked each airlines policy about refunding money if the fare goes down farther? I know jetBlue will issue you travel credit into your true blue account when the airfare goes down. It's good towards future airfare purchases.
I'll have to look into that...good point there Len. I really wanted to fly Jet Blue, but seeing $298 pp/each way before taxes kinda made me realize the price probably won't drop enough for the credit to be worth shelling out that kind of $$$ right now.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Either of those fares look pretty good MmeLeota. If you find a good fare, it is a good idea to go ahead and book it, especially with fuel costs varying so wildly these days. Also a good idea to look into the policy about refunding money if fares go down as Len suggested. The baggage fees are a big thing for sure.
The other thing you want to look into is where the flights fly into. I know for us one of the airlines that is cheaper only flies into Sanford which is further away from Disney and doesn't have Magical Express (at least I don't think it does)
I think the last time we flew to California from Indiana (South Bend is our closest airport) we paid about $349 per person round-trip...and that was before the baggage fee nonsense :roll:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Amy wrote:Either of those fares look pretty good MmeLeota. If you find a good fare, it is a good idea to go ahead and book it, especially with fuel costs varying so wildly these days. Also a good idea to look into the policy about refunding money if fares go down as Len suggested. The baggage fees are a big thing for sure.
The other thing you want to look into is where the flights fly into. I know for us one of the airlines that is cheaper only flies into Sanford which is further away from Disney and doesn't have Magical Express (at least I don't think it does)
I think the last time we flew to California from Indiana (South Bend is our closest airport) we paid about $349 per person round-trip...and that was before the baggage fee nonsense :roll:
You know, I started looking into alternate airports like Tampa or JAX, but by the time I added in car rental it was about the same price as it would be to fly right into Orlando. (or maybe $50 less...if that) Plus that doesn't include gas for the car...so I gave up on that and figured I'm ok with spending just a little more to fly into Orlando and take advantage of DME. If we really want to go anywhere non-Disney, we can rent a car for the day. But since it's been so long, I'm thinking we're just going to soak in all things Disney this time.
I will definitely look into the price drop policy, but I have a feeling we'll be booking airfare soon...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:03 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Len90 wrote:hmm interesting dilemma. I like that you realize the baggage fees you can incur with airlines. Those doe seem like attractive rates. Especially the $196 with southwest as your bags fly free. Have you checked each airlines policy about refunding money if the fare goes down farther? I know jetBlue will issue you travel credit into your true blue account when the airfare goes down. It's good towards future airfare purchases.
I'll have to look into that...good point there Len. I really wanted to fly Jet Blue, but seeing $298 pp/each way before taxes kinda made me realize the price probably won't drop enough for the credit to be worth shelling out that kind of $$$ right now.
You can actually predict how the flights will go based on the seat maps. If the planes are pretty booked then they will only go up in price. If the planes are empty then you will have a good shot of getting cheaper airfare by waiting out. For airlines like US air you can see by clicking "seats". On jetBlue you have to act like your going to book. Select the flights and enter in all your information. Then you are brought to seat selection which gives you an insight into the plane's availability. Airfares are usually cheapest Tuesday-Thursday so be looking.

As an outsider, those are great fares. I was averaging $125 a head a way for a flight from JFK-MCO. Cross country are always a lot more.
- Len90

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Great tips Len! Thank you for your expertise!

Thanks for your input too, Amy!

I am just trying to make sure we get the best deal possible out there, but I don't want to wait too long either...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:21 pm

MmeLeota wrote:[You know, I started looking into alternate airports like Tampa or JAX, but by the time I added in car rental it was about the same price as it would be to fly right into Orlando. (or maybe $50 less...if that) Plus that doesn't include gas for the car...so I gave up on that and figured I'm ok with spending just a little more to fly into Orlando and take advantage of DME. If we really want to go anywhere non-Disney, we can rent a car for the day. But since it's been so long, I'm thinking we're just going to soak in all things Disney this time.
I will definitely look into the price drop policy, but I have a feeling we'll be booking airfare soon...
Yup, MCO is the way to go ~ leave the driving to Disney!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:38 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Southwest. Bags are free, and the prices are pretty much lower than the other airlines- I compare heavily before booking and Southwest keeps on being the best choice, mostly for baggage.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Lately, we've flown other airlines because they were cheaper...however, they were only short flights and only required a carry on so it was worth it.