California is more expensive than... China?!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

California is more expensive than... China?!

Post by horizons1 » Nov Tue 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Here's a fact that was shocking, at least to me:

It can be cheaper for me to fly to Shanghai, spend three nights in a Disney hotel and two days in the park than for me to fly to Disneyland in California. Mind you, I live in PHOENIX!

The forces at work here are crazy-cheap fares to China and relatively low cost of tickets and hotel nights compared with those at the Original.

Phoenix to Shanghai (PVG) Thursday 2/15 through Monday 2/19 $663
3 nights in the Toy Story Hotel (4th night is an overnight flight) $250/night
2 day park ticket $86
TOTAL: $1499 for one person

Phoenix to Los Angeles (LAX) Friday 2/16 through Monday 2/19 $164
3 nights in the Paradise Pier Hotel $1176
2 day park hopper ticket $244
TOTAL: $1584 for one person

Now I know you'll say "Wait, 2/19 is President's day." Well, that doesn't seem to make much difference. The lowest rate I found lowered the hotel a bit but the California hotels are so expensive I could only manage to get the total down to $1440, just $59 less than flying all the way to Shanghai. Plus it's Paradise Pier, yuck.

I set aside incidentals. Ground transportation and food are cheaper in China but a person might need to pay for a visa so let's call that a wash. This only seems to work for Shanghai. Hong Kong and Tokyo don't enjoy the cheap airfare. And if two people travel then California becomes cheaper than China. Still.

Crazy? I think so.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: California is more expensive than... China?!

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Wow ~ that does seem crazy. But I have to say, the last few trips we have made to Disneyland, I would have to say prices are getting out of control. My brothers were in charge of accommodations on our last two trips and we didn't stay on property and other than missing out on the EMH, there was no downside to staying offsite. We had nicer hotels and it was far less expensive. I hadn't priced tickets before we went and I was shocked at how much they actually cost! WDW is quickly becoming out of my price range as well, and I really like the convenience of staying on property there so that one is a difficult one for me to convince myself I need to stay somewhere else.
Soooo, going to China anytime soon?

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 29, 2017 10:44 am

There is no way of getting around high prices when planning a Disney vacation in the US. I don't know anything about prices at the other parks so I won't comment on that. Looks like some of the ticket prices are much lower, though.

Having said THAT... Unless I was given some kind of crazy deal or free nights or something, I wouldn't be staying on property to go to DLR. The only hotel there that somewhat interests me is the Grand Californian, but it's crazy expensive. Staying off-property, you'll pay in the $200/night range for a good hotel, and if you use Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART) you can easily get where you want to be for hardly any cost at all. I mean it. $12 for a 3-day pass! Or maybe it was 4 days... that doesn't matter. Uber is also very reasonable.

It's not like Florida, where if you're off-property it takes an hour plus to get where you want to go. You can manage both your meal expenses and your lodging cost by staying off-property. (I know of a good Thai restaurant in Anaheim that delivers. FYI.) There are even some family-oriented hotels with bunk bed suites and kitchenettes. It was for a work training, but the Mariott Suites was a great place to stay - kind of far but had lots of room in the suite.

Keep in mind, too, that the weather in Shanghai in February could be pretty daggone cold. They may have discounted things because it's not the best time of year to go.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Fri 01, 2017 10:10 am

I'm just not a fan of staying offsite. Having stayed onsite at every Disney resort (except the non theme park ones like Aulani) I have to say the experience of being completely surrounded by the magic 24 hours a day is what appeals to me.

CY, I am sure time of year is a factor but being able to ever say a Disney weekend an 18-hour flight away is cheaper than one 1-hour away is shocking.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.