Back From My First Solo Trip

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Back From My First Solo Trip

Post by foldmama » May Tue 16, 2006 9:11 am

I had a wonderful time and would travel solo again without a second thought. I absolutely love the freedom of doing everything I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. I will give a full report as soon as possible. Really busy at work right now and for some reason I cannot sign on at home.

Bostoncq: Start planning that solo trip!

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » May Tue 16, 2006 9:38 am

I couldn't imagine doing Disney solo. Its the greatest family resort in the world! I would be so sad doing everything alone. I would gladly give up half the things I want to see just to share the experience with someone.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » May Tue 16, 2006 11:33 am

Oh, Flatland, you have no idea what you're missing... I did a five-day solo trip back in '04... it. was. AWESOME. I chatted it up with complete strangers (both guests and CMs), ate when I wanted where I wanted, rode Rock'n'RollerCoaster like five times in a row... totally cool.

Now, yes, I enjoyed my trip the following year with my fiancee even more... but solo is a great way to see WDW, even if only once!
~Steve

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Tue 16, 2006 2:03 pm

I also would have a hard time going alone, but I understand that it works great for a lot of people and they enjoy solo touring.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » May Wed 17, 2006 1:45 pm

I have been to WDW 7 times with my family in the last 12 years. Every time is great and every time is different. BUT ... I would love to do a solo tirp someday. spaulo has some great points about the benefits of a solo trip. Only problem for me is if I left for 5 days to do a solo trip someone would eventually notice I wasn't at home!

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » May Wed 17, 2006 4:29 pm

OMG I am giddy and excited, I can't wait to hear your report :!: :!: We will definitely have to plan a solo trip!
I am going to treat myself when I get my finances under control. Or the lack of funds.....ha ha. I met with a financial planner today and realistically it will take me 2 1/2 yrs to get out from this debt so I have my sights set on treating myself when I do!! HURRY HURRY get on here and fill us in, call in sick and stay home and write about it...ha ha ha
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

foldmama

Post by foldmama » May Fri 19, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Everyone: Sorry it’s taken me so long to give a report on my trip. Just so busy at work and I cannot sign on for some reason at home. I arrived at MCO on Sunday May 7th at 11:00 AM. Magic Express was a big disappointment. I did not get onto a bus until 1:20 PM. I arrived at Riverside @ 2 PM and got a room within 30 minutes which was great. I will never use Magic Express again. There were a few thousand people waiting for buses and it was a total nightmare. I stayed in the Magnolia building very close to the East Stop. As soon as I got settled I went to MGM and I arrived @ 3:30 PM. I was nervous about being alone for about 45 minutes and then I realized how much fun it was to do exactly what I wanted! I decided on this trip that I would make sure that I rode or saw anything that I have never done in the past. MGM was extremely slow on Sunday and I went straight onto the Great Movie Ride! I then decided to run over to Star Wars which I had never done and I absolutely loved it. I did wait a bit for the Backstage Tour, but I just loved that so I waited the 30 minutes and then it was onto the RnRC (which I think I am getting too old for) I had a 6 PM dinner appointment at the 50’s Prime Time Café. I must tell you that they treated me so well I never once felt funny about eating alone that night. I was really exhausted that night because I had to get up at 4 AM on Sunday morning so I decided to go back to my room (I also wanted to make sure I could fine it! Riverside is so large). Once I arrived back at the hotel and found my room I decided to take the boat to Downtown Disney. I met a wonderful couple on their first trip with their daughter and we talked the whole boat ride. I just walked around for a little while and then took the boat back to Riverside. I was totally exhausted!

On Monday I went to Epcot. Don’t ask me where the time went, but I spent over 12 hours at Epcot that day and I had a wonderful time. I had never seen Off Kilter and I loved them. I saw the films for Canada, France, China and Norway. The only one I had seen in the past was France. Of course, I saw the full show in the Americas Pavilion including Voices of Liberty. I must admit that when I was walking around the Innovations area a big smile broke out when I heard the music. I decided to have some lunch outside so I could listen to the music that I have come to love so much. While waiting for Illuminations I met a older couple from Long Island and I had a lovely time talking to them and waiting for the show to begin. It was a great day.

On Tuesday I woke early and ran to Epcot in the pouring rain. Tuesday was the Backstage Magic Tour. Our tour guide was Carmen (who was originally from Brooklyn) from the Disney Institute. If you love detail, this is the tour for you. We visited the backstage area of the American Pavilion to learn how the show works. It was so much fun to see everything up close and to drive on the CM roads around Epcot. We also visited the employee building as many of the Epcot CM’s were arriving for work. We visited the area where they pick up their costumes each day. We then headed over to MGM where were visited the inside of the Costuming area. Now, this was amazing. We were able to speak to several of the CM’s creating costumes and saw some new ones just finished that will be used in the Parade from the new movies “Cars”. I was amazed at how heavy some of the costumes were. We then headed over to lunch at Mama R’s and the meal was amazing. Several of the people on the tour kept trying to convince me to buy into the DVC, but it’s just too expensive for me. After lunch, we rode over to the Magic Kingdom. We visited the Christmas Shop. Did you know that they start preparing for Christmas two years before for each Christmas. I was totally blown away buy this place. They were actually decorating a new 40 foot tree for Riverside while we were there. The place is massive and just amazing to see everything in one place and to see what goes into preparing for the holidays. We visited the central shop where they were repairing several ride vehicles, the paint stop, you name it, we saw it! We visited the underground tunnels. It was a great day and a wonderful learning experience. I arrived back at my room around 5:30 and I decided to hang around the hotel. I was so exhausted and we had such a big lunch and I was not hungry at all.

On Wednesday Morning I arrived at the Magic Kingdom in time to see the opening of the park (I just love it) and I then proceeded to City Hall to begin my Keys to the Kingdom Tour. Now this was fun. So much fun information and not technical at all. The tour lasted until 2 PM and they served us lunch. I was the only one alone so I got to sit with the CM at lunch and ask all the questions that I wanted. She was asking me all about NY because she is visiting here in September. While in the backstage area we watch the butterflies practice for the Spectro Magic Parade. After the tour I made my way around the Magic Kingdom visiting all my favorite rides and attractions. When I was on the Tomorrow Transit towards the end of the ride I heard an announcement (Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow) Well how stupid did I look laughing out loud all by myself. I never realized that it came from TTA. I stayed for Wishes (which I had never seen) and I had a wonderful evening.

On Thursday I decided to go back to MGM because I did so little the day I arrived. Yes, I had to do Star Wars again! I made sure I saw the Extreme Stunt Show, the Little Mermaid show, and a few other things I had never done before. I then decided to head back to Epcot. I took the boat from MGM to Epcot. What a great way to get a look at the Boardwalk and the Beach Club. Just absolutely beautiful resorts. When I arrived back at Epcot Off Kilter was just going on stage again so I just had to see them again. I wanted around for a while, and then went back to my hotel. I love the boat to DDD so I took it again and had dinner at Wolfgang Pucks Café which was wonderful and inexpensive. I then went back to my room and packed. How sad.

On Friday morning I checked my luggage at the desk and received my boarding tickets for that evening. I proceeded over to the Animal Kingdom where I rode Everest three times. It was so much fun and I absolutely love it. I met several people on line and we had so much fun talking together as we waited. I forgot how cute the Tough to be A Bug film is. I also got to see so many animals while on the Safari this time. AK was extremely crowed and I wanted about 45 minutes for the Safari. I then decided to watch the Flights of Wonder show which I had never seen. If you have never done so, this is a must. It was so wonderful and they bring a bald eagle out at the end. I had run out of film and I was so amazed by the birds that I decided to get some lunch and then head back with a camera full of film. I cannot wait to get my pictures.

I left AK around 4 PM to catch a bus back to the Hotel so I would make the Magic Express in time.
I must admit that the buses to Riverside were not good on this trip. I waited over an hour on 2 nights when I stayed to see Illuminations and Wishes. All the other bus stops had little to no people waiting and the Riverside resorts bus stops were extremely crowed. I was told on the Backstage Magic tour and they are in a hiring mode right now. They are extremely short on staff in all areas. If only I could retire now and work at Disney!

The Magic Express stopped at 5 other hotels before heading back to the airport. I feel that I wasted way too much time with the Magic Express and I will never use it again.

I had a wonderful time and I will definitely go again on a solo trip. It was so relaxing. In November, we have our big family trip which I am now looking forward too, but I must admit that the solo trips can be very special. It’s all about what you want to do when you want to do it. I never once felt funny about being alone. No compromise once in a while is good for the soul!
:mickey:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Fri 19, 2006 6:15 pm

That was a great story, fold. My first trip to WDW in '89 was solo, and it is true how quickly you forget you're by yourself!

I have yet to hear a story about Magical Express that would make me change my mind from renting a car. Cars are soooo inexpensive in MCO and parking in the resort hotels is free. I've done the Mears thing many times, but I think the car expense is offset by the extra time and reduced hassles at the beginning and end of my trip.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Fri 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Super nice report! We always rent a car at MCO, too - I hate to be at the mercy of Disney transportation, especially if resort hopping. We've not used Magical Express and can't see using it.
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Fri 19, 2006 6:53 pm

And I am anti-bus if I can help it. It's just not magical.

(yes, a car IS more magical, especially if you're driving through the World!)
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Fri 19, 2006 7:04 pm

horizons1 wrote:And I am anti-bus if I can help it. It's just not magical.

(yes, a car IS more magical, especially if you're driving through the World!)
Oh man, I totally agree! I haven't been on a Disney bus since 1999. :P
www.themagicforless.com

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » May Fri 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Fold, I am blown away by your trip, how awesome! I could see through your eyes how fun a solo trip would be! I am kinda shy so striking up conversations might be hard for me at first, but I think I could get the hang of it, cause we would have one big thing in common DISNEY! I loved the tours you described! It all sounded so wonderful. I am soooo glad you had such a great time. I bet it was really neat to hear the songs at the park that you have been enjoying here online!! That is one of the reasons I really want to get to WDW so I can relate and place a lot of what I hear on here. I grew up on DL so I am not that familiar with alot of the WDW tracks. I think I can do it! So dining alone was ok then when you ate out? You were probably so pumped up from your days at the parks and tours your head was swimming with what all you'd seen that you forgot you were alone, and the time just passed. You have truly given me insight and made me feel so much more confident about going by myself. I want to save up and stay at one of the resorts serviced by the monorail though. That has always been my dream! Thanks so much for the report and I can't wait to see your pictures!!
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » May Sun 21, 2006 8:26 am

P.S. (and please don't stone me!) Disney busses do not run to Universal! :wink: Which is amazing in it's own right as well. I'd feel like a trip down there wouldn't be complete without atleast a day for UO/IOA.

GoofyInOhio

Post by GoofyInOhio » May Sun 21, 2006 2:38 pm

I talked to a guy on our recent trip and he was a solo traveler. He said the biggest issue he had was he didn't have anyone to talk to so he was getting a little crazy. :lol:

However, the freedom to eat, ride and pretty much do whatever he wanted was well worth it.
Bloody Pirate!

SpaceyMounty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by SpaceyMounty » May Sun 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Sounds like you had a great time! I think it would be fun to go to Disneyland solo....but I would get lonely fast.

James
Disneyland is the best!