What do you do to get your family in the Mood?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

LITTLEBIT
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

What do you do to get your family in the Mood?

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Mon 02, 2010 8:02 pm

My DH and DSs like Disney but I'm the huge Disney lover in our family. I've been planning out October 2010 trip since I last went in 2007. So today I was thinking to get everyone in the mood for vacation, we'd have a Disney World themed family night a week before we go. I thought we could play our Disney Scene It game, I'd make Mickey Shaped pretzels and other snacks, I'd give the kids copies of the parks' maps and a highlighter to circle what they want to do, and listen to subsonic.

And then I started wondering what everyone else does? How do you spread the pixie dust?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: What do you do to get your family in the Mood?

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 03, 2010 6:46 am

LITTLEBIT wrote:My DH and DSs like Disney but I'm the huge Disney lover in our family. I've been planning out October 2010 trip since I last went in 2007. So today I was thinking to get everyone in the mood for vacation, we'd have a Disney World themed family night a week before we go. I thought we could play our Disney Scene It game, I'd make Mickey Shaped pretzels and other snacks, I'd give the kids copies of the parks' maps and a highlighter to circle what they want to do, and listen to subsonic.

And then I started wondering what everyone else does? How do you spread the pixie dust?
Never thought about doing something like this...what an awesome idea to get everyone pumped up and ready to go! I bet the your sons really enjoy something special like this :mickey:

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Tue 03, 2010 8:44 am

Amy wrote: Never thought about doing something like this...what an awesome idea to get everyone pumped up and ready to go! I bet the your sons really enjoy something special like this :mickey:
Thanks. It just kind of came to me today because I was thinking of how we wanted to sit the boys down before vacation and cover a few things. So I figured we might as well have some fun with it too!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 03, 2010 9:24 am

LITTLEBIT wrote:
Amy wrote: Never thought about doing something like this...what an awesome idea to get everyone pumped up and ready to go! I bet the your sons really enjoy something special like this :mickey:
Thanks. It just kind of came to me today because I was thinking of how we wanted to sit the boys down before vacation and cover a few things. So I figured we might as well have some fun with it too!
How old are your children?

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Tue 03, 2010 9:51 am

Amy wrote:
LITTLEBIT wrote:
How old are your children?
One is 12 and he's been a few times and the other one is 5. The youngest has only ever been to DL and then he was 5 mos old and the Disney Store in NYC before it was closed. He is my Disney Boy though. The older one likes it but he doesn't get into the characters or anything while the 5 year old wants to watch every parade, every firework show and meet every character.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Tue 03, 2010 10:28 am

I keep a countdown and every few days I will email my sons (they are old enough to have email) with the # of days left.
All the email says is the # of days left. They know what it means.
Or we will talk about what we are going to do first at each park.
Sometimes I will ask them if we've ever been on a certain ride, knowing that we have, so I can hear them tell the story about our last trip (or whenever) and watch them get excited for the next one.
Now my wife...hubboy...there's no getting her excited (to go to Disney that is---PG13 board!!!)...except maybe being off of work while we are gone. :)

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Tue 03, 2010 11:55 am

Getting them in the mood?! Heck... we're never out of the mood! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if I had to do that, I imagine playing Subsonic all the time would help.... :wink:

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Tue 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Getting them in the mood?! Heck... we're never out of the mood! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if I had to do that, I imagine playing Subsonic all the time would help.... :wink:
I think my hubby would love to delete my subsonic account if he could so that I wouldn't listen anymore. Especially now that I turn it on whenever I'm not sitting down in front of the TV.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Tue 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Yeah, any time we're not busy with something else, we have Subsonic playing throughout the house. I figured that's why we're always in a Disney mood, and it just keeps feeding on itself. :D

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Tue 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Yeah, any time we're not busy with something else, we have Subsonic playing throughout the house. I figured that's why we're always in a Disney mood, and it just keeps feeding on itself. :D
I listen whenever I'm cleaning, cooking or sewing which is how I spend a lot of my off time. The music is so relaxing to me because it makes me think of our upcoming vacation or I'll hear something I remember as a kid. However it seems like whenever the DH walks in and hears it, it's something obsure and he just thinks it's odd.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Wed 04, 2010 12:05 am

Hmm I don't know how to get people in the "mood" as I am always in the mood to go to WDW. However, I know what I tend to do to boost and contain my excitement. Get the vacation planning DVD. It is really a great thing to watch about a week or two before going. It helps to mount the excitement. Another thing to do is increase the amount of time you listen to subsonic. The music really helps get you in the Disney Mood. I like the idea of the Disney Scene it and having the kids highlight maps.

With all this in place, you should be good to go!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Wed 04, 2010 2:16 am

When we took my mum and dad. Joe made up backgrounds from the films and edited how many days to go on them. We booked about nine months out so we had quite a few and we E-mailed them one at the end of every week, we had specials for Christmas day, by the time we went to the airport my mum was over excited and then as we stay at the airport hotel overnight at this end I took my Disney trivial pursuit. Traveling next day was like traveling with a child you know the routine "are we nearly there yet" but then she had never been on holiday, Disney was her first real holiday and we had a blast.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 04, 2010 6:59 am

Sleepy90 wrote:When we took my mum and dad. Joe made up backgrounds from the films and edited how many days to go on them. We booked about nine months out so we had quite a few and we E-mailed them one at the end of every week, we had specials for Christmas day, by the time we went to the airport my mum was over excited and then as we stay at the airport hotel overnight at this end I took my Disney trivial pursuit. Traveling next day was like traveling with a child you know the routine "are we nearly there yet" but then she had never been on holiday, Disney was her first real holiday and we had a blast.
How exciting that you put so much effort into making the trip special for your parents. I can just imagine your Mom being so excited that she could barely sleep :ccat:

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Thu 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:When we took my mum and dad. Joe made up backgrounds from the films and edited how many days to go on them. We booked about nine months out so we had quite a few and we E-mailed them one at the end of every week, we had specials for Christmas day, by the time we went to the airport my mum was over excited and then as we stay at the airport hotel overnight at this end I took my Disney trivial pursuit. Traveling next day was like traveling with a child you know the routine "are we nearly there yet" but then she had never been on holiday, Disney was her first real holiday and we had a blast.
That sounds awesome! :hm_ghost:

LITTLEBIT

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Sat 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Len90 wrote:Hmm I don't know how to get people in the "mood" as I am always in the mood to go to WDW. However, I know what I tend to do to boost and contain my excitement. Get the vacation planning DVD. It is really a great thing to watch about a week or two before going. It helps to mount the excitement. Another thing to do is increase the amount of time you listen to subsonic. The music really helps get you in the Disney Mood. I like the idea of the Disney Scene it and having the kids highlight maps.

With all this in place, you should be good to go!
That reminds me! I need to dig it out and have it ready to go in the DVD player. I'll have the kids watch it before they work on their maps.