Does your trip planning include getting fit for the MOUSE?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainFinz13
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Re: Does your trip planning include getting fit for the MOUS

Post by CaptainFinz13 » Aug Wed 24, 2011 1:43 pm

This is absolutely part of my travel plans that I'm currently working on! Esepcially since just a few weeks ago I had a pretty, let's just say humbling experience at our local Six Flags park. I have a tummy, just like everyone's favorite silly ol' bear. And I have broad shoulders. But I saw far bigger people than me walking around that park. So it was pretty surprising and embarrassing when I was told I had to get off a roller coaster because I couldn't get the belt to clip into the over-the-shoulders harness. It was basically a similar design to The Hulk at Univ. Islands/adv, which I might add I've ridden without issue.

It was really a kick in the pants that I needed. But I still say they should re-examine their designs. Although really they don't design anything. They buy what engineering firms bring them basically. Not like Imagineering who actually considers the guests. Still, before I come down in November, I am planning on being at least 25 - 30 lbs lighter, just in case. Because I am going to ride Rock & Roller Coaster (which is the only one I can foresee having a similar problem on.)

Still, I'm glad I'm not flying Southwest.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Wed 24, 2011 2:00 pm

CaptainFinz13 wrote:This is absolutely part of my travel plans that I'm currently working on! Esepcially since just a few weeks ago I had a pretty, let's just say humbling experience at our local Six Flags park. I have a tummy, just like everyone's favorite silly ol' bear. And I have broad shoulders. But I saw far bigger people than me walking around that park. So it was pretty surprising and embarrassing when I was told I had to get off a roller coaster because I couldn't get the belt to clip into the over-the-shoulders harness. It was basically a similar design to The Hulk at Univ. Islands/adv, which I might add I've ridden without issue.

It was really a kick in the pants that I needed. But I still say they should re-examine their designs. Although really they don't design anything. They buy what engineering firms bring them basically. Not like Imagineering who actually considers the guests. Still, before I come down in November, I am planning on being at least 25 - 30 lbs lighter, just in case. Because I am going to ride Rock & Roller Coaster (which is the only one I can foresee having a similar problem on.)

Still, I'm glad I'm not flying Southwest.
You can do it, Cap'n! Our Subsonic family will cheer you on! :D

Thanks all, for the kind words on my situation. I had planned to run again this morning but couldn't because of the pain. It is improving though, so maybe tomorrow... :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 24, 2011 6:41 pm

M-dude: have you checked with your doctor about your foot? Maybe you've been pushing it too hard? Perhaps you need a more gradual training to allow the foot more time to adjust and adapt to the stress... :?: :?: :?:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Wed 24, 2011 9:02 pm

mindflipper wrote:M-dude: have you checked with your doctor about your foot? Maybe you've been pushing it too hard? Perhaps you need a more gradual training to allow the foot more time to adjust and adapt to the stress... :?: :?: :?:
I haven't checked with my doctor, but I think you're right. I need to quit being so darned impatient and take my time. It is feeling a little better now, since I took it fairly easy today. I worked on the shadowbox, but didn't do anything that would really put stress on the foot. I think I'll try running again in the morning and see how it goes.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Wed 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Can I give a suggestion, M-dude? Try walking first until you no pain in the foot. The increase the pace of the walking. Then, if things are okay, then move to jogging or running. I would suggest that you take your time and allow the foot to heal and then to adapt.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 25, 2011 6:29 am

mindflipper wrote:Can I give a suggestion, M-dude? Try walking first until you no pain in the foot. The increase the pace of the walking. Then, if things are okay, then move to jogging or running. I would suggest that you take your time and allow the foot to heal and then to adapt.
Dr. Amy agrees with Dr. mindflipper! If you push it too fast, you might no more damage and set yourself back further :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Thu 25, 2011 9:32 am

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Can I give a suggestion, M-dude? Try walking first until you no pain in the foot. The increase the pace of the walking. Then, if things are okay, then move to jogging or running. I would suggest that you take your time and allow the foot to heal and then to adapt.
Dr. Amy agrees with Dr. mindflipper! If you push it too fast, you might no more damage and set yourself back further :(
Hmmmmmm, like the sound of being called "Doctor"... 8-) :wink: :mrgreen:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Fri 26, 2011 11:34 am

mindflipper wrote:Hmmmmmm, like the sound of being called "Doctor"... 8-) :wink: :mrgreen:
Yeah, I suppose you do... like Dr. Frankenstein did... like Dr. Jekyll did... :wink: :lol:

My foot pain has subsided to a mere dull discomfort, but I'm worried about what will happen if I run again. Well, there's only one way to find out, so tomorrow morning I'm going to put it to the test. That way if it flares up I'll have all weekend to recover and then decide what to do about it next week.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Fri 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Hmmmmmm, like the sound of being called "Doctor"... 8-) :wink: :mrgreen:
Yeah, I suppose you do... like Dr. Frankenstein did... like Dr. Jekyll did... :wink: :lol:
Yeh, everyone knocks the visionary pioneers! But where would Mad Scientists be today without'em, eh?

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Sep Thu 08, 2011 7:35 am

Our Disney trips are one of the reason I have been a successful maintainer! With each trip, I get back in to shape (as best as I can LOL) and I feel great!! A bonus would be a Disney trip centered around a runDisney event!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 08, 2011 12:17 pm

laurie5658 wrote:Our Disney trips are one of the reason I have been a successful maintainer! With each trip, I get back in to shape (as best as I can LOL) and I feel great!! A bonus would be a Disney trip centered around a runDisney event!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you ever been during a running event at Disney?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Thu 08, 2011 10:08 pm

One of my fav. things to do while at Disney is go for a run! :D Even if we're not doing an event, I love to run the grounds. My favs. have been around the Boardwalk and then all around and also at the Poly! Last time I jetted across the street to Shades of Green! Very cool! How often do you get to run with the Monorail passing by overhead! I get goose bumps just thinking about it! :D

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Sun 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Good news and bad news, guys... The good news is that I'm feeling much better after my catastrophic fall in a parking lot. The bad news is that I slipped in the bathtub a couple days ago and slammed my ankle against the edge pretty hard (why am I such a clumsy oaf lately...?! :shock: ), and it's been very painful. But more good news: I've lost a couple more pounds! Also, I'm going running again tomorrow morning, "come h**l or high water" (another Texas-ism, if ya don't know...). I'll post the results. :mrgreen:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sun 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Good news and bad news, guys... The good news is that I'm feeling much better after my catastrophic fall in a parking lot. The bad news is that I slipped in the bathtub a couple days ago and slammed my ankle against the edge pretty hard (why am I such a clumsy oaf lately...?! :shock: ), and it's been very painful. But more good news: I've lost a couple more pounds! Also, I'm going running again tomorrow morning, "come h**l or high water" (another Texas-ism, if ya don't know...). I'll post the results. :mrgreen:
You're in the wrong part of the country right now for high water...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Good news and bad news, guys... The good news is that I'm feeling much better after my catastrophic fall in a parking lot. The bad news is that I slipped in the bathtub a couple days ago and slammed my ankle against the edge pretty hard (why am I such a clumsy oaf lately...?! :shock: ), and it's been very painful. But more good news: I've lost a couple more pounds! Also, I'm going running again tomorrow morning, "come h**l or high water" (another Texas-ism, if ya don't know...). I'll post the results. :mrgreen:
Oh no! :shock: You've got to be more careful M-dude! I hope you're not skipping meals since M-oholic isn't home to cook :?
Do be careful running on a hurt ankle, you don't want to set yourself back.
And thanks for using a phrase I've actually heard a lot in my life! I have to agree with mindflipper though, you might have a bit of a run trying to find the aqua in your part of Texas ;) :lol: