Need Opinion for Wedding Gift

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Need Opinion for Wedding Gift

Post by cy1229 » Jun Thu 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Hah that got your attention, I bet!

I have a friend, a young teacher, with whom I work reasonably closely. He is getting married this summer and they are honeymooning at WDW. I know he's not at all wealthy, and she just finished her graduate program. They are staying at All-Star Movies and "splurged" on the dining plan, which is very much against his grain as he's often content with a turkey leg and a Dole Whip for his meals (kids... sheesh.... :lol: ). I know they're going to eat at Be Our Guest, Spirit of Aloha, and Sci Fi Dine-in. I don't know how many days they're spending at WDW, I think it's 4 and then on to the beach. So that's the background.

The question is, I want to give them something that contributes toward their trip in some way. They're reasonably well established for their home, and in fact had a registry that they actually have closed out, and I'm pretty sure it was all for their trip (I didn't know you could even do that). So I was thinking it would be nice to do something trip-related that would enhance their trip and be memorable. I want to spend about $100. Pretty sure that rules out the photopass cd, am I right?

Any other suggestions you can give me beyond "just write a check" which is where I'm leaning right this second. I kinda want it to be a little more personal than that and I don't have that creative gene that so many of you do have. So, Help?

Thanks!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Need Opinion for Wedding Gift

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Yeah, I think the photopass is around $150 now. I was thinking a Disney gift card, but if they've already bought the meal plan, and their registry was mostly trip related, then they might already have that covered. Although a gift card could allow them to purchase some souvenirs, or snacks.
Have you given him any advice on shows to see, attractions not to miss, food they might really like, stuff like that?
If you don't come up with anything else, I would lean toward the check rather than a gift card. Cash can be used for anything, anywhere, and while it isn't always thought of as a personal gift, it really can be the most appreciated. Then come up with a poem, witty and clever advice, something like that to put in the card with it which will make it more personalized.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 17, 2016 12:05 am

For something like Disney resorts, it really is hard to give anything other than cash since they had to plan and book everything in advance. If you want to go personal I'd say either bump up and splurge on the photopass (if that can still be added on) for them, or get them a reservation and treat them to a meal at some nice place that they were not going to go to due to the dining plan stuff.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Jun Fri 17, 2016 8:23 am

You could work with Disney Floral and Gifts to have a surprise waiting in their room. Loads of options, distinctive vases to keep, you can add extras to a flower arrangement like a picture frame, etc. They're really good about working with you if you have the name, resort and approximate day they're arriving. I've had nothing but good experiences!

http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Fri 17, 2016 9:05 am

I like that idea, zhoover! I'll have to look into it.

Rob is an avid Disney fan, but I don't think Melanie is as huge a fan as Rob. I was thinking about a wedding-themed autograph book into which they can put photos with the characters but I don't know if Mel will go for that. The big problem is I know Rob pretty well and I don't know Mel at all.

But I do like the idea of pre-arranging and pre-paying an experience or a gift in their room upon arrival. Hmm... I'll have to think and investigate that further.

Thanks y'all!

Keep the ideas coming if you have more!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 17, 2016 10:39 am

zhoover wrote:You could work with Disney Floral and Gifts to have a surprise waiting in their room. Loads of options, distinctive vases to keep, you can add extras to a flower arrangement like a picture frame, etc. They're really good about working with you if you have the name, resort and approximate day they're arriving. I've had nothing but good experiences!

http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/
That's an excellent suggestion!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 23, 2016 7:14 am

My parents had a basket with snacks and champagne waiting on DW and me when we arrived at our resort for our honeymoon. It also had the bride & groom Mickey/Minnie ears in it. It really came in handy when we were in the room in the evening or in the morning for breakfast. If you do send something that includes wine, make sure you also include a wine bottle opener because we didn't have one and had to go buy it from the gift shop which was twice as much of course.

Another option, which costs a little more, is to check their dates to see if Disney is offering the Early Morning Magic. If they are, you could buy them tickets (with the groom knowing about it of course) to that which would give them breakfast and no lines in MK for that one morning. It would be something they probably wouldn't do otherwise and they would know it was personally from you. Of course that all depends on the days it is offered and when they are going.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Jun Thu 23, 2016 4:51 pm

cy1229 wrote: Hmm... I'll have to think and investigate that further.
Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it works out!