A VERY different Disney trip January 2018

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: A VERY different Disney trip January 2018

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 13, 2018 6:59 am

Metalfan wrote:Yea Amy, I might. Part of me liked it. I feel like I won't get as tired lol. I was this time but there was a lot of other things going on and the meds didn't help in that regard. But it might be better to just bring it. It doesn't keep me from doing anything. And if I do want to walk around for a bit I'm sure my girlfriend would not mind riding it for a bit lol I guess when I go to a restaurant I could just park it outside and walk in. We'll figure it out.

It's just so long away. 219 days now. We usually don't book the room and stuff until about 100 days before the trip So this is over double that and the wait kills me. But, I still have about 50 days or so before I go back to work. And then we'll be doing a lot of other stuff like getting back into the swing of some normalcy. And when I'm better we do have plans for a couple of long weekend trips. So the time should move fairly quickly.
Yes, the parks are set up for those needing assistance so don't hesitate to take that ECV. Plenty of parking outside restaurants and stores. And I had a bit of fun when I would take Figment's ECV to the food court to retrieve breakfast some mornings!
I'm hoping Disney will be helping you out with some FP for your trip as well? At least with your 50 days off, you can do lots of trip planning! Sometimes the anticipation is a big part of the fun :goofy_bounce:

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I guess my biggest concern was charging it at the parks but my girlfriend says theres tons of places to plug them in. I guess I'll find out. As for fast passes we're trying to figure that out. They gave my girlfriend a free 6 day park hopper so she's good to go. They are extending my annual pass 6 months but I have to go to guest services to get that working. My claims person is supposed to be working on getting that fixed so that we can both do fast passes when we hit the 60 days. Still about 150 days before that, but the time will move quickly I think. I was supposed to get a phone call from her today but didn't so maybe I'll hear from her another day this week and I can see if she has an update. She's been really good about everything else and she said she's had this done before.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 14, 2018 8:42 am

You shouldn't have to worry about charging your ECV. Figment's would last all day, and we were get to the parks when they opened, not return to the hotel until after closing kind of people! It sounds like your rental will be through the parks themselves, so if you were to run out of battery, you would be able to call them and they will run a new battery out, or a fully charged ECV.
You might be able to go through the concierge at your hotel when you arrive for your annual pass extension as they are able to do some of the ticket things right there. Otherwise it is a simple thing as guest services are just at the front of the parks when you arrive. Hopefully your claims person will just ask what FP you want and schedule them for you. That would be a nice gesture from them I would think. But if not, 60 days out will be nice as well. And you're right, the time will disappear rapidly!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Wed 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Well last time we got one it wasnt from the parks. I think it was rented from one of the companies around because we had it the whole trip. Charged it in the room, etc. I think it will be the same this time. When we went to the parks we didn't spend the whole day there and at Epcot and at Disney Springs it reached the point where we almost had to push it. So I don't know what can be done or if I was doing something wrong. But it definitely is a concern for the next time.

I know the fast pass thing will work itself out at some point in the future. Im not hugely concerned about that.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 15, 2018 8:37 am

Ah, yes, we rented from an offsite company as well because she needed to be able to use it at the hotel. We had one or two instances where it wasn't charged fully, but that was more due to a faulty battery/charger. You might mention it to the rental company when you make the arrangements so they can address your concerns.
What attractions are you most excited to be able to go on this trip since you weren't able to get on any except Imagination last time?

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Thu 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Hahah the list is so long. But you know what, I'm gonna go with things like Haunted Mansion, People Mover, etc. Yea Space Mountain, Everest, Flight of Passage, etc are all gonna be amazing to do again. But man, just those rides I enjoy sitting back on. I really just can't wait to not have restrictions on what rides I can do.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Thu 12, 2018 9:29 am

Great update from the doctor today! XRays looked great to him. He was extremely happy with the progress and where things stand. I start physical therapy tomorrow and I'm really excited! I'm allowed to start walking as long as theres no pain. I think my girlfriend might be getting me a kane or something. We'll see. But things are going really well!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 13, 2018 11:06 am

Metalfan wrote:Great update from the doctor today! XRays looked great to him. He was extremely happy with the progress and where things stand. I start physical therapy tomorrow and I'm really excited! I'm allowed to start walking as long as theres no pain. I think my girlfriend might be getting me a kane or something. We'll see. But things are going really well!
Congratulations ~ that is great news! :goofy_bounce:

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Fri 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks Amy! We're on the final stretch! First session today and it went well. It's gonna hurt but it's all to get me back where I need to be! I learned tonight that its 10000x tougher to do the stuff at home than it is to do it there! They think they can get me back in about 4 weeks. We'll see!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 14, 2018 6:21 am

Metalfan wrote:Thanks Amy! We're on the final stretch! First session today and it went well. It's gonna hurt but it's all to get me back where I need to be! I learned tonight that its 10000x tougher to do the stuff at home than it is to do it there! They think they can get me back in about 4 weeks. We'll see!
Keep at it ~ I know you're motivated to get back to 100% ~ you've got a trip to enjoy :goofy_bounce:

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Jun Sun 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Well thought Id update this. So, on Wednesday May 23 I went through my last physical therapy appointment. Was thrilled to get there and get it done. 4 long months after breaking my knee we were on the verge of me going back to work! Greatness was ahead

Or so we thought. We had less than 5 minutes left in therapy. We were talking about how fun it was going to be going back to work the next week. Well, during an exercise that I was struggling with some but was doing (basically I had to kneel my bad knee down to touch a pad and then left myself back up) on the 18th of 20 reps, my leg gave out and in the freakest of freak I basically knelt all the way down and a very loud pop was heard. I immediately fell to the ground crying. The therapist grabbed my leg, straightened it and held it in place. I knew and I think he knew that I had rebroken my kneecap. He was holding my knee to hopefully keep the kneecap in place so it didn't cause issues. They wheeled me downstairs to the ER where I got xrays done and it was confirmed. My kneecap was snapped in half. Back to square 1. The one good thing is that the break this time is much less significant than the first time. The first one it was in 4 pieces and some of the pieces had shifted in the leg. This one, I bent the screws and the kneecap snapped in half. Sounds bad and yes, it was devastating. I cried for a couple days about it knowing that I had worked so hard to get back to normal and something happened. It very rarely hurts. The surgeon who did the first surgery said this one should heal quicker because it's not as bad of a break. However, therapy will take longer because they will want to go slower to make sure it's actually healed. I was referred to a trauma surgeon just because he wasn't sure what would be needed. He wants the trauma surgeon to decide if I need something else to make it definitely heel. There's also the outside shot that a knee replacement would be best. We just don't know. I go to the doctor on the 12th and then we'll schedule surgery and get that done. I don't see why I wouldn't be ok for Disney in October. I was moving around and doing pretty well 2 months after surgery this time. Was I perfect? Not even close. But Disney is giving us an ECV so I won't have to walk much if I don't want to or can't. The ultimate thing will be how much my knee will bend and if it will be comfortable to do all the rides. If I have surgery before the end of June that will put me at 4 months of recovery time before our Disney trip. That's where I was at this time. I think it's definitely doable. I was able to bend my knee pretty good. I think I was up to 112 degrees. As long as I can bend it 90 degrees that should be perfect for most rides.

Sorry for the long story, but we're back to square 1 and now it's time to get back to perfect!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Oh no Metalfan, my heart just broke for you while reading this. I'm so glad you are keeping a positive outlook. Lesser break, trauma surgeon, the slower pt, it all sounds like an excellent plan to get you and your knee back to where you need to be. Hang in there!!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Jun Mon 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Well another update. I had surgery last Thursday. Just happy to get it over with. This one killed me. The pain after was miserable and I was so sick because of all the pain meds they needed to give me. I got out of the recovery room around 4 and didn't leave the hospital until around 9. Just brutal. Thankfully the pain is starting to get better. Its going to be a long recover though and unfortunately our October trip might have to be pushed back until November or December. Looks like in a month I'll go into a cast and really I think they just want to make sure it heals right. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts though! Just glad to be on the road to recovery again.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 19, 2018 11:04 am

Metalfan wrote:Well another update. I had surgery last Thursday. Just happy to get it over with. This one killed me. The pain after was miserable and I was so sick because of all the pain meds they needed to give me. I got out of the recovery room around 4 and didn't leave the hospital until around 9. Just brutal. Thankfully the pain is starting to get better. Its going to be a long recover though and unfortunately our October trip might have to be pushed back until November or December. Looks like in a month I'll go into a cast and really I think they just want to make sure it heals right. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts though! Just glad to be on the road to recovery again.
Wow, glad you are through that first part ~ hopefully it is smoother sailing from here on out! Are you able to work at home during all this?