Which Disney World hotel at Christmastime?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Which Disney World hotel at Christmastime?

Post by Esmeralda » Feb Wed 27, 2008 7:16 pm

My family is planning a Disney World vacation during the Christmas season this year! We've never stayed at a Disney hotel during the holidays so I'm wondering if you have any recommendations. Which are the most festive?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

YZFDonor
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by YZFDonor » Feb Wed 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Which are the most festive?
well Esmeralda, pretty much ALL of them! :)

We love to visit all of the Deluxe and Home away from Home resorts but all of them have something.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Feb Wed 27, 2008 10:03 pm

We stayed at Saratoga Springs during this past Christmas and really liked it, just because upstate NY and the winter season already go together. It reminded me of a Christmas we once spent in Lake George. I half expected to be snowed in Christmas morning. The CM's big yellow,winter coats add to the winter effect. :D

We've also done OKW for Christmas before, but it didn't have the same Holiday feel as SS, it just felt like another Disney vacation. There was really nothing Chrismassy about being in the artificial FL Keys for Christmas.

As far as decorations go, most of the resorts do a good deal of decorating (every resort has a tree), but a few have big displays such as the huge Contemporary and GF trees. There's also a nice winter train setup at the YC and gingerbread displays at various resorts. However, you don't really need to stay at those resorts to go see the displays.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Thu 28, 2008 12:37 am

If you want decorations, try going through the Ft. Wilderness campgrounds. people go ALL OUT decorating their sites. many of them look like a decorated house (with the amount of lights/blow up lawn ornaments/etc). People even decorate the golf carts with lights, ornaments, tinsel, and the like. It's really a sight to see.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Feb Thu 28, 2008 1:40 am

each hotel offers somthing different. I stayed at the all-star music resot 2 christmas's ago and it was amazing. We also went to most of the other resorts just to look at decorations. The grand floridian does have the famous giant gingerbread house if you are interested in that. I think the least decorated hotel was the contemporary.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Thu 28, 2008 3:00 am

Decorations-wise, the Wilderness Lodge is very nice. The theme sort of fits a more Christmas-y feel too (well, if you're from somewhere where you're used to snow at Christmas, like me). There are also big lobby displays that are not to be missed in the Grand Floridian, Beach Club and Boardwalk. I personally liked the decor at Port Orleans (French Quarter) this year. The Contemporary, as yodiwan said, was barely decorated at all inside (though the tree outside was very pretty at night). In 04 when we stayed at the Polynesian in early Dec, the decorations were really nice but they seemed lackluster this year. I think some of the budgets have gone down over the years.

As others have pointed out, though, you don't need to be staying at the resort to enjoy the decorations. Part of the fun of going at Christmas for us is resort hopping to take in the sights. :)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Feb Thu 28, 2008 1:29 pm

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite at Christmas.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Sat 01, 2008 7:00 pm

All of the deluxe resorts go all out. We love the Polynesian, it's a tropical Christmas with a view of MK. How can you go wrong?! :D

lucygilligan
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by lucygilligan » Mar Sun 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Wilderness Lodge I think would be the best. The Christmas celebrations in the olden days were much more traditional and less commercialized, and Wilderness Lodge would provide more of a traditional view of Christmas.

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Mar Sun 02, 2008 5:05 pm

SWHorn wrote:Wilderness Lodge is my favorite at Christmas.

Agreed !!!

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Mar Mon 03, 2008 1:10 pm

On the other side of this, I found the BoardWalk Inn to be a bit lacking in decorations. Across the water, the Beach and Yacht Clubs looked much more festive (though perhaps this was a grass-is-always-greener moment for me...)
~Steve

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Mar Fri 07, 2008 12:17 am

most of the deluxes are good about this, but i'd recommend grand floridian if cost doesn't mean anything. the life size gingerbread house and giant Christmas tree are pretty cool:)

the poly is my favorite resort, but we didn't find much in the way of decorations this past year :( they had a tree and stuff....i saw a special on WDW during the holidays that showed that the poly had a whole polynesian Christmas village made out of chocolate, but we didn't see anything like that when we visited last nov/dec....

did we just miss it? or did they put it up later? anyone know?
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Mar Fri 07, 2008 7:39 am

The villages and stuff are something that is done by the chef's at that resort. Two years ago outside Boma had a huge one, this year nothing. I asked about and was told the head pastry chef at Jiko (I think it was) had been doing that one. And he was too busy this year to put it together... They thought he might do one next year because so many people had asked about it.

My impression is that Christmas/seasonal decoration is controlled at several different levels. Based on Discovery/Travel/TLC channel, there is a crew that is basically in charge of seasonal decorations year round (putting them up, taking down, planning, fixing... year round job) But they seem to do the macro decorations. Then there are teams at each resort/park that do some stuff as well on a local level. Then it seems that some areas, like restaurants, seem to be able to do things as well.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Mar Mon 31, 2008 7:56 am

The Wilderness Lodge seems to have more of a Christmas "feel" if you like more of a traditional Christmas atmosphere.

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » Apr Sun 13, 2008 3:19 pm

The Wilderness Lodge is absolutely gorgeous. Their decorations are absolutely beautiful but I must admit to not going to some of the other resorts during the holidays because I love Wilderness so much
Amy