Disneyland 2016

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disneyland 2016

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Trying, so far unsuccessfully, to see if we can score a tour at Pixar while we are out in California. My brother is asking a few contacts he knows, which are in the LA area, even though Pixar Studios are in the northern part of California not far from where they live. I was a bit excited when a former piano family reached out to let me know that two of their kids had Pixar connections, but it turns out the one isn't in touch with their friend and hasn't been for a long time. Still waiting to hear back from the other one who had a more direct connection anyhow. Fingers crossed, but not trying to get my hopes up too high. Doesn't hurt to inquire and dream though ~ that got us to dine at Club 33 on our last trip! :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Any suggestions for a movie for the plane? I took Cars the last time we went because neither of us had seen the movie before and we wanted to have some reference for Carsland in DCA. Has to be something that is available on regular DVD because my computer doesn't have a blueray player. Thanks for any suggestions. :D

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Alive, Flight, or a bootleg of that Sully movie are always good choices. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Alive, Flight, or a bootleg of that Sully movie are always good choices. :D
Oh Wizz, you're so sweet and thoughtful ;)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Alive is also a Disney film distributed by Buena Vista Pictures, so it is the obvious choice.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Mon 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Amy wrote:Any suggestions for a movie for the plane? I took Cars the last time we went because neither of us had seen the movie before and we wanted to have some reference for Carsland in DCA. Has to be something that is available on regular DVD because my computer doesn't have a blueray player. Thanks for any suggestions. :D
Saving Mr. Banks followed by Mary Poppins (That Disneyland nostalgia)
Inside Out (If you haven't seen it, it's pretty cute. Hubby thinks it's better than I think but he's been wrong before.)
Guardians of the Galaxy..... well if the new ride overlay was going to be done. Nvm.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (it's good. It's not amazing, but it's good.)
Under the Tuscan Sun; Eat, Pray, Love; and Notting Hill are favorite chick-flicks of mine, and Ellie's too. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the first two. Inside Out was actually playing on our last plane trip home, although I only got to see about 20 minutes of it because of the shorter flight and all the other commercial stuff they played :( Mom wasn't interested in watching it at all. I thought the same thing about Guardians of the Galaxy :lol: And neither of us would probably be very interested in the Star Wars movies. I might check out Under the Tuscan Sun though, that sounds interesting.
I'm currently working on a packing list which is a little trickier than expected. Originally we were going to be at my brother's from our arrival on Tuesday afternoon to our departure for southern California on Saturday am so we were planning on a little load of laundry there on Friday. But my brother got selected for leadership training in Monterey and wanted us to come along since there are some nice things to see there. So we will leave for there on Wednesday after work, and not return until late Friday evening, before we turn around and leave Saturday morning again. What's an extra 5 hours (round trip) in the car?? :shock: The thought did pass through my head this morning that my brother invited us along so he could use the carpool lane...but then I remembered he normally rides his motorcycle so he is probably really wanting the extra time with us :D Plus side ~ probably going to hit the Monterey Aquarium. Minus side ~ cost of the aquarium. $50/adult, $40/senior. My brother's work is listed on the corporate discount list so hoping that shaves a little off. He is staying in some really swanky hotel, we are staying in a "pet friendly" (heaven help us both with our allergies) Travel-lodge that my sister-in-law found which was in the affordable price range of just over $100/night :shock: As anticipated, this trip is getting expensive-er by the day :roll: but it will be nice to see family and go to Disneyland/DCA...and I suppose Universal too. I am actually looking forward to the two Harry Potter rides. And I know my brother loves the Butterbeer so I can have a sip of his to see if I like it without buying a whole one :D
Just over a week to go :shock: :shock: :D :shock:
Still no nibbles on Pixar ~ and with this extra side trip, we are down to just one day, the one before we leave, that we could actually go there if we can work something out. Sigh.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Tue 13, 2016 10:50 am

I can't wait to hear about your trip! I grew up in California, spent almost 40 years there. Love my Cali... have fun my friend!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 13, 2016 1:10 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I can't wait to hear about your trip! I grew up in California, spent almost 40 years there. Love my Cali... have fun my friend!
Thanks cousininmiami :D I will try to do better about getting my pictures and TR up in a timely manner when we return!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Corporate discount tickets for the win ~ down to a more affordable $35 for me and $30 for Mom ~ saving that $25 should let us get a drink at the aquarium that day! :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 16, 2016 7:51 am

I did pick up a Gremlins DVD from the bargain bin ~ both Mom and I enjoy that movie and haven't seen it in ages. But she did find out there is in-flight entertainment as well so I'm not too worried about that. I did think of something this morning though that she would really like to have. I'm going to stop by the bookstore and see if they have a fairly up to date Disneyland guide book. And possibly a Universal one too since we know almost nothing about that park. Or maybe we can see if they have those at the library once we get to my brother's house and have something to read in the car down to Monterey. Choices, choices. Getting close now. Ack!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Fri 16, 2016 11:05 am

Amy wrote:I did pick up a Gremlins DVD from the bargain bin ~ both Mom and I enjoy that movie and haven't seen it in ages. But she did find out there is in-flight entertainment as well so I'm not too worried about that. I did think of something this morning though that she would really like to have. I'm going to stop by the bookstore and see if they have a fairly up to date Disneyland guide book. And possibly a Universal one too since we know almost nothing about that park. Or maybe we can see if they have those at the library once we get to my brother's house and have something to read in the car down to Monterey. Choices, choices. Getting close now. Ack!
I texted you.....

Also, check Walmart's $5 bin. They often have some good classics in there.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 16, 2016 7:04 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:I did pick up a Gremlins DVD from the bargain bin ~ both Mom and I enjoy that movie and haven't seen it in ages. But she did find out there is in-flight entertainment as well so I'm not too worried about that. I did think of something this morning though that she would really like to have. I'm going to stop by the bookstore and see if they have a fairly up to date Disneyland guide book. And possibly a Universal one too since we know almost nothing about that park. Or maybe we can see if they have those at the library once we get to my brother's house and have something to read in the car down to Monterey. Choices, choices. Getting close now. Ack!
I texted you.....

Also, check Walmart's $5 bin. They often have some good classics in there.
Thanks for the offer ~ I think we'll be good with all the info online.
The Walmart I bought the Gremlins DVD from had their bargain bin all organized on shelves! That was the only way I was patient enough to look at them. I have dug through the deep bins before but I think my OCD keeps me from getting too far in that venture! :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 17, 2016 10:27 pm

I would imagine 50 shades of grey is in there, that should work, Hateful 8 is pretty good too.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 18, 2016 8:08 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I would imagine 50 shades of grey is in there, that should work, Hateful 8 is pretty good too.
A definite no to the first one, although I did see that on the shelf. Not a $5 option either. And I've never heard of the second, but I'm guessing it isn't appropriate either :roll: