Go, Go, Go... or relax and smell the roses?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like to "Go, Go, Go.." or "relax and smell the roses?"

Go, Go, Go.... time is short, and I want to cram in as much Disney as possible!
30%
Relax and smell the roses... a vacation should be relaxing. With good planning you can do enough without rushing.
70%

Total votes: 23

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Go, Go, Go... or relax and smell the roses?

Post by Sleepy90 » Oct Wed 20, 2010 2:24 am

I am the relax and smell the roses type.
I plan nothing and enjoy carrying it out, I check the weather for the following day in the evening when we get back to the room and then decide where to go the following day. It does help that I go for a 14 day stretch at a time so I don't have to worry about rushing. I do not have any ADR's as I am on holiday I don't want to have to be somewhere at a specific time I have enough of that at home. The one exception to this is for the up and coming trip as we have an ADR for The Cellier for valentines day.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Wed 20, 2010 8:49 am

When you're there on "holiday" (or as we yanks say "vacation") you can get away without getting an ADR. However, if you're there on a "holiday" (like Thanksgiving or Christmas), you definitely need an ADR, no question.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Oct Wed 20, 2010 8:55 am

For us its a little of both.

We like to get to the parks for the opening, so we do kind of hustle to get there on time and making dining reservations keeps you on a schedule of sorts. But other than that, we take it as it comes & don't make rigid park plans. We don't want to come home needing a vacation from our vacation?

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by dichuy » Oct Wed 27, 2010 9:43 am

Since I have been lucky enough to have been going for 39 years there is not much pressure to do and see everything. This past January I took my mom for her birthday and we hadn't been in 9 years. We had new things to see, but since it was January and not many lines we were able to get to everything without a problem. We are up and in the parks early and they had to kick us out at night, but there is nothing my mom and I enjoy doing more than sitting on Main Street at WDW in the rocking chairs eating a box of popcorn watching the crowds and listening to the music. So we do a bit of both.

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Oct Sat 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Well, after 5 trips to WDW, my goal on this trip is to smell the roses......really.......

Mouseoholic and DW of Mousekedude!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 31, 2010 8:24 am

Mouseoholic wrote:Well, after 5 trips to WDW, my goal on this trip is to smell the roses......really.......
Mouseoholic and DW of Mousekedude!
Suuuuuuuurrrre ;) Good luck with that! :lol:
Really, I think that since you have a longer trip this time, you will be able to have some "stop and smell the roses moments" mixed in with all the flurry of activities... :lol:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Sun 31, 2010 10:12 pm

I know my sweetie means well, and I'm really hoping we have plenty of "smell the roses" time, but I have a hunch that there's gonna be whole lotta "go, go, go" on this trip for the simple fact that we are going to be meeting a lot of our fellow Mayhem Marauders for the first time, as well as hanging out with the Boilers a lot more for the second time, on this trip. So much excitement and mayhem... so little time... :lol:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Mon 01, 2010 8:57 pm

I would say, as with any vacation I take, it's more of a "Do stuff" rather than sit by the pool since it's mostly destination vacations. That being said I don't do the "We must be at this ride by X hour or I will shoot the slowest person here" style vacation, it's more of a "do what you want" kind of thing.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 02, 2010 5:23 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I would say, as with any vacation I take, it's more of a "Do stuff" rather than sit by the pool since it's mostly destination vacations. That being said I don't do the "We must be at this ride by X hour or I will shoot the slowest person here" style vacation, it's more of a "do what you want" kind of thing.
That sounds like a nice combination of the two :D

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Fri 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Well, so far it's 82% "relax" and 18% "go, go, go." That proves that "it's not just me" and that I'm not just "getting old." :lol:
I'm going to use these stats to urge my sweetie to be more understanding of, and cooperative with, my need for plenty of "relaxing by the pool" time. 8-)

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Nov Sat 13, 2010 6:12 am

Mousekedude wrote:Well, so far it's 82% "relax" and 18% "go, go, go." That proves that "it's not just me" and that I'm not just "getting old." :lol:
I'm going to use these stats to urge my sweetie to be more understanding of, and cooperative with, my need for plenty of "relaxing by the pool" time. 8-)
Hmmm relax by the pool now there's a novel concept, I do not believe I have ever done that except possibly while waiting for the laundry to process. I view the resort as a place to lay my head at night and not much more which is probably why I do not have an aversion to the value resorts. Port Orleans is lovely but not enough to keep me out of the parks. When I said smell the roses I meant take the parks at a leisurely pace. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 13, 2010 6:46 am

That's the way we feel Sleepy, the resorts are for sleeping and possibly a little breakfast in the morning. And truly one of the only times we used the pool was when we were doing laundry :lol: Although we normally go during November or December so it is a little chilly for swimming anyhow...

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Jan Wed 12, 2011 3:57 pm

For me it all depends on the length of the trip, we usually do two trips at least a year. One is a long weekend which is nonstop go, go, go. The other is a full week where we take more time to relax, get on a few rides. Plan a couple nice dinners or events, no rushing at all.
"now, bring me that horizon"

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Jan Thu 13, 2011 6:57 am

Well, I predicted it: Mouseoholic wanted the "go, go, go..." kind of trip again on this last visit, and that's pretty much what we did. But I will give her credit for being a little more reasonable than in the past as far as scheduling things, and we did have one or two resort breaks where we just chilled for a couple of hours... we even took a nap one afternoon! But the rest of the time we were wearing out the soles of our shoes... quickly. :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Thu 13, 2011 9:47 am

Hey, I remember on Dec 4th that we did cover a great deal of the parks and the rides, but we did take some breaks along the way (to catch our second wind, as it were)....