Teeny tiny chance of a DL getaway...oh, and Alaska too

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Teeny tiny chance of a DL getaway...oh, and Alaska too

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 13, 2016 2:44 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Spoke to my brother and sister-in-law yesterday. They are really, really pushing for us to come out. Why does airfare have to be so expensive right now?!
P.S. They had a really great time on their Alaskan trip :D
I'm assuming you're using Expedia or Yahoo or whatever to look at all the fares for all the airlines, and see if one airline out and another back is the best deal.

And it's because air travel is in high, high demand right now. Which stinks royally. But I did get a pretty cheap (relatively speaking) flight to Boston for a work trip. It's just the hotels are obnoxiously expensive.

I hope you get to go!
I didn't realize air fare was just up in general at the moment. I suppose it makes sense as the same amount of people are flying and I've heard more than once that airlines have cut the number of planes flying in recent years so planes are flying more full. Yeah, Mom is all over the airfare websites, and a friend of mine who travels a lot visiting family and vice versa, gave us a few new sites we didn't know about. I'm going to have to get on the hotels soon. We might tack on a few extra DL days at the beginning of the trip so we have a little more time there, and then we'll only have to drive one way with my brother, wife and possibly/hopefully my nephew. (They live near San Fran and are driving down, and back, and were planning on us traveling with them. We did that once, in reverse, when they lived in Southern Cali and we went up to visit San Fran. It's a lot of time in the car, and Mom can only really comfortably go an hour or so anymore with all her various aches and pains. Plus my brother does not stop for potty breaks! :shock: )

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I just looked at DL resort hotels ~ the cheapest is over $400 per night! :shock:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Sat 16, 2016 5:36 am

Amy wrote:Oh. My. Gosh. I just looked at DL resort hotels ~ the cheapest is over $400 per night! :shock:
Sure are. It's crazy.

Take a look at some of the hotels down Harbor, and check our ART. Anaheim Resort Transit, I think. I think they'd be able to accommodate your mom just fine. Staying off site isn't as magical but it's half the price. I know the Hyatt has its own complimentary shuttle, too.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 16, 2016 7:57 am

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Oh. My. Gosh. I just looked at DL resort hotels ~ the cheapest is over $400 per night! :shock:
Sure are. It's crazy.

Take a look at some of the hotels down Harbor, and check our ART. Anaheim Resort Transit, I think. I think they'd be able to accommodate your mom just fine. Staying off site isn't as magical but it's half the price. I know the Hyatt has its own complimentary shuttle, too.
Thanks ~ I was going to check with you on where you stayed. Do you know if the public buses have a way to accommodate the ECVs? She is looking at renting off property like she does in WDW as it is about half the cost.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Sun 17, 2016 12:43 pm

cy1229 wrote:Amy, this is the proverbial writing on the wall. I know it's not coincidence that you were thinking about it and then your brother came up with a plan to get your mom to her dream destination!

There will always be things a house needs. There will always be work that needs attention. There will never be a good time to spend that money. No one ever looks back and says she wished she had done more housework. But people do look back and wish they'd taken advantage of opportunities instead of being exceptionally practical. And people always wished they'd had more time and had done things. Always.

What cy1229 said..... :D

Amy, you sooooo should find a way to make this happen. Alaska is definitely on my bucket list, and I can sympathize with your mom. I remember when we were all there together at WDW... how she was so sweet and kind... all the while struggling with her health and mobility issues. Find a way to do it for her before it's too late. You'll never regret it. Maybe you could even try "crowd-funding"...?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Amy, this is the proverbial writing on the wall. I know it's not coincidence that you were thinking about it and then your brother came up with a plan to get your mom to her dream destination!

There will always be things a house needs. There will always be work that needs attention. There will never be a good time to spend that money. No one ever looks back and says she wished she had done more housework. But people do look back and wish they'd taken advantage of opportunities instead of being exceptionally practical. And people always wished they'd had more time and had done things. Always.

What cy1229 said..... :D

Amy, you sooooo should find a way to make this happen. Alaska is definitely on my bucket list, and I can sympathize with your mom. I remember when we were all there together at WDW... how she was so sweet and kind... all the while struggling with her health and mobility issues. Find a way to do it for her before it's too late. You'll never regret it. Maybe you could even try "crowd-funding"...?
Thanks Mousekedude ~ that was a great trip when we all got to meet up :D Yes, Figment struggles even more now, but that is to be expected with age and all her health concerns I suppose. She was just diagnosed with a undetected hairline fracture in her knee from the trip where the lady rammed into her there at WDW and y'all gallantly kept her from completely tipping over. She had been telling them something just wasn't right and on the last trip to a different doctor for something unrelated, they found the fracture. Sadly there isn't really anything they can do about it at this point. She doesn't keep it from getting her down though so that is good. Onward and forward for more Disney fun!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Oh my, planning vacations with family is fun. Wrote to my sister-in-law to figure out what they are planning and they figured 1 day each for DL and DCA and 1 day for Universal and we should be all good. We were hoping to go earlier so we would get a few more days at the Disney parks but they want us to come visit them in northern Cali first before we drive to southern Cali. And they might have a friend that will loan us their RV so we can drive in style. That part is nice, although for some reason the Griswold family keeps flashing through my mind :shock:
Airfare is still hovering around $450/ticket so we hate to not have a little more time in the parks, but my brother can't get away from work for more than those three days :( and they really want us to all drive together as a family. :mickey2: Cue the National Lampoon Vacation theme here....

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Mon 25, 2016 8:41 am

Amy wrote:Oh my, planning vacations with family is fun. Wrote to my sister-in-law to figure out what they are planning and they figured 1 day each for DL and DCA and 1 day for Universal and we should be all good. We were hoping to go earlier so we would get a few more days at the Disney parks but they want us to come visit them in northern Cali first before we drive to southern Cali. And they might have a friend that will loan us their RV so we can drive in style. That part is nice, although for some reason the Griswold family keeps flashing through my mind :shock:
Airfare is still hovering around $450/ticket so we hate to not have a little more time in the parks, but my brother can't get away from work for more than those three days :( and they really want us to all drive together as a family. :mickey2: Cue the National Lampoon Vacation theme here....
What if you and Figment flew to SoCal a little early then rode back to their place with them and left from there? You guys would get a couple extra days and they'd have their together time on the road.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 25, 2016 1:19 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Oh my, planning vacations with family is fun. Wrote to my sister-in-law to figure out what they are planning and they figured 1 day each for DL and DCA and 1 day for Universal and we should be all good. We were hoping to go earlier so we would get a few more days at the Disney parks but they want us to come visit them in northern Cali first before we drive to southern Cali. And they might have a friend that will loan us their RV so we can drive in style. That part is nice, although for some reason the Griswold family keeps flashing through my mind :shock:
What if you and Figment flew to SoCal a little early then rode back to their place with them and left from there? You guys would get a couple extra days and they'd have their together time on the road.
That's what I would like to do, but they really want us to come see the house renovations/my brother's new workplace first as they have a wedding the weekend they are returning back home. Still a work in progress, and quite honestly, the repair bill on the house's a/c that went out yesterday :roll: will have to factor in just a bit. Ugh.
EDIT: This is sort of like my car, but probably much worse in the long run. $500 repair bill today, and they won't finish working on it until an electrician comes out and does some sort of work. No cool air until then. Guess we might be stay-cationing at least the next few nights. Double-Ugh.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Tue 26, 2016 7:59 am

Major bummer! We couldn't survive without A/C in Texas right now. Temps in the high 90's to low 100's, and like... a million percent humidity. :cry:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 26, 2016 11:34 am

Mousekedude wrote:Major bummer! We couldn't survive without A/C in Texas right now. Temps in the high 90's to low 100's, and like... a million percent humidity. :cry:
It's been brutal, although not as bad as it was last week. We are in the high 80's to mid 90's and a bazillion percent humidity. Calls in to two electricians at the moment. Looking like at least one more icky night and day though :(
My friend is in Dallas and she came home from a work trip to find her house was at 92. She too is waiting on repairs. But she doesn't mind the heat so much, so that is nice.
Last edited by Amy on Jul Wed 27, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Tue 26, 2016 10:12 pm

**sigh**

Listen. Relative humidity is measured in percent. 100 is the highest you can get, and at 100% the air is completely saturated, meaning dew (or frost or fog) will form. If you all are at a million or bazillion percent humidity, you're what, under water? How are you even breathing let alone using your electronic devices?

P. S. Amy, bummer about the a/c. Buy a kiddie pool. Teach via Skype.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 27, 2016 7:14 am

cy1229 wrote:**sigh**

Listen. Relative humidity is measured in percent. 100 is the highest you can get, and at 100% the air is completely saturated, meaning dew (or frost or fog) will form. If you all are at a million or bazillion percent humidity, you're what, under water? How are you even breathing let alone using your electronic devices?

Yeah, I still struggle with that whole 100% humidity concept without it being raining. I mean I get it, but yet, I don't 100% get it. I'm a Pisces so perhaps I have gills? ;)
Mom was talking about a kiddie pool the other day :lol: I think she was only half joking. :shock: If it is truly awful, I have a creek I can jump into, but...sadly not the cleanest and a lot of inexperienced kayak traffic with the new landing being used quite nicely by travelers on these warm summer days.
Mom also brought up me teaching a foreign language via Skype or something similar. I told her that I was pretty sure I needed to be fluent in the other language first and she told me to get crackin' on my Spanish studies ~ haha!
Ah, we'll work something out. We always do. Got to remember that what we want isn't always what we get...or need for that matter.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Thu 28, 2016 8:03 am

Hyperbole. (noun): "An extreme exaggeration used to make a point. It is like the opposite of “understatement.” It is from a Greek word meaning “excess.” Hyperboles can be found in literature and oral communication."
:roll: :wink:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Thu 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:**sigh**

Yeah, I still struggle with that whole 100% humidity concept without it being raining. I mean I get it, but yet, I don't 100% get it. I'm a Pisces so perhaps I have gills? ;)
Mom was talking about a kiddie pool the other day :lol: I think she was only half joking. :shock: If it is truly awful, I have a creek I can jump into, but...sadly not the cleanest and a lot of inexperienced kayak traffic with the new landing being used quite nicely by travelers on these warm summer days.
Mom also brought up me teaching a foreign language via Skype or something similar. I told her that I was pretty sure I needed to be fluent in the other language first and she told me to get crackin' on my Spanish studies ~ haha!
Ah, we'll work something out. We always do. Got to remember that what we want isn't always what we get...or need for that matter.
Mousekedude wrote:Hyperbole. (noun): "An extreme exaggeration used to make a point. It is like the opposite of “understatement.” It is from a Greek word meaning “excess.” Hyperboles can be found in literature and oral communication."
:roll: :wink:
Yeah.... Sorry I was maybe a teensy bit grouchy when I wrote that. Had seen a crap-ton of bad science and misuse of stuff and was up to the gills with that and other nonsense going on.

Sorry you guys.

Hyperbole away.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012