Does your trip planning include getting fit for the MOUSE?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Does your trip planning include getting fit for the MOUSE?

Post by Mouseoholic » Sep Sun 12, 2010 9:08 pm

An important part of trip planning for many of us is getting in shape. Especially for a WDW trip which means losing weight and getting physically fit.
Several of us who will be leaving in a few months for WDW are trying to get in shape for the Mouse. Many of us are shedding those unwanted lbs. In celebration of our efforts, I thought it would be nice to start a thread to share with our fellow Subsonicers our goals, achievements or a place to come for a few words of encouragement on the subject.

Also, everyone can share their tips and suggestions. Such as, is there a special method you have for losing weight? Do you have good, healthy recipe to share with anyone?
ImageImageImage
So what’s your story?

Mouseoholic!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Does your trip planning include getting fit for the MOUS

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Great idea for a thread Mouseoholic! I too would like to be lighter on my feet for traveling down to see the Mouse. So far I have not been very successful :( I exercise well but diet poorly :( :(
I am looking forward to seeing people's tips on here!

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Sep Sun 12, 2010 9:31 pm

I hear you Amy..As stated on another thread but relevant to this one, over the past several years I have had several health issues which have lead to increased weight gain. It has been difficult for me to lose weight. I am what doctors would call metabolically challenged and a very slow metabolizer. Every year for Disney I try to lose weight but it never happens. However, this year is different. With a little discipline and support I am determined to make it happen!

A few days ago I met my first major milestone. I successfully lost 10 lbs. While I have about 70 more lbs to go, I am not a bit discouraged. I am well on my way to achieving my goal.

Thanks to my Sweetie "Mousekedude" for his support and love. When I come home from work I get right to my workout while M-dude starts to cook dinner. I finish my workout and wrap up dinner. I could not do it without him! TEAM WORK!!!

Also, I recently started running. While I am by no means a true runner, amazingly it is a great way to relieve stress and kick up your workout. Thanks to Boilerbabe for her support and encouragement as well!

Mouseoholic!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Sep Mon 13, 2010 8:48 am

Alright Mouseoholic you have inspired me to start running (more like slow jogging). I've been the opposite of Amy. My diet has gotten much better, but I have NO activity whatsoever during the week. I have a sedentary job but I am worn out when I get home and don't feel like working out. But, not anymore! Starting today I am doing some type of exercise everyday. We can do this people!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 13, 2010 8:53 am

NaCler wrote:Alright Mouseoholic you have inspired me to start running (more like slow jogging). I've been the opposite of Amy. My diet has gotten much better, but I have NO activity whatsoever during the week. I have a sedentary job but I am worn out when I get home and don't feel like working out. But, not anymore! Starting today I am doing some type of exercise everyday. We can do this people!!!
You people are very inspiring! Running/slow jogging just isn't in my future...I've got some sort of tendonitis/arthritis going on in one foot right now and my knees have had their issues off and on for a few years. They say that walking is almost as good as running anyhow so I'm hoping that is true. Biking is my other exercise. Duct tape might be the other variable in the equation ~ for taping my mouth shut so food can't get in :lol:
Oh, and maybe a lock for the computer so I can't spend so much time on subsonic :lol:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Sep Mon 13, 2010 9:10 am

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:Alright Mouseoholic you have inspired me to start running (more like slow jogging). I've been the opposite of Amy. My diet has gotten much better, but I have NO activity whatsoever during the week. I have a sedentary job but I am worn out when I get home and don't feel like working out. But, not anymore! Starting today I am doing some type of exercise everyday. We can do this people!!!
You people are very inspiring! Running/slow jogging just isn't in my future...I've got some sort of tendonitis/arthritis going on in one foot right now and my knees have had their issues off and on for a few years. They say that walking is almost as good as running anyhow so I'm hoping that is true. Biking is my other exercise. Duct tape might be the other variable in the equation ~ for taping my mouth shut so food can't get in :lol:
Oh, and maybe a lock for the computer so I can't spend so much time on subsonic :lol:
I have the same issues with my feet, ankles, and knees, so my walking and jogging are not as regular as I'd like.
Here's some duct tape for you (sound of tape ripping off the roll....) :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 13, 2010 9:12 am

Mousekedude wrote:...Here's some duct tape for you (sound of tape ripping off the roll....) :lol:
Gee thanks...mumble, mumble, mumble...Hey! I've got an :idea: aslduiwer, eruiyvn, fdqiuuys bnxv asdf sdkfhs oizub... (I put it on my fingers instead of my mouth! :lol:)

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 13, 2010 3:15 pm

That actually sounds like the people who are losing weight for the Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure. Apparently if your body isn't the right shape or you're too heavy (might not even be the weight) you can't ride becuase the restraints won't close all the way.

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Sep Mon 13, 2010 3:25 pm

AWESOME!!! WE CAN DO IT! I used to say the same thing; “I am just too tired and too busy”. But when I fast forward my life, I don't want to be where I see myself in 5-10 years. For me it is now or never. I am at the point of no return if I keep going this direction. I have to make a change now. Honestly I find that after a good workout I am not even as hungry and willing to eat something simpler than when I get home tired and stressed and give into my desires for a certain meal. I find that I want a more complex meal with tons of carbs or sugar. It is amazing how if you just try it, your body will take care of the rest.

I will admit that since I started exercising I am having some ankle issues but for now it is not slowing me down. You have to listen to your body so if biking or swimming is all you can do then that is at least something. Both are good forms of exercise.

Of course, duct tape is never a bad idea! :lol:

Mouseoholic!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Sep Mon 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That actually sounds like the people who are losing weight for the Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure. Apparently if your body isn't the right shape or you're too heavy (might not even be the weight) you can't ride becuase the restraints won't close all the way.
Unfortunately I have first hand knowledge of this type of stuff. I wasn't able to ride a couple of the rides at KD for this reason. It's just part of the motivation.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Sep Mon 13, 2010 6:35 pm

It's good to hear everyone is trying to drop a couple of lbs. Sounds like many are well on their way!

When I have a trip (not just Disney but especially Disney) I like to make sure I have my legs with me. I try to walk as much as I can to keep my legs from getting tired when I get down there. Usually losing some weight comes with that. This summer I have golfed quite a bit. I always try to walk (some places make you take a cart to keep play moving quicker and they can squeeze in more foursomes for more $$$). I went down in January this past year. I would take walks through Boston during my lunch for about the six weeks leading up to the trip. Cold and windy. Little did I know it would be perfect preparation for my trip as it was cold and windy the week I was down there!

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Sep Mon 13, 2010 9:50 pm

kcarts wrote:It's good to hear everyone is trying to drop a couple of lbs. Sounds like many are well on their way!

When I have a trip (not just Disney but especially Disney) I like to make sure I have my legs with me. I try to walk as much as I can to keep my legs from getting tired when I get down there. Usually losing some weight comes with that. This summer I have golfed quite a bit. I always try to walk (some places make you take a cart to keep play moving quicker and they can squeeze in more foursomes for more $$$). I went down in January this past year. I would take walks through Boston during my lunch for about the six weeks leading up to the trip. Cold and windy. Little did I know it would be perfect preparation for my trip as it was cold and windy the week I was down there!
So true kcarts…I don't think first timers realize how much walking you do at Disney. When we go, we eat like kings and still manage to lose weight while there. You really do have to get in shape and find your Disney Legs (pun on Sea Legs). On our last trip I was seriously out of shape, more than in past trips and I suffered. I spent 2 days over the course of our trip in the hotel room and even missed my Segway tour :( . I had to rent a cart because I started to have circulation issues. I had red spots on my legs, they were swollen. I just could not walk another step.

M-dude went and spoke with a CM who got a nurse to come down and chat with him about what could possibly be going on. She basically said I was not drinking enough water, was dehydrated and that almost all Disney food is full of sodium. She said they see this all the time. I know she is right because when I went to London last year I also did tons of walking and had the same problem. I even went to Bath and made the mistake of drinking the “miracle water”. It had so much sodium in it that by the time we got back to the hotel my legs were twice their normal size. Scary…. :shock:

So my point is to those reading this thread is, even if you can't go hard core and run or lose weight, just walking to get your legs used to walking/standing for long periods of time will go a long way to helping you enjoy your trip.

P.S. Drink tons of water!! You can get dehydrated even in cool weather.

Mouseoholic!

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Sep Mon 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That actually sounds like the people who are losing weight for the Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure. Apparently if your body isn't the right shape or you're too heavy (might not even be the weight) you can't ride becuase the restraints won't close all the way.
I think I saw something today stating that they have added a few new ride vehicles to help alleviate this issue.

Mouseoholic!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 14, 2010 5:34 am

Mouseoholic wrote:
I think I saw something today stating that they have added a few new ride vehicles to help alleviate this issue.
Mouseoholic!
That is interesting. I did actually read the guy's blog about losing weight so he could ride Harry Potter...and it sounds like he was not the only one that was shaped differently enough so as to not fit into the seat restraints.

trekty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by trekty » Sep Tue 14, 2010 9:48 am

I started walking (trying to everyday after work) just to get used to the increase in walking. I have lost a few pounds doing so, and try to eat healthy. I found some Dr. Scholl's inserts (for arthritis in knees/back) that help a lot with the knee pain I always feel when walking, they will be taking the trip with me. :)
Nancie
Any day above ground is a good one