Going to Tokyo in a month.. worth a visit to the park there?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

aldo
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Going to Tokyo in a month.. worth a visit to the park there?

Post by aldo » Mar Wed 12, 2008 9:30 am

I'll be in Japan for two weeks in April frolicking around various parts of the country (but based in Tokyo).

I will be going by myself - is Tokyo Disneyland worth a trip to those who have gone? I'd really just love to walk around and take pictures (because riding alone isn't all that great), but I'm not sure if taking a whole day out would be worth it.

There is an "After 6" weekday ticket costing $31 which lets me in from 6-10pm, perhaps that's an option.

Anyone have any experience/suggestions? If I do go, what would be the must-sees? Do they have a Japanese Blue Bayou?

Thanks!

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Wed 12, 2008 11:04 am

I would say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen many pictures and have heard many good things about it. The Disney Seas is probably the best of the two parks. I would say if you are going to go to one of the parks it should be Disney Seas. TDLfan is probably, if he sees this in time, the best person to tell you about it.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

cap396
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cap396 » Mar Wed 12, 2008 11:34 am

If you're a Disney fan, I would say that it's worth it. If you're not a huge Disney fan, most (but not all) of what you'll see you can see at parks you've probably already been to.

For me personally, I had a great time at Tokyo Disney and would definitely make the effort to go again if I were ever in Japan. The thing that stood out the most compared to other parks was the friendliness of the cast members.

wdwannabe
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by wdwannabe » Mar Wed 12, 2008 11:39 am

If given the chance why not? I hope that you can get away to do so. It sounds like it would be an adventure!
First Family Visit
POP Century - September 2006

Second Family Visit
2013 Fall/Winter-Christmas

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Mar Wed 12, 2008 12:37 pm

I have never been to Japan and therefore can't really answer your question.

I just wanted to say that if I had the opportunity to go to Japan (or any location with a Disney park in it), there isn't much that could keep me from visiting the park.

How many chances do you get to visit Tokyo Disney? Definitely would be worth the experience to me.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

aldo

Post by aldo » Mar Wed 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Sorry about putting it in the wrong forum Adam!

I am a big Disney fan, so it's not a problem of seeing the same stuff. I'm really interested in seeing the Japanese versions of the rides that I've seen so many times.

I am leaning toward going at least once using the After 6 pass, but I did not realize there was a Tokyo Seas park. Is that the equivalent of California Adventure? Not so sure I'd be so interested in that as much.

Discomick
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by Discomick » Mar Thu 13, 2008 5:15 am

Well, where should I start. We are heading back in April for our 4th trip in 3 years. Have had an excellent time each and everytime we've gone. My wife loves it, I love it, and my boys (8 and 14) love it. All of us are partial to Disney Sea. Have never been to California Adventures, but from the sounds of it, the 2 parks aren't even close to being the same. Disney Sea is based on 7 ports, but it's not a water park like some think. Some great rides including Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Indiana Jones: Temple of the Crystal Skull. BraviSeamo is an excellent night time show and maybe the most scenic of all the Parks I've been to with the Disney name.

Yes, there is a Blue Bayou at Tokyo Disneyland, next to PotC. Wasn't that impressed with it, but it might of had something to do with the Japanese portions. TDL has pretty much all the rides you would expect. I agree with the statement about the cast being nicer there also. Very helpful to say the least. They definitely go out of there way to ensure you are hooked up with what your looking for or need. The language barrier hasn't been a problem at all. Most of the cast speak very well English, and if not, they run and find someone who does.

They are celebrating there 25th year starting 15 April. So, having said that, it's gonna be packed during that time and after. I've noticed the crowds are always heavy at TDL compared to the Sea. We've been able to do rides at the Sea over and over again with very limited waiting. Not so much at TDL.

Hope all of this helped a little... :)

aldo

Post by aldo » Mar Fri 14, 2008 3:12 pm

My trip is the 14th-28th so with them celebrating the 25th I'm probably going to head down there one evening. I'm not planning on going on very many rides though.

Thanks for all of the tips. I'll try to post some pics.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Fri 14, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't know how you could NOT go!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

blinkereye123
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by blinkereye123 » Mar Sat 22, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi there. While I myself haven't been to Japan I can tell you that TDL and TDS are definitely worth the trip. While TDL has been undergoing its own period of reassessment and refurbishing in the past couple of years, (possibly to coincide wit their 25th), there is still enough there to interest even the most casual Disney fan.
As for TDS, even if it didn't have the Disney name on it it would still be worth the trip. The theming, rides systems, and just the overall feel of the place is enough to turn anybody into a fan for life. But don't take my word for it, try for yourself, it could be a worthwhile experience. Later, peace.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Mar Sat 22, 2008 4:27 pm

blinkereye123 wrote: As for TDS, even if it didn't have the Disney name on it it would still be worth the trip.
just FYI, It's called Tokyo DISNEY Sea, so it does contain the Disney name. From what I understand, you just won't see the classic Disney rides, or see characters like Cinderella or Mary Poppins walking around in TDS.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Mar Sat 22, 2008 5:30 pm

js3901 wrote:From what I understand, you just won't see the classic Disney rides, or see characters like Cinderella or Mary Poppins walking around in TDS.
A Pixar-free park sounds heavenly!

They do have Disney-themed stuff there, like Nemo (Captain Nemo!) and Little Mermaid attractions, but not many recycled attractions. Looks like they have the Tower of Terror, though, so it's not completely unique.

The Vulcania area with the Nautilus looks so amazing that if I ever find myself in Japan, there's no way I wouldn't go check it out...sinking dollar be darned.

js3901

Post by js3901 » Mar Sun 23, 2008 7:59 am

I just meant classic rides of the PotC, HM, or iasw persuasion. as for charcters, there may be a few, but they're usually not the cutesy ones you see walking through Fantasyland. possibly, you may see some during a parade or somethong, but probably not while walking through the park normally.

and I agree, I'd be there in a heartbeat if I were to ever to go Tokyo.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

aldo

Post by aldo » Apr Mon 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Just got back, Japan was amazing and I was able to visit Tokyo Disneyland. It's very similar to the one in Anaheim, but there were subtle differences, including the hungry bear restaurant serving just curry-related items. It was really, really awesome to see the Main Street Electrical parade, which I hadn't seen since the late 80's. I also got a really good spot for it. The 25th anniversary had just started the week before, so they had some cool fireworks.

Someone asked me which one was better, and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, but Tokyo's haunted mansion is really, really sweet.

Anyway, I took a ton of photos and you can see them here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhot ... 9353800050

Apologies for some being overexposed, I had a setting in my camera wrong and it's also quite difficult to shoot in such low light.

cap396

Post by cap396 » Apr Tue 29, 2008 6:14 am

I'm jealous. Looking at your pictures, it looks like some of the floats in the electrical parade are different from the California version. I'm glad you had a great time.