December 2017 at WDW

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: December 2017 at WDW

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Mon 26, 2018 8:01 am

Did someone mention beer? :lol: :lol:

Raglan Road is ok--We went for lunch one day and it was dead in there--I suppose when it gets going with the dancers and such it's really fun.

Totally agree about DTD errrr DS :roll: Its just too much like a mall with all the stores that I will never buy anything from. We used to go every trip, but not any more. The last time I went, I just went to the Indiana Jones bar (Jock's??) and drank a beer while the women shopped.
Of course I still go get my free chocolate--I need to do what you did I am Sulley and try and get 2! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 26, 2018 8:10 am

I can't believe you guys are such amateurs when it comes to scamming a few extra pieces of chocolate?! We always got two, and Figment usually ended up with two the first time and then another two her second trip around. Something to be said for being extra sweet and charming ;) :lol:
And no guilty thoughts either because we spent enough actual money on Ghiradelli chocolates the rest of the year that a few extra samples weren't going to hurt their bottom line ;)

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Sun 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Day 7 Monday 11th December

The day started with us doing a ride we had never been on before. Soarin' .Yes Soarin! How had we missed this you may well ask. I think when the girls were little we chose to leave it out. But when we went in 2011 we completely forgot :shock:
How I don't know but we did. Our 0940 Fastpass saw us strapped in for the ride and a wonderful experience it was too. It seems to last for longer than it actually does but is definitely a not to be missed ride.
Loving Epcot like we do there was time for a bit more exploration of World Showcase before our Fastpass for Spaceship Earth.
ImageEpcot - Spaceship Earth by wdw1998, on Flickr
This is my wife's favourite attraction but I just wish the video of our future home would send to the UK. It failed again. :(
We took lunch at Sunshine Seasons in The Land (Enormous Sandwiches!) before embarking on a Monorail trip arpound "The World"

Departing Epcot we headed for the Transportation & Ticket Centre. We changed onto a the Resort Monorail alighting at the Grand Floridian Resort. Of course apart from taking a stroll around this beautiful Hotel we had come to see the famous Gingerbread House.
ImageGingerbread House by wdw1998, on Flickr
Yes it's impressive but we both preferred the Carousel in the Beach Club. We reboarded the Monorail and completed the circuit via the Contemporary Resort back to the Transportaion & Ticket Centre. A quick dash and we boarded, with seconds to spare, the ferryboat Admiral Joe Fowler to cross Seven Seas Lagoon to Magic Kingdom. I googled him and now know who he is.

We arrived in Magic Kingdom as the sun was going down we had nothing booked as we had come for the double fireworks show. We headed into Adventureland, wait time for Pirates was 30 mins so we joined the queue. It's a classic ride which we enjoy but I'm not sure the Jack Sparrow throne room worked for me. Back to the Castle to watch A Fozen Holiday Wish, a short show but good in the way the castle is illuminated for the evening. And even a Hidden Mickey in the lights :mickey:
ImageHidden Mickey by wdw1998, on Flickr
We got something to eat at the Pinocchio Village Haus before wandering through Fantasyland and walking straight on to Under The Sea, again (no wait)
As we headed back to the Castle we succumbed to our second Funnel cake from Sleepy Hollow. I told you we had to have it again
We got a reasonable position at the top of Main Street to Watch Happily Ever After. This was so much better than the video. Of course the atmosphere of being there makes these shows so much better. Several people went when this finished so we decided to move a little closer for Once Upon a Time. I always feel it's best not to be too close for these displays but we were at the back of the central hub which was fine as there is much more projection in this show.
10 o'clock, fireworks over and catch a bus back.
Tomorrow is Christmas Party Day
:ccat:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 09, 2018 6:55 am

Another nice day ~ we also liked the carousel better than the gingerbread house :D
I can't believe you had never been on Soarin' before :shock: Glad you finally got to experience it ~ you are one up on me as I've not been on the Soarin' Around the World incarnation yet.
Looking forward to the Christmas party :goofy_bounce:

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Apr Mon 09, 2018 9:24 am

The gingerbread shingles are pretty tasty though! As are the other goodies for sale in the Gingerbread House.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Never been a big gingerbread fan so have never tried the shingles at WDW. Maybe I should on my next visit though

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Tue 10, 2018 11:34 am

I had shingles when I was younger. Wasn't very fun. HA HA HA!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 10, 2018 8:24 pm

horizons1 wrote:I had shingles when I was younger. Wasn't very fun. HA HA HA!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Sun 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Day 8 Tuesday 12th December

Christmas Party Day. It was going to be a long one so no need to rise early. We started by walking across to Fantasia Gardens for the third round of our holiday challenge. Miniature Golf or as us Brits call it Crazy Golf (a much better name) is a regular on our UK seaside resort trips, so this was a must. Apparently our package allowed us to play free, I wish I had known this earlier! As ever this was a fun close fought competition which I won by 4 shots despite a terrible last hole. So I led the challenge 2-1.
ImageFantasia Gardens by wdw1998, on Flickr

We returned to our room, changed and then headed for Magic Kingdom arriving in good time for our late lunch booking at The Liberty Tree. My wife made the mistake of opting for the Patriot's Platter, this was delicious but simply too much for her and she had to skip dessert.
Finishing lunch we crossed over to Tomorrowland for our Fastpass for Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. We love this particularly after my staring role in 2011 :roll: . I wasn't picked this time, but a good laugh anyway. With a bit of spare time we rode the PeopleMover and then the Carousel of Progress. This really is quite good and probably ignored by many as it's tucked away to one side. As you know my wife is not a coaster fan but had agreed to do the new 7 Dwarfs Mine Train having seen a video and been assured that Big Thunder Mountain was worse. Our Fastpass was for 5.30 just as the sun had gone. Her verdict "I thought I was going to die". My verdict an enjoyable coaster if a bit short. BTM still the best.

We collected our Party wristbands and ate a sandwich at Columbia Harbour House. Darkness had fallen and the projections everywhere change the atmosphere. We had a plan for the evening so it was time to see if it worked.
First off, Cookies at Pete's Silly sideshow, very nice, then Chocolate and Cider before heading to the Castle for Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration. Being the first show of the evening this was busy but we had a good spot. This is fun, almost sing a long, with some favourite holiday tunes and catchy new ones. We held our place as a lot of people did for Frozen Holiday Wish. A short show in which Elsa lights the Castle. However this meant that we were late to get a good spot for the Parade. We were near the top of Main Street. We had a good view but lighting was not that good for photography. A great parade with my personal highlight being the Toy Soldiers. These are something I have always wanted to see and was not disappointed. The choreography is good and of course the sound is fantastic as they march down Main Street, something you don't get from anything else.
ImageToy Soldiers by wdw1998, on Flickr

We then headed for the Totally Tomorrowland Christmas Show. I feel this is possibly missed by many with only about 250 to 300 in the audience. A fun amusing musical show featuring Buzz Lightyear and Stitch. We got some more Cookies and Hot Chocolate and watched the children dancing with the Polar Bears and Reindeer at Club Tinsel/Cosmic Ray's. So sureal, but the kids love it.
I have to say I tried a Snickerdoodle Cookie, sorry but it was awful :( , I didn't get past the first bite. It went in the bin!
Back to the Castle for Holiday Wishes a spectacular firework display before grabbing some more Hot Chocolate then going further down Main Street for the Parade again. A better spot lighting wise but it was busier so not as good a view. Oh those Toy Soldiers again!
Most people went after the late parade so we popped back for a final challange on Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin. Once again my Wife beat me on this. So our holiday challenge ended all square at 2 each.
The park seemed to be emptying rapidly so we took up a great position for the 11:55 performance of Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration.
ImageMickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse by wdw1998, on Flickr

At quarter past midnight the show and party was over so we dragged our tired legs to the bus back to the Yacht Club
Was it worth it?
You bet it was!
:ccat:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Wow ~ another great day! :D Sounds like you might have been sloshing from all that hot cocoa and cider at the holiday party :lol:

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » May Tue 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Amy wrote:Wow ~ another great day! :D Sounds like you might have been sloshing from all that hot cocoa and cider at the holiday party :lol:
We had to wash the cookies and chocolate down with something and it was a chilly evening :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 02, 2018 7:10 am

I am Sulley wrote:
Amy wrote:Wow ~ another great day! :D Sounds like you might have been sloshing from all that hot cocoa and cider at the holiday party :lol:
We had to wash the cookies and chocolate down with something and it was a chilly evening :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, I thought it polite not to mention the amount of cookies ;)
I have to agree with you on the commercial snickerdoodles, and sadly most of the cookies, they just aren't that great. But it is fun to munch on them at an event like this :goofy_bounce:

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Jun Sun 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Day 9 Wednesday 13th December

Well after a late night what do you do? Have a relaxing day of course!
We strolled out of the hotel on a beautiful sunny morning with no plans apart from the evening. "No plans!" you say "but you're at Disney"
Ok we had plans but they were loose
We took a friendship boat from the pier and cruised up to Studios. Booked a Fastpass for Beauty & the Beast and set about picking up a last few souveniers including my "Oooooooh!" Alien Mug.

ImageThe Kiss by wdw1998, on Flickr

This was technically a spying mission of Beauty & the Beast as our eldest daughters' dance school were doing this for their show in March. We were looking for a few tips. Ha Ha
After lunch at PizzeRizzo we made our way to catch the bus to Wilderness Lodge. Somehow we ended up on the wrong one (not like me) and ended up at the camp ground :shock:
So we had to get another to Wilderness Lodge, we had a nice tour though!

ImageDisney's Wilderness Lodge by wdw1998, on Flickr
This was another thing on our list as I wanted to see the giant Christmas Tree in the lobby. We enjoyed the view from several floors before heading outside to explore further. My wife concluded that she did not like the Wilderness Lodge. As this had been one of the places we considered staying maybe it is as well we didn't.
Time now to get another bus back to the Campground for the Hoop-dee-doo Revue. There was a wait of about 45 mins and the sun was starting to set, a light breeze was coming off the lake, It was freezing! We were all like a bunch of penguins huddling together and taking turns to get a warm on the inside of the group. We soon warmed up inside to enjoy an extremely hearty meal, more than an enough for two, and some good old fashioned entertainment. I even got to play the washboard at the end, something my Grandad taught me to do as a child :D
ImagePioneer Hall by wdw1998, on Flickr

After the show it was once more into the cold. We took the boat back to Magic Kingdom but as the wind was so chilling we abandoned our plan to Monorail back to Epcot and walk through. So we took the bus direct to the Yacht Club to warm up

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 03, 2018 9:10 pm

What a nice relaxing day. What didn't your wife care for at Wilderness Lodge?

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Jul Fri 13, 2018 10:17 am

Amy wrote:What a nice relaxing day. What didn't your wife care for at Wilderness Lodge?
It was all the wood! She felt it was too dark and I can see her point. For me it reminded me a bit of "Twin Peaks"