Airfare

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Airfare

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:59 pm

I will be keeping tabs on this thread for when I plan out my airfare but I am most certain I will be using Southwest since they are real cheap.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Sun 19, 2011 8:21 pm

elizabethswann wrote:I will be keeping tabs on this thread for when I plan out my airfare but I am most certain I will be using Southwest since they are real cheap.
My advice to you is shop around and keep a number in your head. Don't run in to book on the first day fares are available as they might not necessarily be the cheapest. Check daily as fares can fluctuate daily and be ready to jump when you see your number. Finally don't be scared to book the one way at a time. I've done it the past few years with Jet Blue and it has worked out really well in saving more money.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Len90 wrote:...Finally don't be scared to book the one way at a time. I've done it the past few years with Jet Blue and it has worked out really well in saving more money.
This is an interesting tidbit of information. I will pass it along to F1gment as she is the airfare guru in our household. I am the ticket, accommodations and logistics wizard :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Sun 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:...Finally don't be scared to book the one way at a time. I've done it the past few years with Jet Blue and it has worked out really well in saving more money.
This is an interesting tidbit of information. I will pass it along to F1gment as she is the airfare guru in our household. I am the ticket, accommodations and logistics wizard :D
LOL You have to be careful as some airlines like Continental/United might charge you more if you book a one way vs a round trip. It's a lot of work but definitely worth it when you succeed at saving money.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 20, 2011 7:13 am

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
LOL You have to be careful as some airlines like Continental/United might charge you more if you book a one way vs a round trip. It's a lot of work but definitely worth it when you succeed at saving money.
She does a really good job at ferreting out the best deals. I'll let her know about possible extra charges for one-way trips ~ but she probably already knows about that.

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jun Mon 20, 2011 11:27 am

Len90 wrote:
elizabethswann wrote:I will be keeping tabs on this thread for when I plan out my airfare but I am most certain I will be using Southwest since they are real cheap.
My advice to you is shop around and keep a number in your head. Don't run in to book on the first day fares are available as they might not necessarily be the cheapest. Check daily as fares can fluctuate daily and be ready to jump when you see your number. Finally don't be scared to book the one way at a time. I've done it the past few years with Jet Blue and it has worked out really well in saving more money.
I'm still browsing around for the most part. Nothing's solid just yet.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 12:16 pm

I just booked a flight on jetblue from Portland Maine to Orlando direct for $340 round trip. That includes my baggage and all the fees, I think that is quite reasonable.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 6:42 pm

northernmousefan2007 wrote:I just booked a flight on jetblue from Portland Maine to Orlando direct for $340 round trip. That includes my baggage and all the fees, I think that is quite reasonable.
Comes out to about $170 a way after taxes and fees. Considering it's from Maine and about a 3 hour + flight I'd say you did pretty well. Great job!
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Yeah, if you can be on a route that isn't popular with biz travelers you save tons. As opposed to when I go to the northern office (bay area) where it costs me like 4-500 for a round trip flight that has you in takeoff/landing mode more than crusing alt.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Mon 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah, if you can be on a route that isn't popular with biz travelers you save tons. As opposed to when I go to the northern office (bay area) where it costs me like 4-500 for a round trip flight that has you in takeoff/landing mode more than crusing alt.
Yeah those routes will kill you big time. I know Newark to Montreal is a lot more expensive than Newark to Orlando or Atlanta. I think it might come out to the same or slightly more than a cross country route like Newark to LA or San Fran.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 12:12 am

On the plus side I don't pay for it, and since I use my AA account and credit card I get the miles and the cash back (I know you're supposed to give the company your air miles earned during travel for work but no one has ever asked for them back)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Tue 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Ok...I was on Southwest Airlines' site today and it looks like they are having a sale to celebrate their 40th anniversary!!!!

There are some pretty good deals out there, but you have to book by the 23rd (I think...check the site to be sure). Some one way fares were as low as $40!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Mine on Southwest for next month was $430 roundtrip... the only reason I went with Southwest, even though I knew it was higher than some others I checked into, was because of the baggage. Free checked bags under 50 lbs., that will help me quite a bit.

And I refuse to fly Delta so that's out. Anyways. That's not important, I'm just saying it. Crappiest customer service I've ever seen in my entire life.

But then out here, Southwest is a HUGE airline, and the Salt Lake airport is a big hub for that line. Most of us here fly Southwest regardless because it's easier.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Wed 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Mine on Southwest for next month was $430 roundtrip... the only reason I went with Southwest, even though I knew it was higher than some others I checked into, was because of the baggage. Free checked bags under 50 lbs., that will help me quite a bit.

And I refuse to fly Delta so that's out. Anyways. That's not important, I'm just saying it. Crappiest customer service I've ever seen in my entire life.

But then out here, Southwest is a HUGE airline, and the Salt Lake airport is a big hub for that line. Most of us here fly Southwest regardless because it's easier.
You could check and see if the fare would be cheaper now because of the sale...if there's a difference, I believe you can get that refund. Not sure if it would be $$$ or travel credit, but it's worth a shot, right?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Wed 22, 2011 10:48 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Mine on Southwest for next month was $430 roundtrip... the only reason I went with Southwest, even though I knew it was higher than some others I checked into, was because of the baggage. Free checked bags under 50 lbs., that will help me quite a bit.

You could check and see if the fare would be cheaper now because of the sale...if there's a difference, I believe you can get that refund. Not sure if it would be $$$ or travel credit, but it's worth a shot, right?
Sale? Do enlighten me!