Upcoming Disneyland vacation

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Upcoming Disneyland vacation

Post by kgmadorin » Mar Mon 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Hello everyone! This is my first post as a Subsonic listener, and I'm delighted that I've found such a unique and wonderful website. Now I can stream Disney magic right into my computer while I work. :D

I'm hoping some of you on the west coast can help with with my upcoming vacation. This May we're heading out to Anaheim to visit Disneyland during the 50th celebration. I visited Disneyland about five years ago, but Downtown Disney and California Adventure were still under construction. I'd love it if anyone who is familiar with the Disneyland Resort could give me just one great tip/secret/suggestion for seeing the new resort complex to make this trip extra-special.

Also, we're planning on staying at Carousel Inn & Suites on Harbor Boulevard, so I'd like to hear any positive or negative comments about it.

Thank you all very much! Only 79 more days until Mint Juleps at the Blue Bayou! I can't wait!

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: Upcoming Disneyland vacation

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Mar Mon 07, 2005 9:07 pm

kgmadorin wrote:Hello everyone! This is my first post as a Subsonic listener, and I'm delighted that I've found such a unique and wonderful website. Now I can stream Disney magic right into my computer while I work. :D

I'm hoping some of you on the west coast can help with with my upcoming vacation. This May we're heading out to Anaheim to visit Disneyland during the 50th celebration. I visited Disneyland about five years ago, but Downtown Disney and California Adventure were still under construction. I'd love it if anyone who is familiar with the Disneyland Resort could give me just one great tip/secret/suggestion for seeing the new resort complex to make this trip extra-special.

Also, we're planning on staying at Carousel Inn & Suites on Harbor Boulevard, so I'd like to hear any positive or negative comments about it.

Thank you all very much! Only 79 more days until Mint Juleps at the Blue Bayou! I can't wait!
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Let's see, if I would give out just one tip, it would be to: plan your day wisely and stay hydrated. But that goes without saying. Oh, and if you can help it, plan the trip so that when you're there, all the attractions are open.

Are you also going to CA Adventure?

I've never stayed at the Carousel Inn & Suites, but I'm sure someone here has.

Well I hope that helps.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

kgmadorin

Re: Upcoming Disneyland vacation

Post by kgmadorin » Mar Tue 08, 2005 9:02 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote: Let's see, if I would give out just one tip, it would be to: plan your day wisely and stay hydrated. But that goes without saying. Oh, and if you can help it, plan the trip so that when you're there, all the attractions are open.

Are you also going to CA Adventure?

Thanks for the tip, Lion Sleeps Tonight! We're lucky in that we'll have five full days to explore Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney. Our trip starts on May 26, so as far as I can tell the only major attraction that will be down is Space Mountain.

We're planning on hitting the parks early, taking a break mid-day to go swimming and relax, and then heading back in the late afternoon. Carousel Inn is one of the closest motels to the main entrance, so if we end up staying there it will be nice and convenient to stop in for a quick nap or soak in the pool.

Thanks again!

...78 days and counting...

QuickGold
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by QuickGold » Mar Tue 08, 2005 11:24 am

Glad to see a fellow Connecticut-er on these boards
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Tue 08, 2005 12:27 pm

Lion, that's like saying, "Be sure to use your feet to walk around the park." LOL :)

kgmadorin:
Welcome to the forums!

How many days are you staying? It can really make a difference. If you're not familar with going to Disney parks my first suggestion would be to visit rides during parades. The lines will be shorter.

The parks are the least busy at opening and closing. Since you are staying nearby, I would take things slow during the afternoon. Leave the park and spend some time at the pool. Southern California gets very hot. So it'll be good get away from the park during high noon. This will leave you with more energy to stay late.

If you plan on eating at the Blue Bayou you should go for lunch. It's cheaper and they have the Monte Cristo Sandwich which isn't available for dinner.

These are my basic tips... if you want more just ask.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Mar Tue 08, 2005 1:24 pm

QuickGold wrote:Glad to see a fellow Connecticut-er on these boards
Thanks, QuickGold! I'm not a native, though. Grew up outside Chicago and then moved to Orlando where I worked for Mickey for five years. A new career opportunity brought me up this way.

Again, thanks for the welcome, and I'm also a great admirer of your websites.
subsonic wrote:Welcome to the forums! How many days are you staying? It can really make a difference. If you're not familar with going to Disney parks my first suggestion would be to visit rides during parades. The lines will be shorter.
Thank you very much, Mr. Webmaster! I'm delighted to be here.

Perhaps I should give just a wee bit of my background: As a Cast Member at Walt Disney World, I worked as a Magic Kingdom Guest Relations Host, Keys to the Kingdom Tour Guide and Disney Special Activities VIP Guide, so I know WDW inside and out. My problem is that I've spent all my time on the east coast and none out west. Though I've read oodles of literature on Disneyland, I've only had one brief visit to Disneyland Park and I've never set foot in CA or Downtown Disney.

What I'm really trying to do is pick your brains to learn those secrets that only true Disneyland Junkies know about.

Subsonic, once again, thank you very much for this site. It's outstanding to say the least.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Mar Tue 08, 2005 6:05 pm

kgmadorin wrote:

What I'm really trying to do is pick your brains to learn those secrets that only true Disneyland Junkies know about.
Haha;I see. Well I'm (not so)far from a Disneyland Junkie, so I can't help you out with 'secrets.'

Well I guess something convenient(for you) would be putting a blanket/tarp/towel/some kind of thing that says, 'this space is reserved 4 mah peeps' while waiting for Fantasmic to start. I've noticed that now more and more people just set out blankets right at the front in the seating area for Fantasmic. This way groups 'keep' a place for their party while only one person sits there and waits. I actually find that kind of annoying, but whatever.
Lion, that's like saying, "Be sure to use your feet to walk around the park." LOL
Haha...well.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by sockfire » Mar Tue 08, 2005 9:39 pm

subsonic wrote:If you plan on eating at the Blue Bayou you should go for lunch. It's cheaper and they have the Monte Cristo Sandwich which isn't available for dinner.
If you want to get in the Blue Bayou, it's a good idea to swing by there in the morning and make a reservation. 8)

Also, try asking for a table on the water, the view of Pirates from there is pretty neat. 8)

Mike Pinocchio

Post by Mike Pinocchio » Mar Wed 09, 2005 12:03 am

sockfire wrote:If you want to get in the Blue Bayou, it's a good idea to swing by there in the morning and make a reservation. 8)

Also, try asking for a table on the water, the view of Pirates from there is pretty neat. 8)
Apparently these days you can call and reserve ahead of time by calling Disney Dining at (714) 781-DINE. And I definitely agree with the table on the water. It's such a cool experience.

Shinku
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Shinku » Mar Thu 10, 2005 11:26 pm

Um, let's see:

-Don't bother with Downtown Disney for breakfast (There's no reason why eggs should be $30. None). Hit up Del Taco on Katella (near the freeway) or McDonalds or even Denny's, you'll still get full and it's totally smarter than wasting your hard earned money. Downtown disney is just more alive at night, it's got a way better vibe to it, so try for dinner there sometime.

-The best seats for Fantasmic are dead center, but the least crowded tend to be on the Haunted Mansion side. Also, if there are two showings that night, try and catch the second one, it's far less crowded.

-If you're going to watch the stage shows, watch "Aladdin" in DCA *FIRST*, then watch "Snow White" at DL. Trust me on this one. If you reverse the order you'll end up being disappointed in Aladdin.

-Eat as many churros as humanly possible. They're just better at DLR. I don't care if they're the same brand, the same everything--They're just better.

kgmadorin

Post by kgmadorin » Mar Fri 11, 2005 8:50 am

Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone! I'm taking notes...

So no one has heard anything about Carousel Inn & Suites? Any other recommendations on walking-distance accomodations?

Also, has anyone done the dessert buffet at the Disney Gallery to watch Fantasmic? Is the experience worth the cost?

How about table-service restaurants? Anyone eaten at The Vineyard Room or Napa Rose?

Thanks again! Keep the tips coming!

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by G2-4T » Mar Fri 11, 2005 11:42 am

My biggest tip - get there when the gates open. The lines first thing in the day are the shortest and it is amazing how much I've been able to do in the first two hours compared to later in the day. And don't waste time then on breakfast, eat it beforehand and get a snack or two in the park. Plus the usual eat-at-off-times [lunch at 11, dinner at 4] to avoid lines at the food and get some shorter ride lines.

Can't say I know anything about the Carousel Inn or the table-service places...
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

sockfire

table service

Post by sockfire » Mar Fri 11, 2005 1:18 pm

The Blue Bayou is table service, eat there!

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Mar Fri 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Shinku wrote:
-If you're going to watch the stage shows, watch "Aladdin" in DCA *FIRST*, then watch "Snow White" at DL. Trust me on this one. If you reverse the order you'll end up being disappointed in Aladdin.

I haven't seen the Snow White show, but I loved the Aladdin one. Now I have high expectations. :wink:

Also for Aladdin, don't sit up in the balcony, cuz then you have to look down for the whole time. Try sitting in the middle section(mezzanine?), cuz then then you see everything.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

kgmadorin

Aladdin show

Post by kgmadorin » Mar Fri 11, 2005 4:10 pm

I would like to see both shows, but I'll definitely take your advice and see the Aladdin show first. Where does that take place in DCA? And roughly how big is DCA compared to Disneyland?

Does the Snow White show take place in that outdoor theater near Toontown & it's a small world?