My Third WDW Trip Report-Nov 2015

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

My Third WDW Trip Report-Nov 2015

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Mon 15, 2016 9:02 pm

This trip was special for several reasons. The first being that it was my first one to Disney World without parents. I met up with a friend from university for a 4 day side trip to WDW before we continued together to Miami for the wedding of another from our school group.

Day 1:
Our “home” for 4 days. Another first, I’d never stayed in Hoops Hotel at All Star Sports before. It was not what I’d requested being no where near transportation, but we checked in about 11pm so I imagine there wasn’t much left. It wasn’t that bad, although I got evil glares from my friend taking a short cut across the grass first thing in the morning. I hadn’t noticed it was wet and she had crocs on ;)

First stop: Animal Kingdom. Black rhinos on Kilimanjaro Safari trip #1

and a family of elephants.

Over on the Pangani Trail it was breakfast time for the gorillas.

In Dinoland the Christmas decorations were out.

Frosty has invaded! I’m not sure how the other guy is feeling about that.

After taking the above pictures I looked down and discovered this gem.

I hadn’t been to Rafiki’s Planet Watch in some time. Nothing was happening in here but I love the Mickey in scrubs and the hidden Mickey in the brushes hanging on the wall.

The evening continued at Hollywood Studios. What a difference without that sorcerer’s hat!

We grabbed fast passes for Fantasmic and then went to EPCOT for dinner. The Food and Wine festival was finishing this weekend and I’d never been to that before. It was packed! We ate then took the boat back to DHS for the show. But first a stop at the Streets of America for my first (and last since this was the final year) viewing of the Osborne Lights. Pretty angels!

A Mickey soldier :)

There’s something wrong with this photo. I didn’t actually take it as is. To get the writing to read forward I took the mirror image. Inadvertently I then deleted the original. Oops. I really like it though and it's still the desktop image on my computer.

Hidden Mickey at the top of a light tower.

Thankfully the fire didn’t add heat to the Florida evening. The weather was nice and with the crowds no fireplace was needed.

So many lights!

The Rockette’s don’t have anything on these dancing ornaments in the windows on Hollywood Blvd.

Day 2 coming soon!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: My Third WDW Trip Report-Nov 2015

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Yay ~ love all the pictures! The dancing Minnie Mouses, Meeces?, in that window display are some of my favorite Christmas decorations at the studios!
As for the picture you accidentally deleted, does your photo editing program have a place to click for "restore to original"? You might have luck getting your original picture back that way.
Looking forward to day 2 ~ and I need to get back to mine but my iphoto hasn't been cooperating again lately ~ grrrrr!

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Mon 15, 2016 9:33 pm

There is a restore to original, but I think I over saved the original somehow, because it doesn't make any changes. It's okay, I like the flipped one, I just had hoped to do a side by side compare of the images.
I just found your report. An enjoyable read so far, looking forward to more! Good luck with iPhoto :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 16, 2016 8:36 am

ImagineerWannabe wrote:There is a restore to original, but I think I over saved the original somehow, because it doesn't make any changes. It's okay, I like the flipped one, I just had hoped to do a side by side compare of the images.
I just found your report. An enjoyable read so far, looking forward to more! Good luck with iPhoto :)
How strange you can't revert the photo. Oh well, glad you like the new one. You'll have to wait until they set up the Osborne Lights somewhere new and take another one!
Thanks ~ my reports are always slow going because I like to put the details in. I don't know if anyone else cares to read all the way through, or if they just skip through and look at the photos, but it is fun for me to look back at the old ones and sort of take a mini vacation again :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Feb Thu 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Great report so far. More please!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Fri 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Amy wrote: Thanks ~ my reports are always slow going because I like to put the details in. I don't know if anyone else cares to read all the way through, or if they just skip through and look at the photos, but it is fun for me to look back at the old ones and sort of take a mini vacation again :D
We read them! Details are great! I enjoy taking the mini vacations through my photos and living vicariously through others :)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Fri 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Day 2-ECPOT
Today was the last day of the Food and Wine Festival. EPCOT was busy! I was hoping that being the last day everyone would have already visited. No such luck. 5 mins after opening Soarin’ had a 105 min wait. Thankfully we had fastpasses. No multiple rides this trip though with a wait like that so I tried to soak in as much as possible since it will be my last flight ever.

it was so nice to get back inside the Wonders of Life! I picked up one of the food kiosk passports and got stamps when we walked around the lake at any kiosk that didn’t have a line :)

The Ghirardelli booth had some incredible chocolate sculptures based on Disney movies. This one obviously needs no explanation. It’s a good thing the festival was almost over, some were starting to wilt.

I’d never guess this was chocolate. That’s my kind of jungle ;)

It’s the cranberry bog! I had heard of this, but never seen it. A very interesting harvesting method, but whatever works.

Timing of this trip allowed for the free dining plan. We probably didn’t maximize the usage of it, but whenever possible I tried really hard. I did the research on the most expensive snacks and this was one I was anxious to try: a Werther’s caramel and peanut covered apple from Germany, > $6. The caramel was warm and slid off in the slicing process but it was really good. I saved half for the next day.

There was a line for the boat trip through Mexico! I don’t remember the last time that wasn’t a walk on. Oh well, there were still fireworks at the end.

Yay for having a Chase card! We got to see World Showcase from inside the American Adventure. It’s a pretty view and for refreshment the pop machine combinations were endless.

I wish I could grow basil like this! Mine tends to grow tall and nowhere near this dense. Maybe it’s the benefit of the fish swimming below. Not something I can duplicate easily in my kitchen, so the tall, spindly stuff will have to do :)

Ah Mount Mickey, the indication that a soft bed to collapse on (literally), is just around the corner. I don’t think this was the day we walked the most, but my friends pedometer had one day at 30000 steps. This was the night I turned the TV on just to see if anything was on. I said I was going to watch until the next ad in a movie. Hours later I woke up with the movie long over and the TV still on ;) Oops.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 19, 2016 9:25 pm

I would have thought the exact opposite of you ~ that the last day of F & W would be super busy. Too bad waits were so long so you couldn't go on Soarin' twice. I'm not overly sad they are changing the movie as we have had the opportunity to ride it several times between WDW and DL. You're so lucky to have gone up in the American Pavilion for the Visa lounge. I was looking forward to seeing the view but when I asked they told me it was only available during F&W :(
The chocolate sculptures were so detailed!
That's cool you got to see the cranberry bog in person. I'm intrigued after having seen it in several photos of people that have visited. Looks like it would be fun to shuffle through and have the little cranberries knocking up against your waders.
That caramel apple looks really tasty ~ that's pretty neat you could get that for a snack credit!
Fish poop ~ your basil needs more fish poop! ;) :lol: Mine gets spindly too ~ I'm wondering it is has something to do with how often they are turning over their crops too ~ I bet if anything starts to look a bit wilty it's days are numbered on-stage :shock:
I've had to wait for the Gran Fiesta Tour the last few times we've been at EPCOT too, although never longer than about 10 minutes. It's so much harder waiting when you remember when things were more of a walk on all the time.
I never did check how much mileage we put in during the day. I know I had my fitness app on once at night because I was curious how far it was to the room from the bus stop and as I recall it ended up being about 1/2 mile 'round trip. Definitely put a lot of miles in when you are on property ~ but it's a fun walk because there is so much to look at ~ wish my street was half as exciting...and had less dogs which is exciting in a far different manner than I would like when they decide to chase me! :evil:
Loving your trip report so far! Could I maybe send you my pictures and you could do mine?? ;)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Fri 19, 2016 9:32 pm

The last festival day was a Monday which is sort of why I was hoping for lower crowds. It was definitely better than the night before when we were there for a quick dinner. Even busy it was still fun though. Universe of Energy was, as usual, pretty deserted.
I'm a huge fan of the Jerry Goldsmith score of Soarin'. As long as the new one is as good I suppose I'll be happy. If they could keep the oranges that would be nice too ;)
Oh no! Dog dodging is no fun!
I could make up random picture captions for you, but I doubt it would provide a very accurate overview of your vacation :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 19, 2016 9:44 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:The last festival day was a Monday which is sort of why I was hoping for lower crowds. It was definitely better than the night before when we were there for a quick dinner. Even busy it was still fun though. Universe of Energy was, as usual, pretty deserted.
I'm a huge fan of the Jerry Goldsmith score of Soarin'. As long as the new one is as good I suppose I'll be happy. If they could keep the oranges that would be nice too ;)
Oh no! Dog dodging is no fun!
I could make up random picture captions for you, but I doubt it would provide a very accurate overview of your vacation :)
Oh, yeah, I would have thought a Monday would be slower as well. I wonder how many guests were locals making one last hurrah?
I do love the music for Soarin' ~ I would hope the new version would be equally as good. That is one thing I miss at O Canada is the original soundtrack. The song isn't the same with the American Idol singer doing the whole thing instead of the duet they had originally.
Random captions might be fun! :lol:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Fri 19, 2016 10:00 pm

That would be the Canadian Idol singer ;) I agree though, I like the older theme song, but I very much enjoy the Martin Short movie, especially the opening "Canada: cold, where is snows 360 days a year" etc. and the unseen narrator going to France.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sat 20, 2016 9:33 am

I like the addition of Martin Short as well ~ it's a very cute film. And I'm sure it draws more people in with the comedy than the older film. I like the new singer, just not as well as the old ones. If I had still been watching American Idol when she had won, I might feel differently...but I sure liked that old version.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Sat 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Amy wrote:I like the addition of Martin Short as well ~ it's a very cute film. And I'm sure it draws more people in with the comedy than the older film. I like the new singer, just not as well as the old ones. If I had still been watching American Idol when she had won, I might feel differently...but I sure liked that old version.
Even if you had been watching American Idol you wouldn't have seen her win :). Eva Avila, the current "Canada" singer, won Canadian Idol, and I doubt it aired in the US. (Not that I ever watched either version)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 21, 2016 9:06 am

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
Amy wrote:I like the addition of Martin Short as well ~ it's a very cute film. And I'm sure it draws more people in with the comedy than the older film. I like the new singer, just not as well as the old ones. If I had still been watching American Idol when she had won, I might feel differently...but I sure liked that old version.
Even if you had been watching American Idol you wouldn't have seen her win :). Eva Avila, the current "Canada" singer, won Canadian Idol, and I doubt it aired in the US. (Not that I ever watched either version)
Oh! :lol: Just thought she had been on the American version. Makes more sense. Ah well, on to more pictures!

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Mon 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Pictures! As you wish. :)

Day 3 - Hollywood Studios & Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party

Best trip day right here!

Weeks before we arrived I saw a notice that Marty Sklar was going to be at DHS signing his new book. I had really enjoyed his first, “Dream it. Do It”, and had already planned to be at DHS on the day he was going to be there! Perfect! The park was closing early for a cast event, so it wasn’t as busy as it could have been. The hours changed from 9am to 8am though, and we didn’t make park opening. While Toy Story Mania had a shorter wait time than it probably would have on a regular day, at 1 hour I was glad we had fast passes.

I asked at Guest Services where the book signing was and got the run around from 2 different people who said that it was a cast only event. We headed to Rock n’ Roller coaster and rode twice (walk on!) before I decided to take a walk over to the Writer’s Stop just to make sure Guest Relations was right. Turns out they weren’t! There was a sandwich board advertising Marty Sklar’s book signing and a line. It was a hot wait in the sun, but paid off! This is one of my favourite photos from the whole trip. He was very nice and signed his new book. :)

Before settling in for an afternoon of shows we rode Star Tours. My friend who is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am went twice to see the scenes from the new movie that had just been added this week. Good timing!

It’s tricky to find the Earful Tower these days and about to get harder (I hear they’re removing it :() One last photo from the stands of Lights, Motors, Action. It was an interesting show in that the hero car broke down at one point and they had to pause to get the back up one out.

There weren’t many differences in The Great Movie Ride even though Turner Classic Movies is now a sponsor. That was our last ride before we headed back to the hotel after a quick stop at Starring Rolls Cafe. I was looking forward to a chocolate peanut butter cupcake as my dining plan snack for the day. Unfortunately they were sold out. Total aside: the yoga instructor in the class I went to Sunday morning sounded just like the narrator on the live movie ride version requestable on Subsonic :)

The second highlight of the day was going to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party for the first time.

We got there early and I got in line to meet Princess Aurora (my favourite) and Snow White. Hmm, ok to be honest, it was the fact that the Princes were there too that was the real draw. ;) The Princesses are around elsewhere but the Princes hide.

Turns out Snow White’s Prince’s first name is just “The” :) I was going to ask what his first name was but Snow White dominated the conversation.

I wanted to see everything that was a special party event. The shorter ride lines were really tempting but we saved that until later. We started with The Totally Tomorrowland Christmas Party. It was hosted by Haley Comet (hehe) and was a cute story with Mike, Buzz,

and Stitch.

Right after that show a new group, Voiceplay, took the stage. They are a 5 guy acapella group and were fantastic!

The Castle all dressed up in icicle lights. So pretty :)

The Celebrate the Season show was pretty good too. Mickey and the gang were all dressed up in their wintery best.

The snowmen and bears (which remind me of the Kraft peanut butter bears) were so cute!

We had a pretty good spot to watch the Celebrate the Magic Projection show too. It was pretty much the regular pre-fireworks projection show with an extra Christmas segment at the end. The Castle makes a very pretty poinsettia tree.

We watched the second showing of The Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. It was pretty tricky to get good photos, but I got a few lucky shots. Olaf wasn’t giving hugs, but had his own float!

Goofy was presiding over the candy machine float. Yummy.

It’s The Prince again ;)

I’ve always liked the Toy Soldiers when watching the Christmas Day parade on TV so I was quite excited to see them live! There were a lot of them.

Mickey starts the parade and Santa ends it.

It was lots of fun getting cookies, apples, hot chocolate, and apple juice at the various stands. Plus it actually snows on Main Street! Awesome way to end the night :)