I'm Going to Disneyworld!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm Going to Disneyworld!

Post by horizons1 » Nov Wed 01, 2023 12:38 pm

A friend is going to be in Orlando in early December and invited my wife and me out to hit the parks with her. So excited with this surprise trip as the last time I went to the World, Pandora was the new thing. We'll be flying in Saturday 12/2 and flying back Tuesday, so it's a short trip. But we hope to visit Epcot Saturday evening, park hop Sunday and Monday and then do a little more Tuesday morning before flying home.

On my list of new stuff to experience are Cosmic Rewind, Ratatouille, Skyliner (maybe), Runaway Railway, Skinky Dog Dash, and Tron (although I've ridden the one in Shanghai it'll be new to my wife.)

We're probably gonna skip DAK, none of us have any urge to go there. So I'm thinking:
Saturday night: Epcot
Sunday morning: Epcot
Sunday afternoon: Studios (MK has holiday party that night and closes early)
Monday morning: TBD
Monday afternoon: MK (Studios has holiday party)
Tuesday morning: TBD

This will also be my first trip where Genie+ is in effect and I am debating whether or not to spend the money. Given our short trip I might do it, but several of my must-do's are not on Genie+ meaning we'll have to wait the old fashioned way for those. Also, our friend hasn't been to the World in years and hasn't really experienced Epcot so I'm excited to introduce her to the magic.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: I'm Going to Disneyworld!

Post by Alacrity » Nov Wed 08, 2023 10:39 am

We've had mixed results with Genie+. Once was dismal (MK), another time (in the Studios) was well worth it. Some attractions have Individual Lightning Lanes which are separate but sometimes that is a good option. It adds up though. If you are staying at a Disney hotel, your first Genie pick is earlier that the usual (7:00am I think...could be some set time before open on that particular day...I'd have to look again at the detail). However, if you use that, the next pick is not until (again check the detail) 1 or 2 hours after park open. We got bit by that one...by the time we could pick another option everything was way out in the evening.

The old fashioned wait for most of our must dos can be pretty long. Get there early! Or late...Rise of the Resistance about a half hour before close...we've walked on a few times. Smugglers run...unless you must be in a group, use the individual line and take the left door, most folks don't even see that door!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Wed 08, 2023 2:28 pm

Thanks Alacrity. While I prefer to stay on property my friend has a timeshare so we'll do it the hard way!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 16, 2023 9:32 am

I'll be curious to see what you do and how it works. It all seems far more complicated than it used to be, or how it needs to be, anymore. Yay for a last minute trip to see a friend and have some fun at WDW! :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Mon 20, 2023 9:48 am

Very complicated. And I am bummed that Tron and Cosmic Rewind are both virtual-queue or paid Lightning Lane only. No standby option.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 22, 2023 8:09 am

yeah, I didn't like that about Rise of the Resistance when we went. If someone wants to stand for an extended period of time in line, either because they can't enter the virtual queue, or don't want to pay additional fees, it would be nice to have that option. Though I can see it from their viewpoint as well, if they can fill it and not have people standing in line for hours, and especially if people are willing to pay more, then that makes sense for them.