Planning my 1st visit to WDW. HELP is needed.

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wuzefelix

Planning my 1st visit to WDW. HELP is needed.

Post by Wuzefelix » Apr Sun 10, 2005 8:33 am

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there!

As some of you already know: I am german, and have visited Disneyland Resort Paris for several times.
Now, I am planning my first visit to WDW :-).
Possible dates are: october 2005, april 2006 and summer 2006

I am going to stay there for 14 days, or perhaps a little bit longer to spent 3 or 4 days at Universal. What du you think how many days do I need to explore all the themeparks, 2 of the water parks, and the miniature golf course?

Staying at WDW for such a long time is expensive, and the flight from germany is, too. Going there in october 2005 or april 2006 seems to be cheaper. But I have to see all those great shows like Spectromagic Parade, Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic and so on. Is there a calendar aviable, showing when this takes place?

The hotel: I think the design of the Allstar Resorts and the Pop century is awful. It is just the opinion I got after viewing videos and photos of it. So I would enjoy staying at a moderate resort. Is Coronado Springs a good choice? Or do you have a better tip for me :-) ?

Can I book dinner shows like the whoop dee doo show or the polynesian luau even if I don't stay at those hotels? At DLRP it is a secret tip to stay at a less expensive hotel, but spend the evening at a restaurant and bar at a better hotel. Is that possible at WDW, too?
I would also enjoy having my breakfast for one special day at chef mickey's at Contemporary Resort. Impossible?
And is it possible to book the "Sunrise Safari" even if i am not going to stay at AKL?

Where can I book the MK backstage tour?

I know that these are many questions, but my local travel agency can only sell something not knowing what exactly it is. And disneyworld.com wasn't a big help for me. They don't ship the VPV to europe, even if i would pay the shipping costs.

Can anybody try to answer at least some of these questions? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

By the way: Is a small Disney Cruise Line Trip achievable for normal people? I think it might be too expensive ;-).

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Apr Sun 10, 2005 9:53 am

Wow - you're going to have a great time. Lots of questions - I've been there in November a number of times which is about the same as the October time-span when it comes to park schedules...

Weather, Oct and April are mild but summers are hot and humid. I would also suggest April 2006 because it will be in the 50th Anniv. celebration and all new rides, inc. Expedition Everest should be running.

Shows: All should be playing, usually 3-7 times a week depending on park hours, etc. Basically all you listed except SpectroMagic tends to be nightly in the winter season - SpectroMagic is usually a few times a week.

Waterparks - only in the summer are both open, one is usually down for repairs [and due to light crowds] in the off season.

I would recommend a couple days per park [AK is more one day than two days]. A day for exploring the resorts and mini-golf is good [build in more time to do all three courses]. I've combined a water park and Downtown Disney in a day as well since you can only get so water logged!

Moderate Resorts - I like the layout of Port Orleans a lot, it is also quite authentic after having been to New Orleans.

Chef Mickey, the Luau, etc. can all be done even if not staying at that resort - and I think all of those reservations can be made with their dining hotline [the number evades me right now - 407-WDW-Dine I believe...]

Tours can also be arranged all in one place but again, I can't remember the number for that.

I know I missed stuff but no doubt others can help out.
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Sun 10, 2005 9:06 pm

As far as when to go, I've always gone in Summer, as it's fairly slow/cheap dueing the month of August (mid-to-late August), into September. Be advised that it does get fairly hot/humid during the summer. And, in summer, without fail, it will rain for about 10 - 15 minutes each and every day.

14 days should be more than enough time to explore every park including Universal Studios. As far as time to spend in each park, there's a website I've come across that gives a decent gauge of time to spend in each park. basically, for MK, leave 1 1/2 - 2 days to explore. for EPCOT, it says you can do most attractions in about 3/4 of a day, however, I recommend 1 1/2 - 2 to play around in the different pavillions. MGM Studios I'd say 3/4 - 1 day to do all that's there. AK you can do in 1/2 - 1 day if you take your time. Water parks can take a full day or two. and you can do every golf course on property within a day or 2.

I, myself, have never stayed on Disney property (yet) so I couldn't tell you about how a Moderate Resort would rate. If you stay off Disney property (such as a Days Inn), you can get a great rate, transportation to/from Disney Property, free continental breakfast, etc.

Dinner Shows you can make reservations and in fact it's recommended on the Official website that you should reserve early. Chef Mickey's Breakfast (or dinner) cancan also be reserved, and once again it is recommended that you reserve early. For all dining reservations call (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463), or talk to a WDW representative at (407) WDI-SNEY (934-7639) if/when you make reservations for hotel/air/etc.

for shows - Spectromagic is just listed as "On Special Nights", which to me says they'll do it on nights when there's the Extra Magic Hours (EMH), which seems to be every Wednesday and Friday according to the WDW official website. Wishes seems to be every night, however nothing is said about special nights or anything (and all the parks have a nightly fireworks show, besides AK). Illuminations and Fantasmic seem to be the same as Wishes (every night). Word of advise for Fantasmic, get there EARLY. They say to get in line about an hour before the show, however even within the hour, it may be sold out.

for the MK tour (or ANY tour, for that matter), you can make reservations at Guest Relations (either in the hotel lobby or within the park itself) or by calling (407) WDW-TOUR (407) 939-8687. Although, I couldn't find any information on the Sunrise Safari for AK at all, so I'd suggest calling and asking about it.

Disney Cruise lines is an entirely different beast. I've never been myself, however I too, have heard it's very expensive to do, and when you're already planning airfare to/from Germany, plus 14+ days, I'd advise against it this trip unless you have alot of money to waste...

hope this helps in some small way... :D
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

bigboodah71
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by bigboodah71 » Apr Sun 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Just a few thoughts.

Port Orleans is quite nice ( I prefer the look of the French Quarter). Coronado Springs is so far removed from any of the parks that the bus rides are quite lengthy. Carribean Beach Hotel: the last time I stayed there it was quite delapidated looking, but that was in 2001.

Also take part of 1 day and just visit different hotels in the park.
I think some of the best architecture and theme in WDW is in the hotels.

As far as time of the year, I would think that mid to late april is one of the better times. Early April still gets some Spring Break crowds. October is nice but there are times when WDW is inundated with Brazilian tour groups. Summer is hot and very humid, and the parks are quite crowded.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Remember that no matter when you go or where you stay, you will have the best time of your life!

bigboodah71

Wuzefelix

Post by Wuzefelix » Apr Mon 18, 2005 2:31 pm

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there!

Thank you three very very much!!
I am happy that booking all these extras like the dinner shows, the chef mickeys breakfast and so on is so easy :). I am going to do that trip in April 2006.

Are there any schedules for the park opening hours, the fireworks and spectromagic aviable?

At www.disneyworld.com it is not possible, to book a 14 day trip with "magic your way flex" tickets. But 14 days "room only" is possible. Now, i found out that a 7 days "magic your way flex ticket" with Hopping option and + option is more expensive than the Premium Annual Pass :o.
Do you think, booking 14 days "room only" and buying a Premium Annual Pass (548,49$[?]) is clever? Does anybody has got a (Premium) Annual Pass, and can tell me if i would have any disadvantage if I would book the "room only" with a Premium Annual Passport?
And the most important: Does "Room-only" in the United States mean: Room with breakfast, or without breakfast?

I just found out that for Annual Passport Holders, there are special discounts for the Rooms at some of the Disney Hotels. I would buy my Annual Passport the day I arrive at WDW, but I book the room several months earlyer. So I need to now the details about these special discounts so that I could use the discounted rates. Is that possible?

If I would buy the Annual Pass, I could book another Trip 11 month after my first visit to Disney World. Then I could book the DaysInn Hotel (Which one is the one I have to choose for Disneyworld?) and could have the chance for a very cheap 2nd Visit to WDW :D.

And a last question:
Perhaps, I can afford the Wilderness Lodge Resort. Which advantages would I have if i stayed at the concierge level?

Thanks for your very helpful Answers and for your great suggestions!

bigboodah71

Post by bigboodah71 » Apr Tue 19, 2005 3:40 pm

Hello, I think you have picked an excellent time to go! As far as planning your vacation... I always use www.mouseearvacations.com ( Pam Schuck)
She always gets a fair deal, and suggests cheaper ways of getting things. I think the Annual pass idea is a great one.

As far as concierge level goes, All i know is that usually they do have a continental breakfast in the morning and some small finger snacks at bedtime. I think they also turn down your covers for you. This is all just from reading though as I have never stayed in a concierge level room.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_wl.htm

Annual Pass information:
http://allearsnet.com/pl/apass.htm

bigboodah71

lovesdisney44
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Planning my 1st visit to WDW. HELP is needed.

Post by lovesdisney44 » Apr Sun 24, 2005 10:38 pm

Wuzefelix" - I'll just answer a few of your questions as I see you have gotten other responses.

If you go in October, the weather will be beautiful and the Wine and Food Festival is excellent, plus you can also get in Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party.

We've stayed to Coronado Springs and LOVED it! Great atmosphere, great buses, and great pool (and food court)! Check out websites such as wdwinfo.com as they'll have endless information for you on their websites!

Good luck, and have a wonderful time planning your trip!

Wuzefelix

Post by Wuzefelix » Apr Sat 30, 2005 8:05 am

Hey there Hi there Ho there!

bigboodah71 and lovesdinsey44, THANK YOU very much for the excellent links. The websites are great, and offer so much information :-).

And Thank you at all of you again, with your help i am going to have a wonderful time.

Greetings, Wuzefelix

lovesdisney44
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by lovesdisney44 » Apr Sat 30, 2005 9:45 am

[quote="Wuzefelix"]Hey there Hi there Ho there!

bigboodah71 and lovesdinsey44, THANK YOU very much for the excellent links. The websites are great, and offer so much information :-).

And Thank you at all of you again, with your help i am going to have a wonderful time.

Greetings, Wuzefelix[/quote]

My pleasure. :wink:

MateoJD
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by MateoJD » Apr Sat 30, 2005 3:04 pm

For the new WDW goer, I'd usually reccommend:

2 days for Magic Kingdom
2 days for Epcot
1 1/2 days for MGM
1 day for Animal Kingdom

Skip out on the other non-Disney parks around Disney World. I've been to each of them once, and once is enough.

Good luck, and have a great time!

jkm8113

Post by jkm8113 » May Mon 02, 2005 7:32 pm

My only comment is that after staying at Coronado Springs a couple of times, you feel a bit removed from The Magic, so to speak. The Caribbean Beach is closer to Downtown Disney and the parks than Coronado is. Caribbean was also the first moderate, and the rooms are a big bigger. Coronado is a convention hotel and is very, very spread out. If it were my first visit, I would be wishing I was closer to the action.

rcpratt3

Post by rcpratt3 » May Mon 09, 2005 3:47 pm

If you are looking at a moderate resort, I would pick Carribbean Beach. I love the theme here. It is so cheerful & upbeat, yet relaxing. You can listen to the music from the Little Mermaid while eating & shopping.

I would take 2 days for MK & Epcot, and 1 full day for MGM. AK & mini-golf in one day, 1 water park & DTD in one day, and 1 day for the other water park & maybe a dinner show like Hoop Dee Doo.

You do not have to stay on property to go to any of the dinner shows or restaurants in the Disney resort hotels, but you do have to stay at AKL for the sunrise safari.

lovesdisney44
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by lovesdisney44 » May Mon 09, 2005 6:33 pm

[quote="rcpratt3"]If you are looking at a moderate resort, I would pick Carribbean Beach. I love the theme here. It is so cheerful & upbeat, yet relaxing. You can listen to the music from the Little Mermaid while eating & shopping.

I would take 2 days for MK & Epcot, and 1 full day for MGM. AK & mini-golf in one day, 1 water park & DTD in one day, and 1 day for the other water park & maybe a dinner show like Hoop Dee Doo.

You do not have to stay on property to go to any of the dinner shows or restaurants in the Disney resort hotels, but you do have to stay at AKL for the sunrise safari.[/quote]

Yes, you do have to stay at AKL for the Sunrise Safari, but it's not open to all resort guests, only those that are staying on the concierge level.