Recent visit to Disneyland/DCA - Space, Subs, Monsters Inc?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recent visit to Disneyland/DCA - Space, Subs, Monsters Inc?

Post by subsonic » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:12 pm

My friend is visiting from out of town. I went with him and his girl to Disneyland/DCA.

While in Disneyland I noticed that everything is looking amazing. The crew is certinally putting in the effort to make everything look fantatic. The murals in Tomorrowland are stunning. I don't usually take the time to stop and look at stuff like murals. This time I did.

Space
Proceeding over to Red Rocket's Pizza Port I had to inspect the new Space Mountain sign. It looks much better in person than I've seen in pictures. And, to verify some rumors. There is the word "Rockit" unlit behind the word "Space". From what I've read, Space Mountain at night will have different effects, different soundtrack, and be called "Rockit Mountain". Though, this might not go into effect later in the year. Here are some pics I found at mouseplanet.com of the queue

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... /HALL1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... DHALL2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... GHALL3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... DHALL3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/ ... NEWSM1.jpg

Subs
Walls are up all around the Submarine Lagoon. I've heard Disney is draining the lagoon for touchup work and perhaps preparing for a Finding Nemo attraction. I believe that the Nemo attraction will appear much later and Disney is simply doing touchup work to the lagoon for the 50th. I can't imagine them having the walls up during that time.

Monsters Inc.
I was at DCA yesterday and happened to look at the old Superstar Limo attrraction. I was wow'ed to see that it looked different. There were all these white boards up in the silhouette of a city. I had to walk over and look. Upon further inspection there were pencil sketches on the boards that looked like Monsters from Monsters Inc. Looks like our rumers have been confirmed. There better be a lot of money dumped into this project. Let's not have another Winnit the Pooh with cardboard cutouts.

It's exciting to see so many changes, upgrades, and additions. The breath is starting to come back to Disney as we remember it.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Great report, sub! You've got me even more excited for my trip out there in May. Too bad I'll miss the new Space Mountain by a couple months. :(

All the more reason to start planning our first family vacation out there as soon as we can! :wink:

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:33 pm

Gracias Sub! Great to hear about Monsters [what is up with Millionaire's building next door?] and the sub lagoon. And very interesting ideas with Space Mountain during the different times of day...
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Apr Mon 11, 2005 12:43 pm

isn't the big day may 5th ?

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Mon 11, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks for a trip report and posting those images. I'm going for the May5th celebration, but that seems soo far away from now!!

Yeah, May 5 is the beginning of the 50th anniversary celebration, but Space Mountain won't be open until July :(.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Dsnyprincess73

Post by Dsnyprincess73 » Apr Fri 22, 2005 4:25 pm

:D
I am so excited about the 50th anniversary! I will be there at 3 in the morning.
I can not wait everything really is looking so beautiful and I am so glad that they cleaned up the Tiki Room. It looks beautiful

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Fri 22, 2005 5:03 pm

Dsnyprincess73 wrote::D
I am so excited about the 50th anniversary! I will be there at 3 in the morning.
I can not wait everything really is looking so beautiful and I am so glad that they cleaned up the Tiki Room. It looks beautiful
3 in the morning?!! Wow; that's hardcore. Makes me wonder when I should line up on the big day.

ps. Welcome to the forums! :D

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Gizmata » Apr Sun 24, 2005 11:53 pm

No idea how true, but I read on some board that the Nemo Submarine is supposed to open fall 2006? Something about being open for proms. Forgot where I read that though.

Seems really stuipd to put up ugly walls all over tomorrowland just in time for the big celebration. :\

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Mon 25, 2005 2:15 am

Gizmata wrote:No idea how true, but I read on some board that the Nemo Submarine is supposed to open fall 2006? Something about being open for proms. Forgot where I read that though.

Seems really stuipd to put up ugly walls all over tomorrowland just in time for the big celebration. :\
I hope the walls aren't going to be there during the celebration. It would be such an eyesore.

Submarines open for proms? I didn't know you could have prom in Disneyland. I would've loved that.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Mon 25, 2005 7:59 am

Do they still have Grad Night at DL? I loved that, had a blast at mine! Prom night would have been awesome!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Mon 25, 2005 8:36 am

bostoncg wrote:Do they still have Grad Night at DL? I loved that, had a blast at mine! Prom night would have been awesome!
I'm not sure about DL, but they definitely still have Grad Night at WDW. It's gotten so popular that they host the event on 3-4 separate nights in May, to ensure everyone who wants to come can have the opportunity.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Apr Mon 25, 2005 8:41 am

Back in 1976 when I graduated :shock: our school had to pick from certain days to attend. I was so cool cause the park was closed to the public and open only for Grad night. I do remember the LONGGGGGG bus ride home as my school was down in the Imperial Valley, like 3 hrs away from DL. It was ok on the ride up there cause you were so excited but on the way home it was a tad uncomfortable. But well worth it. I actually still have my photo taken that night. SCARY! Have you seen 'That 70's Show" well that was me, hairstyle and bell bottoms!! YIKES!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Apr Mon 25, 2005 1:30 pm

I remember when my school had Grad Night at Disneyland. I didn't go because none of my friends wanted to come with me!! It's all about the people you go with!

Unless you're totally hardcore and go by yourself no matter what.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

AlexLoup
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by AlexLoup » May Sun 01, 2005 10:21 pm

I went to Grad Nite at Disneyland in 2002... by myself. That was a blast! No kids to listen to whine. I loved it, Linkin Park was at the Aladdin's Oasis all night. That was the first time I was at Californis Adventure.
I've gone full circle on my avatars.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » May Mon 02, 2005 3:09 am

AlexLoup wrote:I went to Grad Nite at Disneyland in 2002... by myself. That was a blast! No kids to listen to whine. I loved it, Linkin Park was at the Aladdin's Oasis all night. That was the first time I was at Californis Adventure.
Wait, you mean the band Linkin Park was at Disneyland?

Oh, and "Welcome Home."