Your One Regret

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mjmcsl4me
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Your One Regret

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jul Sun 15, 2012 3:09 pm

DisneySpin wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:You should check out Martin's fan made documentaries (and the official ones), they added them in because it wasn't drawing interest in the long term.
Yup, that's what I meant by $$$$; the combination of most Disney fans and, let's face it, a business, brought Mickey and the gang into EPCOT. We knew they'd be all over DCA, it was just sort of refreshing in those early years to catch a break from them, it felt almost brave of Disney. But I give them credit for the attempt. I just appreciate that there are others here who don't always have the kneejerk reaction to Disney = The Mouse. I've been involved with Disney way too long to be so naive as to think it isn't going to be about numbers. It's ok though, sometimes the changes are great, but I still pout over others, as do we all.
I've enjoyed reading these posts. So I'm wondering, because I really don't know, was EPCOT totally without any Mickey and friends at that time and were only at Magic Kingdom?

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Jul Sun 15, 2012 3:21 pm

mjmcsl4me wrote: I've enjoyed reading these posts. So I'm wondering, because I really don't know, was EPCOT totally without any Mickey and friends at that time and were only at Magic Kingdom?
That's right, you only found Mickey et al at the Magic Kingdom. Figment was the Main Man at EPCOT. But, it wasn't long before the characters started working their way over. It was just fun to have a whole new character, unique to your park experience, without the other members of the Disney stable. Certainly a business decision though, so just a nice time to remember.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jul Sun 15, 2012 3:34 pm

DisneySpin wrote:
mjmcsl4me wrote: I've enjoyed reading these posts. So I'm wondering, because I really don't know, was EPCOT totally without any Mickey and friends at that time and were only at Magic Kingdom?
That's right, you only found Mickey et al at the Magic Kingdom. Figment was the Main Man at EPCOT. But, it wasn't long before the characters started working their way over. It was just fun to have a whole new character, unique to your park experience, without the other members of the Disney stable. Certainly a business decision though, so just a nice time to remember.
So was Figment at Epcot from the get-go? and how long was he solo at Epcot before they brought the other guys over? I'm wondering what the decision was based on...requests, update the park, was it their thought all along or a later decision, etc. I bet the park was totally different then.

DisneySpin

Post by DisneySpin » Jul Sun 15, 2012 4:01 pm

mjmcsl4me wrote: So was Figment at Epcot from the get-go? and how long was he solo at Epcot before they brought the other guys over? I'm wondering what the decision was based on...requests, update the park, was it their thought all along or a later decision, etc. I bet the park was totally different then.
Well, Epocot opened in October 1982 and Journey into Imagination was unveiled in the Spring of 1983, so Figment and Dreamfinder were right there. You had all kinds of Figment merchandise, along with some of the fruits and vegetables from Kitchen Kabaret and the little robot at Communicore, SMRT-1. My understanding is that there were many, many requests from visitors to bring the other Disney characters into Epcot; most indicated their children were disappointed and found Epcot lacking without the characters. My own experience didn't reflect that as my daughter was 7 at the time, a definite target age and she loved Epcot. She faded on it as a teen, but that was mainly due to a newfound love of the water parks :lol: So yes, it was different, very enjoyable, but I know the addition of the characters and other ways they've "spiced up" Epcot were based on lots of fact-finding and analysis.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 15, 2012 5:04 pm

It was funny that you mentioned DCA a while back, I think Epcot's problems/lower interest that stemmed from their absence may have also been why no other parks attempted such a thing. Even if they are not starring in a ride/show they still need to have a minimal presence. My guess is that without them it just feels a little too far removed from a disney park.

gocubs89
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by gocubs89 » Jul Sun 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Not going on horizons when I had the chance to and also not staying at wdw for a full week to get more fun times!

Monakie78
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Monakie78 » Jul Mon 16, 2012 3:21 pm

I have been to Disney World approx. 28 times. I have been in the Mexico pavilion 50+ times only to shop & go on the ride again and again and again. Every time we go we'd talk about eating at the San Angel Inn. We thought it was too pricy....once I married and had kids of my own, then we thought it was too fancy for the kids. Last October, grandpa and my husband, myself, and our 3 kids-then 7 yrs, 4.5 yrs, & 14 months old all decided to stop talking about it and go eat at the San Angel Inn.

We went & the food was awesome! Our 14 month old had a hard time sitting still until the end. Our 4.5 yr & 7 yr old were well behaved. They loved watching the people go by on the ride. Unfortunately, I had to eat my meal somewhat quick and take our baby out of the restaurant & off to look at the store while everyone finished their meals. Yes, it was a little pricy...but that's expected for a nice sit down meal with fun atmosphere. There were other families in there too with young children. If your kids can sit down for a nice meal and you can afford it, then go!

We will go back again to the San Angel Inn, but maybe once our now 23 month old is closer to 4 yrs old.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jul Mon 16, 2012 3:30 pm

My one regret is not buying the talking plush Eyeore that we saw the first time I had my parents with me at WDW. He had a butterfly on his nose and when you moved it he said "pretty butterfly " and his tail was loosely held on with a piece of string and when it was removed from the body he said " Oh no! I 've lost my tail again "

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Monakie78 wrote:I have been to Disney World approx. 28 times. I have been in the Mexico pavilion 50+ times only to shop & go on the ride again and again and again. Every time we go we'd talk about eating at the San Angel Inn. We thought it was too pricy....once I married and had kids of my own, then we thought it was too fancy for the kids. Last October, grandpa and my husband, myself, and our 3 kids-then 7 yrs, 4.5 yrs, & 14 months old all decided to stop talking about it and go eat at the San Angel Inn.

We went & the food was awesome! Our 14 month old had a hard time sitting still until the end. Our 4.5 yr & 7 yr old were well behaved. They loved watching the people go by on the ride. Unfortunately, I had to eat my meal somewhat quick and take our baby out of the restaurant & off to look at the store while everyone finished their meals. Yes, it was a little pricy...but that's expected for a nice sit down meal with fun atmosphere. There were other families in there too with young children. If your kids can sit down for a nice meal and you can afford it, then go!

We will go back again to the San Angel Inn, but maybe once our now 23 month old is closer to 4 yrs old.
That's great that you were able to finally eat there! And now you can look forward to going back when your youngest is a bit older :D
Sleepy90 wrote:My one regret is not buying the talking plush Eyeore that we saw the first time I had my parents with me at WDW. He had a butterfly on his nose and when you moved it he said "pretty butterfly " and his tail was loosely held on with a piece of string and when it was removed from the body he said " Oh no! I 've lost my tail again "
Aww, that sounds cute Sleepy!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Sun 22, 2012 9:50 am

I regret not buying a mug at Animal Kingdom that had Pooh looking at a regular tiger and saying, "Tigger, is that you?" I have a mug from AK that shows a tiger, a cheetah, and Pluto covered with self-painted spots, and the Pooh mug would have gone with it perfectly.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 22, 2012 11:08 am

cy1229 wrote:I regret not buying a mug at Animal Kingdom that had Pooh looking at a regular tiger and saying, "Tigger, is that you?" I have a mug from AK that shows a tiger, a cheetah, and Pluto covered with self-painted spots, and the Pooh mug would have gone with it perfectly.
I saw that on a t-shirt I think. You could call the 800# and see if they are still available and order one...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Tue 24, 2012 10:36 am

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I regret not buying a mug at Animal Kingdom that had Pooh looking at a regular tiger and saying, "Tigger, is that you?" I have a mug from AK that shows a tiger, a cheetah, and Pluto covered with self-painted spots, and the Pooh mug would have gone with it perfectly.
I saw that on a t-shirt I think. You could call the 800# and see if they are still available and order one...
Oh good idea! I'll look when we're there in October, and if they don't have them anymore I'll call. Thanks Amy!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jul Thu 26, 2012 3:09 pm

I regret not buying some of the limited merchandise over the years. One of my favorite purchases was a pewter skull & crossbones emblen attached to a coffee mug, way back before they started adding characters and changes to Pirates of the Carribean. They had a few other items with the emblem, but I didn't get them. I now wish that I had picked up more from the the set.

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jul Thu 26, 2012 3:40 pm

GeoffS wrote:I regret not buying some of the limited merchandise over the years. One of my favorite purchases was a pewter skull & crossbones emblen attached to a coffee mug, way back before they started adding characters and changes to Pirates of the Carribean. They had a few other items with the emblem, but I didn't get them. I now wish that I had picked up more from the the set.
Yeah I have regrets of not purchasing items too. I think, well there's always ebay, but I like it more when I actually get it at Disney because it just seems more Disney, if you know what I mean. :mickey:

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Wed 08, 2012 5:56 am

mjmcsl4me wrote:
GeoffS wrote:I regret not buying some of the limited merchandise over the years. One of my favorite purchases was a pewter skull & crossbones emblen attached to a coffee mug, way back before they started adding characters and changes to Pirates of the Carribean. They had a few other items with the emblem, but I didn't get them. I now wish that I had picked up more from the the set.
Yeah I have regrets of not purchasing items too. I think, well there's always ebay, but I like it more when I actually get it at Disney because it just seems more Disney, if you know what I mean. :mickey:
Like the purse you forgot ? lol!!! I always forget to buy something,I'll see it and not feel like carrying it,so I'll just come back for it and....I don't ! I've got to just get it when I see it or I'll forget!!