Veterans Day 2005

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gizmata
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Veterans Day 2005

Post by Gizmata » Nov Tue 15, 2005 2:28 am

Veterans day weekend had a huge crowd that seemed larger than those I remember this summer in June. Friday and Saturday they added a third Fantasmic at 11:30pm, though both were not heavily attended they did have a decent turnout. The fireworks drew huge crowds at the hub and near Small World, but if you could find a good spot it was well worth the wait.

Space Mountain had huge lines as well, and only was partially saved as Small World had just opened with the holiday overlay. Even so there was a huge wave of people headed that way when the gate dropped, and I don't remember ever seeing the wait under an hour.

Even with the Columbia, canoes, and now Space Mountain Open there were still tons of people everywhere.

With fast pass and careful planning (along with an afternoon nap/break) things still were pretty fun.

Low Points:
Space Mountain 2hour waits, and Code-V
Small Worlds huge line. To think people this ride was a bigger draw than Buzz lightyear at times. :)
Block Party blocking the way to dinner. Got out of Aladin just as the parade started and being told we would have to go through condor flats to get back to the mexican place near the tortilla factory.
"Classic Items" I just don't like the classical styling of the new items.

High Points:
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. After being totally disappointed by the replacement show at WDW I was very skeptical of this show. The music was decent and the humor was pretty good, which made for a good show.
Space Mountain: New super quiet track. great effects, and a much darker interior makes for a great ride.
Live Ragtime: Alan Thompson was amazing on the Piano at Coke Corner and near there at the other Piano Saturday and Sunday. If you have a chance, stop by and watch his hands fly over the keys as he plays wonderful ragtime.
Remember: The fireworks from the Hub was worth the wait. We saw the show near the Plaza Inn between the grassy areas. The view of the castle projections was not the best, but we could see the Matterhorn, Castle and a pretty good view of all the ariel effects.
Buzz Lightyear High Score: Thanks to a modest stop in the first room I got a little over 1 million points and somehow was the highest score for all day.

Muppets 3D entrance has moved to the hollywood boulevard as the area towards the Monsters INC has been blocked off. They have a sign but when people are waiting for the show or food it may be easy to miss.

Overall Disneyland really seemed caught off guard by the crowds and had a tough time trying to cope with it. I ended up on the last run of Casey Jr at 11pm, only to see it open 20 min later because they found extra staff to reopen it.

If you expect to go on lots of e-ticket rides, Veterans Day is likely a poor choice. However it may be better other years as this year had Space Mountain new, Small World and the rest of the holiday items freshly up to add to the crowds.

If you have any questions please ask.

-Giz