Go, Go, Go... or relax and smell the roses?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like to "Go, Go, Go.." or "relax and smell the roses?"

Go, Go, Go.... time is short, and I want to cram in as much Disney as possible!
30%
Relax and smell the roses... a vacation should be relaxing. With good planning you can do enough without rushing.
70%

Total votes: 23

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Go, Go, Go... or relax and smell the roses?

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 19, 2010 6:06 am

Hey, everybody! There are two different kinds of Disney vacationers: those who like to go full throttle trying to see and do as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, and those who prefer to relax and take it easy so they can enjoy the sights and unwind. Which are you? Why?
I'll start it out: my DW, Mouseoholic, is the "Go, Go, Go" type. She likes the excitement and wants to see and do everything she possibly can in the least amount of time because in her mind, the vacation is never long enough. She'll even book stuff almost right up to the minute we have to catch our ride back to the airport... we have literally had to run a couple times to catch our bus so we wouldn't miss our flight!
Myself, I like to relax. Yes, I want to see and do a lot of different things, but I also want to be able to unwind and just soak it all in... ahhhhh, the sheer joy of just being at Disney and seeing the sights....! That's all I need, really. I go on vacation to relax, not to be stressed out. Our differences have led to some meltdowns, that's for sure, but we've managed to work out some compromises that work for both of us.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Go, Go, Go... or relax and smell the roses?

Post by timekeeper » Oct Tue 19, 2010 6:58 am

We have done both but our favorite trip to date was the 11 day relax and see everything trip. We took 2 days in the world showcase and saw everything. Usually we skip the movies, etc. It was nice to take alot of pool time to cool down in August and to do the parks in the morning and then again after dinner.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Oct Tue 19, 2010 7:24 am

I find the second choice interesting. Relax, with good planning you can do everything.

I find that when you plan your vacation, you end up with the run, run, run vacation. You have all this stuff you want to do and you try to cram it in so you don't miss any of it! That's just my experience anyway.

I like to relax and take in the atmosphere of the place. I had the good fortune of going down there solo last January. I met some friends that were also down there. That was very relaxing to me. I would get up early and head out about 7:00AM. I wouldn't get back to the room until around 10:00PM. Full days. It was great. I would have the first two or three hours to myself for breakfast or just coffee and maybe some extra magic hours and then meet my friends around 10 or so and hang with them for the rest of the day. It was great.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Oct Tue 19, 2010 7:52 am

I would have selected both options if that was possible. I am usually up and ready to go each day around 5:00am and I can go wide open until around 2:00-3:00 then I start slowing down. After that I am very happy to just take it easy and leisurely walk around the parks or find a nice place to sit and relax. Too bad the rest of my family is just the opposite from that. They are slow starters but they are just catching their second wind about the time that I am done for the day.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 19, 2010 9:51 am

I prefer a more relaxed pace. Even the first time I went to EuroDisney I wanted to cram everything in but I still did a relaxed pace (even found a spot to take a quick nap during the day LOL!). Then again, when I was there that day long ago, the park hours were 9 AM to 1 AM, so I had plenty of time.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:27 am

I like to do all of my "go, go, go" during my planning phase. I research everything I can and get the entire trip scoped out. Then as we get closer, I prune and refine the trip schedule. By the time we get to WDW we are in relaxation mode and we get to enjoy it. The only times I can remember rushing around were in the mornings...just to do a few of the headliner attractions...then the rest of the days were for strolling around and enjoying the "Disney Difference" that you cannot get in other theme parks.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:31 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I like to do all of my "go, go, go" during my planning phase. I research everything I can and get the entire trip scoped out. Then as we get closer, I prune and refine the trip schedule. By the time we get to WDW we are in relaxation mode and we get to enjoy it. The only times I can remember rushing around were in the mornings...just to do a few of the headliner attractions...then the rest of the days were for strolling around and enjoying the "Disney Difference" that you cannot get in other theme parks.
Well said. That's exactly how I'd do it if I was in charge of our planning..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:33 am

Good topic M-dude!!!

First and foremost, there is never enough time at WDW for us! We always try to squeeze as much into our trip as possible. Even though we've been before (coming up will be my 17th visit) it's never enough, it never gets old. We do plan, I like to have an idea of what our days will be like. But, we are flexible. We always leave 1 or 2 days in our vacation for a "resort day" where we just enjoy what the resort has to offer and relax! I don't like coming home from vacation feeling like I just ran a marathon. B-dude is more the "GO GO GO" and I have to reign him in. I think we balance eachother well. We always say though "if we just had one more day". :lol:

So, I guess we are a mix of both here!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:55 am

The hardest things for DW and I to do was skip out on fireworks because we were too tired. Of course we ended up going back to those parks and catching the fireworks on other nights...so it wasn't a total loss. We did not get to see Fantasmic though...because we couldn't justify waiting over an hour just outside the theater crammed into that area with all of those people. Fantasmic is good...but not that good...especially when we could be doing and seeing other things.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 19, 2010 11:01 am

theBIGyowski wrote:The hardest things for DW and I to do was skip out on fireworks because we were too tired. Of course we ended up going back to those parks and catching the fireworks on other nights...so it wasn't a total loss. We did not get to see Fantasmic though...because we couldn't justify waiting over an hour just outside the theater crammed into that area with all of those people. Fantasmic is good...but not that good...especially when we could be doing and seeing other things.
So.... you're basically of the "relax and smell the roses" persuasion...?

I'm really enjoying all the good comments so far, but I think it's funny that hardly anybody is actually voting. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. Seems like it's that way with most of the poll threads. :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Mousekedude wrote:...I'm really enjoying all the good comments so far, but I think it's funny that hardly anybody is actually voting. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. Seems like it's that way with most of the poll threads. :wink:
Just for you M-dude, I voted. I am bad at the polls, I hate commitment :lol:
I was raised as a go, go, go-er on vacation and continue to do so. I think that if I am paying to see and do things, I want to see and do them. I am not a relaxed person on vacation ~ but I try :mrgreen: Of course, that also fits with my personality at home...relax? I don't think so! :roll:
My Mom on the other hand is a relaxed vacationer, so she will be leisurely in the morning, eating brekkie and all while I am out exploring. Then, by the time we meet up I will have burned off some energy and can go at a slower pace...hopefully...that is the plan anyhow :lol:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Tue 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Technically both. (though I voted for go-go-go)

Like Amy, I was raised as a go-go-go person on vacations. But there are times I would like to just relax (I think I'd have a hard time doing that though :? ). Since most folks are referring to WDW, we would definitely be go-go-go since we haven't been in so long! (of course, it also depends on physical limitations as well) We would want to experience so much that we would need a vacation from our vacation! :shock: Through reading fellow Subbers' trip reports, I have definitely decided that we would have one day built in as a "non-park" day. A day to relax and resort-hop, or hang out by the pool or shop at DTD. This way we could get a bit of relaxation in as well.

Now as far as DL is concerned, that's a horse of a different color...since we used to have APs and used to go as much as possible, we got to the point where we just enjoyed hanging out and people-watching. (that really came in handy the one time we went for NYE :shock: What a mess!) DL was our relaxation place! We never felt like we had to rush around. We still don't , but since we don't take trips as often, we find ourselves wanting to fit more into a day.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 19, 2010 2:11 pm

This one was easy for me... we're a "house divided."

I grew up going to WDW and have been so many times that it doesn't bother me when I miss things. Because I know that I will get the chance to see them again and if I don't, then I was blessed to see them in the first place. I like to leisurely stroll around and take everything in.

My DW is a different story. She feels that if we miss something or we do not rush to get everything in each day then we are losing out on the money we paid for the vacation. We will make a plan in the morning and if something goes wrong or gets changed, then she gets a little flustered. I just shrug it off. This has also created arguments like you have experienced M-Dude.

The funny thing is when the roles get reversed. If we go back to the room to rest/take a nap/put kids down for a nap, then I am chomping at the bit to get back to one of the parks and my DW wants to take her time. (I can never win!) ;)

I voted... :D

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Oct Tue 19, 2010 4:13 pm

If it's Disneyland- then go go go. I don't live in CA anymore, so when I get a chance to go there, it's only for minimal days. There are some attractions that I just NEED to do more than once or twice.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 19, 2010 11:33 pm

boilerbabe wrote:We always say though "if we just had one more day"
Then days would become weeks, weeks would become months, months would become years - and then the next thing you know Disney would forcibly evict you to avoid you claiming squatter's rights... :wink: :lol: