We've decided to stay at Disney's Swan next year. Opinions?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

We've decided to stay at Disney's Swan next year. Opinions?

Post by WVParkfan » Nov Fri 06, 2009 10:42 am

I just love the location, and could NOT beat the price (less than a moderate).

We know that the Swan & Dolphin are not on the dining plan (we don't do the dining plan anyway), and that they don't offer ME (we drive, so that's not a concern).

I'd like to hear from anyone who has stayed there. Any tips? First piece of advice I was given was to get ice cream at Peaches & Cream at the Beach Club.

Any other advice?
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Fri 06, 2009 11:19 am

Swan is managed by the Starwood Resorts chain, and not Disney. It explains why it and the Dolphin doesn't pop up on the Disney hotel reservation app on their website. But, you're right, you can get good deals with the Swan and Dolphin, especially if you go through the Starwood website.

If you don't want to walk all the way to the Beach Club for ice cream, the Dolphin has its own ice cream parlor on ground level rear (the back of both the Swan and Dolphin face each other). Turn left upon entering. And if you walk around the ice cream parlor, take a left, then a right (if I remember correctly) and it takes you to a cafeteria/convenience store area. You can purchase many of snack items here (although it would be cheaper to purchase these same item off property at a Target or Publix). But if you forget some personal hygeine items or OTC meds, you can get it there.

Personally, I prefer the Swan over Dolphin. Dolphin during the winter has a poor heating system, so the rooms can be cold on really cold nights. Swan did not have that problem.

Also, on the ground level near their restaurant they have a window that looks into their bakery area. It's fun to watch some of the things they bake up when the bakery area is full operations.

Have any specific questions you want to ask?

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Nov Fri 06, 2009 11:21 am

Great location indeed - despite having 5 hotels/resorts there is a quiet peaceful feel when you are there. You've already hit on the 2 cons from me but since they aren't relevant to you then looks like you hit the jackpot.

Beaches n Cream is a must do, I'll bet you are there more than once too. Make sure to head over to the Boardwalk Bakery in the morning - great way to start the day. Also, Cape May Cafe (Beach Club resort) has character breakfast, and dinner is a clam bake (no characters). If you want a quiet dinner, head over to the Yachtsman Steakhouse (Yacht Club Resort).

You'll enjoy entering EPCOT through International Gateway, never a line and gets you right to the World Showcase, make sure to grab a pint at the UK pavilion.

Hope you have a great time!

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Nov Fri 06, 2009 11:50 am

You're absolutely right about the location.

I never put much stock in which hotel or resort I stay in. As long it's clean and comfortable (which all of them are) it's fine with me. I don't spend much time at the room anyway.

It's part of what I love about WDW. You can stay at Pop Century but walk around the Boardwalk or Beach Club or Polynesian like you own the place!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Fri 06, 2009 1:41 pm

The only thing that I think might be the biggest difference for you is that your room key will not be your park ticket. Other than that you have the Friendships to EPCOT and DHS and Disney Transport buses to all the other stuff.

The downside to me for this hotel though is that it IS NOT a Disney owned resort as mentioned earlier. The room will not have all those cool little hidden mickey's and that great Disney theming to it.

Also, try and request a room higher up. You might get a nice view of one of the parks!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Fri 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Len90 wrote: Also, try and request a room higher up. You might get a nice view of one of the parks!
Last time I stayed there I had a room that I could see the TZ ToT to my right, and World Showcase to my left. I could see the fireworks for Illuminations, just couldn't hear the music.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Fri 06, 2009 3:04 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote: Also, try and request a room higher up. You might get a nice view of one of the parks!
Last time I stayed there I had a room that I could see the TZ ToT to my right, and World Showcase to my left. I could see the fireworks for Illuminations, just couldn't hear the music.
That is one of the major pros to staying in the Epcot Resort area. For the past two years we had rooms in the Yacht Club that probably had a view of the Illuminations fireworks. However, we were never in the room that early to see if that was indeed the case. For some reason when you are in Disney the hotel room really doesn't matter if you want to spend a lot of time at the parks. The biggest thing that really plays a major role for my hotel selection is the pool. I am just too lazy to get on a bus to go to a waterpark but I still want a decent sized pool with a slide.

Like I have always said, any room on Disney property is better than a room not on Disney property. The Swan and Dolphin are excellent since they give you almost all of the disney resort amenities at a far lower cost.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 06, 2009 3:05 pm

We've stayed at the Swan 10 or 12 times. I love the Swan!! It's right at the Boardwalk, a short walk to EPCOT (if you get a good room you can see some of the fireworks.), and it's not that far from MGM (yes I still call it MGM). You're gonna love it! Oh yea the pool has a cave. 8-) :wink:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Nov Tue 10, 2009 9:13 am

the decor inside is very modern, it is in a very good position from both Epcot and Disney Studios all within a short boat ride, bus ride or a walk if you want the exercise. The company that run the resorts say there are 17 restaurants in the swan and dolphin? also there are loads of restaurants to choose from all nearby including those of the boardwalk, yacht and the beach club . Because you're in an area of 5 hotels you can take advantage of what the others offer as well. you are also right near the fantasia golf courses and the boardwalk entertainment area. I don't know if they will do the same next year but this year they were also screening disney films on the beach near yacht/beach in the evenings if you want something else to do :wink: also if you have an ipod there is application for the swan and dolphin.

emnbensdad
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by emnbensdad » Nov Tue 10, 2009 11:25 am

I have a convention that I just have to attend next June . . . poor me. It will be at the Swan. I was last there in 2001. I believe the rooms have been updated since then.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Tue 10, 2009 4:53 pm

emnbensdad wrote:I have a convention that I just have to attend next June . . . poor me. It will be at the Swan. I was last there in 2001. I believe the rooms have been updated since then.
Yes they have and the beds are great!! They're great big pillow top mattresses. We always have a wonderful time at the Swan!! It's our favorite!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage