shades of green

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

opalias
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

shades of green

Post by opalias » Feb Sat 17, 2007 11:26 am

has anyone ever stayed at shades of green? What was your experience there like? Was it worth it. Its an idea that I'm just kicking around, but i really don't know that much about it.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Sat 17, 2007 11:44 am

never stayed there myself as I've never been in the military, and closest family member who is is my cousin who already has a wife and kid to take down, and he doesn;t like Disney as much as me.

There was a section in our local paper not too long ago about the Shade of Green and peoples experiences there. I know I saved the article (I save anything I see with anything WDW), so I'll try and find it/post it for you. may take me a little while as I just got a new job that's about to take up ALOT of my time, but I will get it up...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Feb Sat 17, 2007 6:28 pm

I stayed there in October 2004 (my dad is retired USAF) and it was nice - nothing spectacular, but on the par with a nice Marriott or Hyatt. The pool was about the only Disney theming - it really felt like it was lacking Disney magic. The rooms, though, were huge and the price was on the same level as what you'd pay at the Values.

That said, I'd not choose to stay there again - when I'm at Disney I personally desire the full Disney immersion experience.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » May Thu 17, 2007 1:01 pm

I've stay there several times. Pretty much the same thing as aklrulz says.

It's an okay place to stay, but it's NOT a Disney resort, it's a Armed Forces Rec. They don't use the same buses (I've always found it to be faster to walk to the poly and take use Disney from there.)

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

metsofny
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by metsofny » Jun Tue 10, 2008 12:27 am

The Shades of green is hotel for military and some government employees. It great hotel, they do provide buses, although sometimes it can be quicker to walk to the transportation center sometimes. it does not have the typical Disney flare but it is still a beautiful hotel. :o

Ginny01843
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Ginny01843 » Jul Tue 08, 2008 6:38 am

My husband is a retired USN Air Traffic Controller and although we do not spend our entire trip at SOG we try to stay for a few days each visit. We LOVE it--it certainly is not Disney, but since the renovations it is absolutely beautiful. There is a gift shop that carries alot of WDW merchandise, a cute (but small) Ice Cream Palor, the wonderful Evergreens Sports Bar in the back behind the Mickey pool, plus two other restaurants, one a Family Buffet and the other and Upgraded Dining . The rooms are the largest on Disney property, two queen beds, and a pull out couch. The transportation isn't the best, so we normally walk to the POLY and get the bus or monorail there. The Adult pool has a good size hot tub and a beautiful view of the golf course. In fact we have watched Tiger Woods play by ( in October) as we swam in the pool. We usually stay here first and then go on the one of the Disney Resorts for our full Disney experience.
Last edited by Ginny01843 on Jul Tue 08, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who says--AP's save you money--Ü

Life's and Ocean--Swim it.

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Tue 08, 2008 7:59 am

It occurs to me that I've never seen this place. I might have to go check it out on principle. Do they welcome visitors the way the other resorts do?

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jul Tue 08, 2008 10:22 am

i dont think that they do captain. for a many of reasons, first they dont have the disney magic and because they dont theme very good. :( but those are only my thoughts.

Ginny01843
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Ginny01843 » Jul Tue 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi, Yes you may certainly visit the SOG resort even if you are not eligible to stay there. Their restaurants are open to the public so--of course you may visit any time-Ü
Who says--AP's save you money--Ü

Life's and Ocean--Swim it.

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Wed 09, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks, Ginny.

Guess my hotel tour isn't complete after all!

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Jul Sun 20, 2008 7:01 am

Ginny01843 wrote:There is a gift shop that carries alot of WDW merchandise..
Just as a sidebar - the store does not carry official Disney merchandies but "off brand" Disney merchandise. You won't find the same items that theme parks, Disney resorts, and merchandisers at DTD are selling here, which was another disappointment for me.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Jul Sat 26, 2008 2:49 am

I have been there a few times. It is a great resort. It does lack a Disney theme. and it is a resort mostly for those in the military. Anyone can visit, I think there is really nothing to see there for the regular disney fan. The rooms are claimed to be the some of the largest, especially for the price. I thought this seemed true after having stayed in many different resorts. I loved being able to walk across the street to the Poly or to the transportion center, if you can stand the heat. I think they placed the resort there so that they kinda have a slight transportion advantage, which is what one of the things that sets apart the different levels of resorts. The nice location, room size, and prices are something our military deserves. I haven't been there in years, I liked it a lot, that's my feelings.

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Sat 26, 2008 12:25 pm

One problem with biggest resort for the dollar. The price is a sliding scale based on your pay grade. The higher your pay grade the more you pay.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » Jul Sat 26, 2008 2:17 pm

What are the actual requirements to be able to stay at Shades of Green?
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

kellybus
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by kellybus » Aug Sat 16, 2008 5:12 am

SWHorn wrote:What are the actual requirements to be able to stay at Shades of Green?
Active Duty or retired military and certain DOD employees and their authorized families.

Kellybus